Join our zoo community

Sumatran Rhino News.

Discussion in 'United States' started by Pertinax, 27 Apr 2007.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Cincinnati update.

The third calf 'Harapan' born at Cincinnati has now been transferred to the White Oak breeding centre(this news from an American thread) Presumably his mother 'Emi' is being put with Ipuh again soon/already for another mating.

2. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

That wont be happening until the spring.

3. Pertinax

okay, thanks. I thought I was posting this important news of Harapan's move on the General Forum, for anyone who missed it but I used the wrong thread!

Cincinnati don't seem to have publicised Harapan's departure at all. Any reason for that? And how has he settled in? I suppose its far too early for any projections on his longterm future?

Last edited: 17 Nov 2008
  4. okapikpr

Yes you are right to assume that it is early for any projections. Harapan is settling in good...we are all still getting used to the new routine for him. Sumatran Rhino management is much different from other rhinos.

5. Pertinax

I would be very interested to hear a few examples of what you have found different....

6. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

So would I :)
    I guess there's no chance of getting him a female. Shame :(

7. okapikpr

*the necessary shade structures that cover the animals' entire day pen...he can be given other pens when the sun isnt out, but it is important to watch the amount sunlight to shift him back to his day yard.
    *daily bath
    *more sensitive to cold temperatures
    *browse requirements, gets fed more often
    *Solitary nature

Nothing has been even mentioned about this on the forums. Remember, he is still a baby and has many years until he matures.

8. Pertinax

Thanks, that's very interesting.
    I presume he has access to a mud wallow? Sumatrans both in the wild and in zoos(if they can) seem to spend many hours of the day immersed totally in liquid mud. Does Harapan do this and is it for a set period of the day?

9. okapikpr

All rhinos should have some kind of access to a mud wallow. And yes little Harapan spends as much time in his wallow as possible.

10. okapikpr

Word out of Indonesia....

11. loxodonta

loxodonta Well-Known Member

That is great news. Its really cool to see a captive bred animal (not to mention something as rare as a sumatran rhino) go back to its home country and help contribute to its population even if it isn't the wild. Cincy should be so proud of its success with sumatran rhinos. I hope that little place in Yulee can do the same when Harry gets older, lol.

12. okapikpr

13. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

What about Emi and Ipuh at Cincy, are they together now to breed again ?

14. okapikpr

A chart of what the SRS plans to do next:

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhinosirf/3407067101/"]Layout of SRS on Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3564/3407067101_68fcf0241a.jpg?v=0@@AMEPARAM@@3407067101@@AMEPARAM@@68fcf0241a[/ame]

15. Pertinax

I find it a little strange there hasn't been any pregnancy from either Ratu or Rosa already. I'm perplexed as to why it seems so difficult to breed these animals when they are living under semi-natural conditions.

The fact that Torgamba is mentioned again indicates that despite his health problems he has still not been written off for breeding.

16. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think the reason why neither Rosa nor Ratu are pregnant yet is the lack of a suitable, experienced male - Torgamba is near infertile and Andalas still very young and inexperienced. I am sure with Ipuh, both would already be pregnant. Let`s pray that Andalas will mature very, very soon...

17. Pertinax

I am sure you are right in this. having seen photos of Torgamba mating with Bina, I hoped maybe he could succeed with the younger females but that was before his health/fertility problems arose.

It really does seem to be a case( at least until now) of 'bad timing' in not having a productive, healthy mature bull available. Otherwise those young females should both have been pregnant by now. As you say, Andalas is now the big hope...everything seems to rest with him.