Join our zoo community

Perth Zoo Sumatran Tiger Enclosures (formerly 'Great Cats')

Discussion in 'Australia' started by steveroberts, 11 Oct 2016.

1. steveroberts

steveroberts Well-Known Member 5+ year member

" Chlidonias said:
    I have spent a bit of time digging around in old annual reports, old online newspapers, etc, and have come up with some more information.

At the time of the Alma Park leopard's death (in 2001) there were only six Persian leopards left in the country - three at Perth (1.2) and three at Adelaide (1.2) - so Pussy must have been a regular zoo-mix leopard.

The three at Perth were a father and his two daughters. The two females were sent to Crocodylus in 2001 and the male followed in 2002. Their enclosure space at Perth was used for Sumatran tigers because there was no longer a regional programme for Persian leopards.

The one at Melbourne which died in 2013 must have been one of the Adelaide females.

The original Persian leopards in Australia were 1.2 siblings bred at Cincinnati Zoo (USA) in November 1980 and sent to Adelaide. As far as I can find, no others were imported, which if so means that all the Australian ones were bred from a sibling group. ''

My last query about when the three Persians at Crocodylus died was in part answered by how the last female there died 2008 so would have to of been either Ishtar or Tiamat and Fury would have obviously died before that.

But this information thanks to Chlidonias would appear to indicate that Fury was born to siblings?? and that Princess was in fact his double Aunt??? could this be true. Im quite extremely naive to the ways of captive breeding with new bloodlines, genes etc so since joining this site and reading lots of info shared by members im quite surprised by some of the realities around animals born as the product of inbreeding sometimes multiple times?? are/were the Melbourne Persians related/offspring aswell to this Cincinnati family?

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I later discovered that only one pair of siblings (male and female) came from Cincinnati (not 1.2 as was being reported in the newspapers), and Adelaide already had one female when they arrived. I don't know of any others, so it is likely (but do not take it as a definite) that all the resulting Persians in Australia were from those animals alone.

3. steveroberts

steveroberts Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Oh ok thanks. Sounds like Princess may have still been Fury's paternal Aunt if she came as a sibling with her brother from Cincinnati.

4. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No. PZ held a female Black leopard which was moved to Whyalla WP (I think) at around the same time that Calang was brought in. I would imagine that the 4 Persians were rotated between either a) the one exhibit and the off-display holding pen at the rear of the exhibit, or more probably b) the black leopard rotated with sibling pair in one exhibit with Fury and Princess rotated in the other (the two inner exhibits were smaller than the outer ones). The old female generic tiger would have been in the LHS exhibit.

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Zoofan15 likes this.