Join our zoo community

Sumatran Rhinos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Cat-Man, 17 Jul 2011.

1. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

hello all:)
    could some people give em some infomation about zoo's that have kept sumartran rhino's in the past, where was there enclosure and when were they kept. I am particuarly intrested about rhino's in London Zoo, Port Lypne, Copenhagen Zoo, San Diego Zoo, L.A Zoo and Bronx Zoo. But i am genuinly intrested in all zoo's that have held this species:)

Thanks all, Dan:)

2. Middle Man

Middle Man New Member

Please check out the "Malaysia - other" Gallery for some photos of Sumatran rhinos at Sungai Dusun ! I have to say that the place does not exist anymore because all the rhinos had died by the end of 2003 due to infections. Unbelievable tragedy !

3. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

London Zoo had a number of Sumatran rhinos.

The first ‘Begum’, a female, was purchased from the once famous animal dealer William Jamrach on 14 February 1872 and she died 31 August 1900. This animal was the type-specimen of the subspecies lasiotis the hairy-eared rhino.

Another individual ‘Jackson’, a male, arrived 27 April 1886 and died 22 November 22 1910.

London Zoo had several other Sumatran rhinos, but these were the two best known. I believe that all the London Zoo Sumatran rhinos were kept in the old Elephant House.

I was fortunate enough to be taken to see the Port Lympne Sumatran rhino ‘Torgamba’ before it went on display; it was then kept at Coombe Farm. The only place where I ever saw the Port Lympne rhinos on show was in the accommodation that was subsequently used for Malayan tapirs.

L. C. Rookmarker (1998) records that the female Sumatran rhinoceros ‘Subur’ was at Copenhagen Zoo between 4 December 1959 and 24 February 1972.

Various other European zoos have also kept Sumatran rhinos in the past including Basle, Berlin and Vienna.

When I saw the Bronx Zoo Sumatran rhinoceros in 1990 it was living in the old Elephant House. I cannot comment on the enclosures that the Sumatran rhinos were kept in at San Diego or Los Angeles as I never saw them there. Unfortunately, I have not seen the Sumatran rhinos in Cincinnati either (although I was also lucky enough to see the Sumatran rhino at the White Oaks Conservation Centre).

4. Tarsius

Tarsius Well-Known Member

I think, the Sumatran Rhino Studbook is available in the internet. I've got it a few years ago, and it has an almost complete list of all ever under human care living sumatran rhinos.

There is also a very good article about asian rhinos in zoos in the International Zoo yearbook, but I don't know yet the issue, in which it was published.

Its amazing to know, some sumatran rhinos were kept in amercian circusses, so the Bronxzoo sold one to P.T Barnum !

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

The studbook is available on the internet, just google "Sumatran rhino studbook"

The IZY with the article "Asian Rhinos In Captivity" by R.J. Reynolds is volume 2 (1961)

6. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thankyou for the infomation so far guys:), I am not specifically looking for infomation on L.A and San Diego rhino'sn thankyou:)