Join our zoo community

Sumatran Tigers

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Zoofan15, 8 Jan 2016.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I thought I'd start a new thread on Sumatran tigers, as I notice we have ones for otters, giraffe etc.

New Zealand currently has 13 Sumatran Tiger (8.5). They are:

Auckland Zoo (2.1): Jaka (M00), Molek (F00) and Berani (M08). Jaka and Molek are siblings. Molek is the mother of Berani.

Hamilton Zoo (2.3): Mencari (F00), Oz (M04), Sali (F08), Kembali (M14) and Kirana (F14). Oz and Sali are the breeding pair, Kembali and Kirana are their offspring.

Wellington Zoo (2.1): Rokan (M96), Bashi (M07) and Senja (F10). Bashi and Senja are the breeding pair.

Orana Wildlife Park (2.0): Sendiri (M03) and Dumai (M03).

Only Hamilton and Wellington Zoo currently hold breeding pairs. Wellington Zoo are currently trying to breed their pair, while Hamilton will have to wait for recommedation from the Species Coordinator if they are to breed again.

Most of the tigers in New Zealand are related. Rokan, Jaka, Mencari and Molek are full siblings. Oz is the father of Berani, and also of Kembali and Kirana, making them half siblings. Senja, Sendiri and Dumai are the grandchildren of Shiva (Rokan, Mencari and Molek's uncle).

Last edited: 8 Jan 2016