Join our zoo community

Sumatran Rhino Torgamba passed away

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Tarsius, 25 Apr 2011.

1. Tarsius

Tarsius Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, Torgamba, the male Sumatran Rhino which has lived for 11 Years at Port Lympne and send back to Indonesia in 1998, died today at the Sumatran Rhino Sanctuary at Way Kambas National park.

2. hantslad

hantslad Well-Known Member

Torgamba

R.I.P Torgamba, i was lucky enough to see Torgamba wen he arrived at Port Lympne,as at the time i was a keeper on the elephant section.

3. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What a damn shame.....

Do we know the cause?

I'm not usually that concerned about the loss of individuals, being much more 'population-focused' in the main but having seen Torgamba at Port Lympne (still my only Sumatran Rhino) I have followed his progress closely over the years.

A real loss...

Still no breeding at the in-situ station......should have sent them all to Cincinatti....

4. hantslad

hantslad Well-Known Member

Newzooboy my guess could well be old age, but hope in time the cause of death will be announced...

5. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In hindsight, none of them should have been taken out of Asia, given how poor the knowledge of their husbandry requirements proved to be.

6. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sad news indeed, i remember seeing him in his holding enclosure in front of his house, whistling and squeaking to his hearts content a memory that will stay with me forever.

7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I saw him four times. Best of all I have a treasured photo of myself feeding him fruit.:)
    Unfortunately he was never able to contribute to the captive breeding programme, either at Port Lympne or after returning to Way Kambas. I imagine his death was age-related and he had suffered from kidney problems in the past too.

8. peacock

peacock Well-Known Member

Precisely. Cincinnati's achievements had everything to do with research and absolutely nothing to do with their location - which was about as far from ideal as you can get. Way Kambas, on the other hand is as ideal as possible.

The problem is that we need to start taking the expertise to the animals as opposed to the more traditionally selfish method of the other way round.

Ps - Tarsius, you troll. Are you not going to write a song in honour of Torgamba?

9. Pertinax

I think all concerned in that fateful mass translocation assumed they would be no more difficult to breed in captivity than other rhino species. The reality proved very different.

I am surprised there has not been a 2nd pregnancy announced from Way Kambas yet..:( unless they are keeping it lower profile this time.

10. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

Why antagonize?

11. Dallaspachyderm

Dallaspachyderm Well-Known Member

12. Pertinax

I didn't know that 'Ratu' had conceived more than once. Maybe its time to bring out the Progesterone sandwiches...?

13. Tarsius

Tarsius Well-Known Member

@Peacock. Sorry, not this time, Torgamba was just a Sumatran Rhino, Knut was the world most beloved polar bear, that's a big diffrence. So, no song for Torgamba !

14. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Aahh, SH..

Also didn't know Ratu conceived twice (afaik only one time was made public). That's hopeful news indeed, and i would also say more of those progesteron snacks...

15. orangutanborneo

orangutanborneo New Member

Rest In Peace Torgamba.