Join our zoo community

Belfast Zoo Summary Review Of Belfast Zoo (visit 24/3/11)

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Shorts, 27 Mar 2011.

1. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I finally got around to visit Belfast Zoo, via an early morning and flight, and the visit was well worth the effort.

Animals
    The mammal collection is easily one of the best in the UK. It has pretty much a full compliment of ABC's (Lions, Tigers and (two types) of Bears, oh my!) which, off the top of my head, would only be bettered by Whipsnade and, probably, Chester and Colchester. Then there's the mammal rarities which really raises the bar (Beared Saki, Tree Kangaroo, Sifaka, Blesbok, Fossa, Sun Bear, Smooth-coated Otter, Moloch Gibbon & Asiatic Golden Cat). The bird collection holds its own (highlights for me being the Cockatoo collection, Blue-bellied Rollers, Wattled Jacana and the White-tailed Sea Eagles) but the reptile section, whilst well presented, is fairly small and pedestrian.

Enclosures
    Like Blackpool (also established as a municipal zoo) the fact that the zoo was built in the 1970's means a lack of problematic "legacy enclosures" meaning that there are few blind spots and all enclosures are of good size and well-furnished. The Spectacled Bear enclosure is reminiscent of Dudley's Asiatic Black Bear enclosure, but much much larger and the big cat exhibits reminded me of some of those seen at German zoos (sizeable and open fronted with a water barrier near the viewing areas). A lot of the mammal enclosures allow for indoor viewing and whilst, aesthetically, the vast concrete back walls of some enclosures might be criticised by some I doubt the animals care. The views from the zoo to/over the surrounding areas is truly breathtaking and there are very few zoos in the UK that better Belfast in this respect. Be warned that the zoo's on quite a hill, probably second only to Edinburgh in it's challenging nature.

Keepers/Staff
    They're easily the best out of all the zoos in Northern Ireland I've visited (boom boom!). Seriously, if there are more friendly and generous (with their time and knowledge) zoo staff in the UK I've never met them. The keepers bring their enthusiasm and personalities to the job which is all too rare in establishments nowadays.

Facilities
    The toilets are good (sorry, an obsession of mine, probably born of having to endure cob-web ridden dark, dank outdoor toilets at infant school). The catering is in flux at present, with a cafeteria being refurbished, though the variety at the (only) kiosk was reasonable and the sandwiches bought were very nice. The gift shop was a little disappointing (very little Belfast Zoo branded product and no guide book) but, to be fair, it is probably very consistent with zoos with similar visitor numbers rather than in line with the (very high) the quality of the zoo.

Value For Money
    Astoundingly good, best in the UK by a mile, no debate needed. It's only £7.10 to get in and a mere £3.60 for children (how many zoos in the UK have childrens' prices at pretty much half adult prices nowadays? not that I necessarily think they should, but you get my point). Anyone aged 60 or above gets in FREE!

As you might have guessed I loved the place and would encourage any zoo enthusiasts to the east of the Irish Sea (notice my skilled avoidance of the "M word" there) to make an effort to visit there when you can. Make sure you engage the keepers is conversation as they will enjoy talking and listening to you as much as you will to them. I guarantee you'll find the visit worthwhile, I'll be back that's for sure.

2. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Glad you enjoyed your visit to Belfast Shorts,it was a very good day with some excellent weather.Just a few things you have missed mammal wise are Red Kangaroo and White-nosed Coati neither of which are very common in the UK.As far the reptiles yes they do have alot of the more common stuff but,they do have a couple of gems off-show at the moment in the Dumeril`s Ground Boa and the Fijian Banded Iguana,along with this they do now have a nice little group of Pancake Tortoises on show now!!

3. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Indeed, it rocked!

We've both forgot the Francois Langur too, they really do have a lot of nice mammal species. I'll be looking to get there at least biennially in the future.

4. Fergie

Fergie Well-Known Member

Great to read of such an encouraging review of Belfast Zoo!

Other rarities along the way include crowned lemur, darwins rhea, white-browed coucal, sunbittern, blue-crowned laughing thrush, black lion tamarin, pied tamarin, 2 great apes, vicugna, warty pigs and malayan tapir...

5. zoogiraffe

Well you will certainly hear nothing but positive comments about Belfast,from myself as species wise it is very much THE forgotten gem of UK zoo`s,by most people on here.I suspect a few people on here are put off by Belfast`s troubled past,but as somebody that visited even during those times I have never had the feeling of been in danger,unlike I have in certain parts of Southern Ireland but thats a different story!!

6. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

I think it's also due to the location of the zoo, regardless of security or political issues. From much of the UK it's as easy or easier to get to many continental European zoos. It's easier for me to get to zoos in the Netherlands and Belgium for example than it is to get to Northern Ireland.

I would love to go to Belfast Zoo, (and also the Highland Wildlife Park) but if I am going to travel I'd rather get a train to Antwerp or a flight to Zürich.

(Also, hate to be pedantic and off-topic but there is no such place as Southern Ireland).

7. easytigger

easytigger Well-Known Member

Both of Belfast airports are serviced by low budget airlines, flybe, easyjet and BMIbaby for the City airport, Aer Lingus and Easy jet for the international.

Obviously I might be a bit biased here but for those looking for a long weekend zoofest, head to Belfast, then down to Dublin then to fota (ryanair from Dublin takes about 25 mins)

8. zoogiraffe

Be as pedantic as you like,because you still knew exactly which country I mean`t!!;)