Join our zoo community

Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens Sumatran rhino move.

Discussion in 'United States' started by Pertinax, 15 Feb 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Dont forget London zoo ( 36 arces) is very old and cant really expand unless the London city council let them have some of Regents park.

2. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

javan rhino in captivity...

the idea of bringing javan rhinos into captivity is highly unlikely - the idea of bringing them into captivity in the UK is rediculous and counter productive.

currently the only real thing stopping the rhinos from bouncing back is adequate protection and expansion of their habitat in indonesia. nonetheless they are breeding in the wild, seem well protected from poachers and have very few predators other than the possiility that the occasional newborn is lost to leopards.

the vietnamese rhino however are a total write-off. these could be captured and brought into captivity, but any real attempt at breeding is likely to rely on indonesia agreeing to animals being captured in java to hybridise with the mainland subspecies. thats unlikely and arguably not even particuarly benificial.

better off take any breeding age animals from vietnam to java...

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Its been talked about a number of times- unfortunately I don't think it will ever happen.

4. Pertinax

5. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

It would be sad if they became extinct.

6. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

agreed grant.

the habitat in vietnam is less than ideal. so taking the breedable vietnamese animals (if any) to java might be a smarter option.

this is one scenario where i would support capture, the population is going to die anyway and we may find its more benificial to species as a whole if we have something to learn from studying animals in captivity. however, id'e still suggest a sumatran rhino-type sanctuary in asia - not a zoo.

7. Writhedhornbill

Couldn't rhino keepers from around the world go to Java/Vietnam and work to improve the habitat of the rhinos and give the keepers some advice as to how to care for the species.

8. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

I have a suspicion, though I could be wrong, that the National Park where the Indonesian Javans live is isolated by agriculture, that there is little room for the population to expand. Wasn't there some talk a decade ago about moving some animals onto an offshore island?

9. Writhedhornbill

That would have been a good idea. But like all conservation programmes it relies on international cooperation.

10. Pertinax

11. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

I feel taking a couple of spare males from Java could be good good idea and releasing them with the females in Vietnam.

12. Writhedhornbill

What other zoos have had Sumartran or Javan Rhinos? There is Cincinnati, Bronx, Los Angeles, Port lympe and London.

13. Pertinax

Nope. Only Cincinnati have and breed Sumatran rhino. Nwhere else in zoos anywhere. No Javan rhino in captivity anywhere.

14. Writhedhornbill

Bronx used to have an Elderly female and Los Angeles own the pair at Cincinnati but they are on loan.

15. Pertinax

Sorry, misread it- HAVE HAD, okay you're correct.

Cpenhagen & Basel each had a female Sumtran rhino in the 1960/70's. Copenhagen's lived for many years. Calcutta kept Sumatran rhin0 in 1800's- that's where first breeding was. Los Angeles had Andalas for a while before being returned to Sumatra.

Only Javan I know of was at Adelaide but probably others elsewhere..

16. Pertinax

Bronx's old female was called RApunzel- I think she was deposited by Cincinnati as they wanted the space and she was too old.

I know Emi was 'owned' by Los Angeles but not sure about the male 'Ipuh' I think he went direct from Asia to Cincinnati?. Not that sure the USA zoos where they were sent to owned them anyway.

17. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Male Ipuh is on loan from the indonesian gouvernment to Cincy Zoo. He was flown to LA and stayed a couple of months at San Diego Zoo before being transported to Cincy Zoo.

more info:

..:: Welcome To The Cincinnati Zoo ::..

18. Pertinax

It says he stayed 6 months(April-October) at San Diego 'until Cincinnati's exhibit was ready'. I guess he was destined for Cincinnati and San Diego was only a temporary stopover. Emi on the other hand was sent Los Angeles first, Cincinnati later. I guess Indneasian Govt owns them all, even the Cincinnati born ones?

19. Writhedhornbill

San Diego is an Awful place for Rhinos. The wild animal park is Soo much better in that respect.

20. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

a did u know fact- adelaide zoo had one of the only jarvan rhinos ever in captivity, it is proudly displayed at the adelaide museum.

it lived its life as a indian rhino, but after its death over 80 years ago, was discovered to be javan!!!!

there is also a stuffed baby javan at melbournes museum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.