Join our zoo community

Sumatran Tigers in Europe

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by Indlovu, 31 May 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arek

Arek Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This week a female from Chester will move to Wrocław.

2. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Recent updates:

South Lakes received another female last weekend - from Haute La Touche, France

On a sadder note - male, Tenang has been PTS at Paignton this week due to suspected kidney problems. He was born at Perth Zoo in September 2000 and arrived at Paignton in December 2002. He is survived by four offspring (2.2) all of which have now bred themselves
    Paignton are now left with female, Shakira following the departure of Tenang's previous mate, Banda last Autumn

Zoo sorrow as giraffe baby dies - Paignton Zoo

Last edited: 17 Jul 2015
  3. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Tierpark Berlin has sent 1.1 sumatran tigers to the UK, the female went to Chester, male Jambi to Paignton.

4. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

Really!

Oh does that mean that Kirana will be moving on then? :(

5. Nisha

Have you got a source for this information? - because of a female of the same name as the one at Tierpark (Mayang) turned up at South Lakes last week. Not Chester

Any idea why they have moved her on and split her from the new import male??? :confused:

6. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Even if she HAS gone to Chester - which I doubt, as it seems far too much of a coincidence - splitting the pair was not the greatest idea in my opinion :( though a genetically important animal going to Chester would be infinitely superior to a genetically important animal going to SLWAP........

7. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@Nisha, than I am wrong and the tiger did not go to Chester at all. The source was a news article that did not even get the subspecies right....

8. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

On one hand I'm relieved (Kirana is not leaving Chester Zoo) but on the other hand I'm angry (potentially the most genetically important Sumatran Tigress in Europe for a decade is being sent to SLWAP I assume to pair with Padang) my heart sinks!

9. Senapus

Senapus Well-Known Member

Like Lintworm said - the source of these informations was a newspaper which also wrote that JAMBI is a malayan tiger. So it could be that be there a a lot of failures in these article. SHAKIRA from Berlin moved to Paignton last year, maybe JAMBI just followed her?

The Photo from MAYANG from facebook South Lakes is not MAYANG from Berlin they looks really different! It looks like it's PHUKET (from Haute-Touche) which was transfered on 13. June. Maybe she got a new name.

(sorry for my english)

10. Nisha

Senapus - thanks for the correction/update. It seems to have been one big coincidence that Gill received his new female around the same time and changed her name to that of the Tierpark female who was also on the move (he does have a habit of changing names)

Jambi and Shakira being reunited at Paignton would fit however. Giving Paignton a display pair before being assigned new breeding individuals in years to come seems like a sensible plan

Now that just leaves the question - is *the real* Mayang really at Chester or not :s ?

11. Senapus

I hope a friend of mine from Berlin could tell me more soon.

12. Senapus

Okay, my friend was at Tierpark Berlin today and wrote me that all tigers are still in Berlin. That means MAYANG (the imported female sumatratiger) is still in Berlin and not in South Lakes Wild Animal Park. Her partner HARFAN was in his enclosure too. And JAMBI is also in Berlin, but he is waiting for an transfer.

Other tigers in Tierpark Berlin are:
    0.1 AURORA (amurtiger)
    1.0 DARIUS (amurtiger)
    1.3 cubs of AURORA and DARIUS born 23 April 2015

1.0 TAREK (Malayan Tiger)
    0.1 SARAI (Malayan Tiger)

The young amurtigers 1.0 DRAGAN (*07.10.2014 Eberswalde EVA & FESTUS) and 0.1 ALISHA (*10.12.2014 Tierpark Berlin AURORA & DARIUS) are planed to arrive this friday back in Berlin.

13. Senapus

It is PHUKET (*14.11.2012 at Parc Zoologique Doué de la Fontaine) from Réserve de la Haute Touche/France... it seems that she is now namend MAYANG.

The other female in South Lake is JANINE from Burgers Zoo. The transfer of a third tigress is planned.

14. Nisha

Thanks for the confirmation Senapus :)

15. Senapus

Ahhh... I forgot the Réserve de la Haute Touche/France waiting for a new tigress namend KASI. I think it could be KASIH from Zoo Chester - or is there an other female tiger with this name?

16. Nisha

It will be Chester's Kasih - which means Nuri is at Wroclaw

17. Senapus

There was indeed another sumatra tiger named KASIH (*18.05.2014 Beauval ASU and JAMBI). The young male tiger was transfered from Beauval to Bioparc Rome.

His brother BATAK was transfered in May und lives now in Fota Wildlife Park/Ireland. They have now: 1.0 Denar, 1.0 Batak and 0.1 Douga - correct?

Last edited: 30 Jun 2015
  18. Nisha

That's correct re: Fota. They now hold 2.1

Any idea where Terima (the young female) from Beauval is going?

In other news - female, Gemma (Praha2011 Surami X Falco) at Drayton Manor has been renamed Dora.
    Sumatran tigers welcomed at Drayton Manor Theme Park’s zoo – Lichfield Live

The article says they hope to breed from them. However given Dua's lack of success so far, I'd be questioning his fertility..

19. Senapus

Male JAMBI (*2002 Dudley) has left the Tierpark Berlin and is now back in Great Britain (which zoo is not yet confirmed).

20. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Jambi has gone to Edinburgh zoo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.