Join our zoo community

Sumatran Tigers in Europe

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by Indlovu, 31 May 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michel L'HUILLIER

Michel L'HUILLIER Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So, if someone has infos about Martin and Mira (certainly in Rotterdam), it could be great...
    Cheers.

2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thank you for that info on Hari @Michel L'HUILLIER. Borus was born 1973 and Putsi was born 1978.

I don't know anything about Martin and Mira, except they would have lived at London Zoo during the mid to late 1990s, when Hari was born (1997).

The only reference to them I can find online is this (dated 1993), which mentions them being introduced at London Zoo for mating:

Martin as licking lips|London CMS Meera |London Zoo MS Meera and... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images

They spell the female's name as Meera in this article.

If anyone has any more info, that'd be great.

Michel L'HUILLIER likes this.
  3. Michel L'HUILLIER

We can suppose that Putsi was born 00/00/1978 at ROTTERDAM, as well as POETRY and PEPPER (same litter as their names start by "P") ?
    Can you confirm ?

Last edited: 22 Jan 2019
  4. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Naturzoo Rheine - 0.0.3 cubs born to Naga and Kabus on 8th January. First European birth of 2019

5. Senapus

Senapus Well-Known Member

Yes, like StefanGrossmann said 1.0 Whitey is listed dead since 16. June 2016. Shortly before the new litter...

Yes. SYLVESTER was born on 01.01.2009 at Jerusalem Biblical Zoo. He was moved on 22. June 2010 to the Amneville Zoo in France and lives since the 16. March 2011 in CERZA. The tiger which moved from the Amneville Zoo to Attica Zoo was the male BABI (born 2003 at the Parc des felines/France)

That's right TORNADE and ALMA are littermates.

1.0 MARTIN born in Rotterdam at 6. July 1986 he moved at 01. February 1986 to Thrigby Hall Wildlife Garden. On 02. April 1990 he was transfered to London Regents Park. After that he lives in Chessington from 18. March 1997 till his dead on 13. July 2003.

0.1 MIRA never lived in Rotterdam. But she was together with MARTIN in London.

Yes PUTSI was the littermate of PETRY and PEPPER.

AliceLoveTora, Zoofan15 and Nisha like this.
  6. Senapus

I think in Great Britain are also tigers at the Wildlife Heritage Foundation.

Nias (M) born 12/05/2003 Tierpark Berlin. Parents - Morris X Santana
    Puna (F) born 11/06/2004 Zoo Heidelberg. Parents - Timophi X Panja

Not sure about:
    Lumpur (M) born 18/8/1997 at Amneville. Parents - Opak X Meuda

AliceLoveTora and Nisha like this.
  7. Nisha

Now known as the Big Cat Sanctuary (Smarden)

Lumpur died in April 2018 (PTS due to Kidney failure)

AliceLoveTora likes this.
  8. Senapus

Oh thank you I don't know about the new name and thanks about the news about Lumpur.

9. Senapus

Oh I saw that the names of the cubs at Berlin Tierpark aren't postet here.
    Willi (M)
    Oscar (M)
    Kiara (F)
    Seri (F)

AliceLoveTora and Nisha like this.
  10. Michel L'HUILLIER

@Senapus,
    WHITEY died at Obterre, isn't it ?
    Do you know the date of his transfert ?

11. Senapus

12. Zoofan15

Does anyone know what year Poetry (born 1978) was transferred to Melbourne Zoo.

As far as I'm aware, Calang and Selatan (born 1990 at Melbourne Zoo), were her only offspring?

13. Senapus

@Zoofan15: POETRY moved to Melbourne in May 1979.

Before Calang and Selatan she got a single cub on 25. July 1990 which was stillborn or died shortly after birth. This 3 cubs seems to be her only offsprings.

Zoofan15 likes this.
  14. Zoofan15

Thank you @Senapus.

Do you know the date of birth for Poetry, and what date she died? She must have been very young when she arrived at Melbourne. How strange that they kept her there for 11 years without breeding; then bred her at the last minute.

Also, do you know the date of birth (I believe it was in 1980) and date of death (I think it was 1998 or 1999) of Frank? (At Melbourne Zoo). I'm not sure when he arrived, but I'm assuming around the same time as Poetry?

15. Nisha

Poetry died in 1997 or 1998. I have a copy of a documentary series (Zoo's Company) that was filmed at the three Zoos Victoria sites between 1996 and 1998. One of the episodes features the keepers singing happy birthday to Poetry. At the end of the programme it was revealed that she had died shortly after the clip was filmed. I can't remember which birthday it was but I think it was filmed in 1998? I can double check this week. Frank was still alive at that time

Last edited: 24 Jan 2019
    Zoofan15 likes this.
  16. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That is so sweet....I know this comment was off-topic, but dang. It just reminds me of one of the incidents that was so impactful in my life.

Do you know if the tiger died the same day or if it was already sick, and just died a few days after?

17. Nisha

I think it was a few weeks later - they showed the clip and then said at the end of the episode that she had died soon afterwards. They didn't say exactly what happened but she was very elderly so it was probably natural causes. If I can work out how to do it then I'll try and put the clip online

Zoofan15 and ZooBinh like this.
  18. Zoofan15

We'd all love to see the clip @Nisha, if you can. You mentioned the clip being from 1996-1998. I'm gonna guess it was 1998 as Poetry would have turned 20 that year.

If that's the case, Poetry would have set the record for longevity for her species in the Australasian region at that time (at 20 years). Coincidentally, Poetry's daughter Selatan; and grandaughter, Kemiri, both went on to set the record for longevity also.

Last edited: 24 Jan 2019
  19. Senapus

Okay, POETRY was born on 25. May 1978 in Rotterdam and came really young to Melbourne on 21. April 1979. She died on 23 November 1997. Great age. I'm suprised that her littermates outlived her until the year 2000. Must have been great genes.

FRANK, let me se... ah he came from FRANKfurt.
    He was born on 20 March 1980 in Frankfurt and came also young on 02 June 1981 to Melbourne. He died at the same year like his littermate on 20 November 1999.

Zoofan15 likes this.
  20. Zoofan15

Thank you for all that info @Senapus. I agree Poetry especially must have some strong genes in her family, as evidenced by herself and her littermates; and daughter and granddaughter.

So Frank and Poetry lived together for around 9 years before they were bred. I believe they moved into a new exhibit in 1992, so perhaps the old exhibit was highly unsuitable for breeding. The new exhibit would have been in the planning/construction stages when they were bred.

Do you have any records on the cubs of Cantik (born August 1992 at Arnhem Zoo, Holland) @Senapus? I know of 1.2 cubs (Rokan, Nisha and Malu) born December 1996; and 1.2 cubs (Jaka, Mencari and Molek) born January 2000; but was curious if she had any non surviving cubs, either in those two litters mentioned, or other litters?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.