Join our zoo community

Sumatran Tigers in Europe

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by Indlovu, 31 May 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Another death that has recently filtered through:

Unfortunatly "Hercules" (born 15/8/92 at Arnhem), apparently passed away in December 2011. He lived at Arnhem until 2006 when he was transfered to Le Pal to allow Arnhem to incorporate his enclosure into the "Burgers Rimba" exhibit. Le Pal are currently without Sumatran's following his death and are now waiting for the EEP to assign them a new pair in the not too distant future (they are currently housing a couple of hybrid Bengal's in the new enclosure they have just opened in recent weeks)

2. Nisha

Another new import: female, Isha from Taronga WPZ, Australia will be imported to France in the next couple of weeks. Most likely Le Parc Des Felines but could also be Le Pal who are waiting to be assigned another pairing

3. Nisha

4. Corry

Corry New Member

Last edited: 28 Jun 2012
  5. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Interesting news. I expect that Asim's littermate will also leave soon this could also possibly mean that the father of the males 'Iban' is due to move back to Frankfurt.

6. Corry

Corry New Member

yes if my information is right, Taru will move during the next two weeks to france and Iban will be back in the next two month. I asked the zookeeper and thats what he told me.

7. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Nice to see another zoo annoucing that a animal is leaving Chester,when the curator of mammals of Chester told a group of zoo chatters last weekend,that there were no plans to move either of the cubs,away from the zoo for the for seeable time!!!

8. Corry

Corry New Member

Just read that on the page. I think it isn't the decision of chester but from the eep. Maybe the decision was made at the begin of the week. At least the ladies are still young and they could still make a change.

9. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

If you want to believe that link thats your choice I will believe,the Curator of Mammals at Chester,as we have had this before about Chester with Black Rhino,when a zoo annouced that they had one arriving from Chester in a weeks time,funny that same Rhino was still at Chester well over 4 months later.When Chester is concerned I believe things when they say something is going to happen,as that means it is actually going to happen,but you are quite right it is the EEP decision as to where animals go but at the end of the day,it is only a recommendation so Chester could very easily refuse to send the Tiger!

10. Nisha

Isha has now arrived and is on show. Tondi, the male will arriving later in the year from Honolulu
    Le Parc des Félins - Une nouvelle pensionnaire...

11. Nisha

Tigeress, Kim (B2000 at Rotterdam, Musi X Hermes) has arrived at Aalborg this morning from Heidelberg.

12. IceQueen

IceQueen Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is a very interesting thread, since I started figuring out all offspring from Hermes (Rotterdam Zoo). So big thnaks to the people posting in it :)

I have question about the tigers in Lisbon. The two females born to Sigli are now in Rheine (saw them yesterday, beautiful girls), but is the male still in Lisbon?
    I find the pairing Pendekar x Sigli a bit odd, sinds Hermes is a full brother to Filon (sire to Pendekar)

And according to the international studbook it is Kiara who has moved from Doue to Prague instead of Surami.

13. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Welcome to Zoochat, Icequeen.

The trio born at Lisbon, Pendaker x Sigli were all hand reared which I only found out recently. The male should/is still at Lisbon, AFAIK. Indian Lions and Sumatran Tigers in Europe are becoming very inbred so with fresh imports from Oz and Indonesia etc this would be very welcoming.

Thanks for clearing up who came to Prague. I believe 'Kiara' is now mother of two female cubs born last year. Father is 'Falcao' (Fabi is his brother at Chester).

14. Nisha

Pendekar was sent to Lisbon only because his original studbook recommendation had fallen through and Dudley were very keen to get him moved on due to the fact that their (then) breeding female was due to be swapped out later that year and that couldn't take place until both Pendekar and his brother had left. Lisbon just got lucky because he was avaliable and Dudley needed him gone asap.

Whether Lisbon recieved an EEP reccommendation to breed them or not.... well, I'd be suprised if they had given the relation between them but stranger things have happend.

As Jordan has already said - as far as we know the 2009 male is still in Lisbon for now. No indication as to him being moved on or not....

Praha have always refered to their breeding female Tiger as "Surami" so I'm not sure whats happend in the studbook to that

Now I've got a question for you! :p What's happening in Rotterdam with regards to moving out Gio and Vanni and bringing in a new breeding male for Alia? (Assuming they haven't changed their minds and decided to use either Gio/Vanni instead and transfer Alia out before recieveing a new female for the remaining boy)

15. Nisha

16. IceQueen

Thnx for your answers.

Well, Lisbon won't be the first or last zoo to ignore an eep recommandation. We'll probably never know, all I know is that a lot of cubs didn't make it before the handraised trio were born. Hopefully Sigli will do better next time, she had an excellent mom...

It's not clear yet what will happen to Gio and Vanni in Rotterdam. Last thing I heard about it was that the boys will move and Alia will stay behind. Don't know if there will be a new male for Alia, Hermes was more important to the breedingprogramm than Alia.

I hope one of the boys will stay, but that's probably wishfull thinking.

The mix up between Surami and Kiara is probably due to a mix up with the studbooknumbers, won't be the first time ;)

17. Nisha

18. IceQueen

Vanni (Hermes x Alia) has moved to Terra Natura Benidorm

19. Nisha

Thanks for news of that transfer, Icequeen. Is there any clear idea yet as to what they plan to do with Gio and/or Alia? (as in transfers or staying on?)

20. IceQueen

nope, otherwise I'd mention that too ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.