Join our zoo community

Summer Trip

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by wayne4swfc, 25 Mar 2017.

1. wayne4swfc

wayne4swfc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sorry not sure if this is in the right area (mods please move if not). I am planning my first major zoo trip with a nice trip south this summer from sunny Yorkshire for a week and want to try and get in as many zoos as possible.

I have already visited the ZSL sites and Colchester this year so im not too bothered about those but is there anywhere else not to be missed. I was thinking Bristol, Paignton and Marwell as definites but I am open to any suggestions and tips please for example are any of the safari parks worth a visit? Or any particular species or exhibits that aren't to be missed?

As I am travelling down by car transport isn't really an issue but due to work I'm not sure when I'll be able to make such a trip again so I would like it to be memorable. I'm doing my own research so don't think I'm being lazy but thought I would tap in to the knowledge on here.

Thanks

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

If you are well-disciplined with timekeeping it is possible to do Paignton, Living Coasts and Shaldon in a single day thanks to their extreme proximity to one another.

3. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

Cotswold Wildlife park and Exmoor zoo are worth considering.

4. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

For "well disciplined with timekeeping" some might say manic or idiotic. :):p:)

That said it all depends, some are happy to "do" a zoo like a militarily operation while others prefer to take it a little easier, soak in the zoo and wander backwards to check for missed animals and revisit liked ones. I've done both in my time and whilst generally preferring the latter approach I'll still do the former on occasion.

Back to the original query, I always thought a week in the West Country is good for zoo visiting (that's why I do it most years:)). You can visit any choice/combination of Bristol, Wild Place, Noah's Ark, Newent, Slimbridge (and probably a few others I've missed) on the outwards and inward journeys and have a great variety of zoos (Paignton, Living Coasts, Shaldon, National Marine Aquarium, Exmoor, Newquay, and many others) within reasonable driving distance from a base in the Torbay Area.

5. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The South West certainly deserves a week, but I'm inclined to suggest a more ambitious itinerary for a first trip south. How about basing yourself in South Devon for the first few days and Kent for the last couple, with Marwell in between? Something along the lines of:

Day 1: Wild Place. Bristol Aquarium. Bristol Zoo.
    Day 2: Living Coasts. National Marine Aquarium.
    Day 3: Newquay Zoo. Blue Reef Aquarium Newquay. Paradise Park.
    Day 4: Shaldon Wildlife Park. Paignton Zoo.
    Day 5: Marwell Zoo.
    Day 6: Wingham Wildlife Park. Howletts Wild Animal Park.
    Day 7: Port Lympne Wild Animal Park.

That would cover pretty much all the major zoos, plus some interesting smaller ones. Obviously, you could add or subtract collections depending on your own preferences.

Aside from whatever Port Lympne has turned into, Longleat is the only safari park in the region. I don't find it all that exciting, but include it if you're a safari park fan.

And, whatever you come up with, enjoy the trip. It's a beautiful part of the world.

6. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

My suggestion...

Day 1 & 2 - weekend in Kent to see Howletts / Port Lympne / Wildwood / Wingham
    Day 3 - Marwell & New Forest Wildlife Park
    Day 4 - Monkey World (you could drive to Torquay in time to spend an hour at Shaldon)
    Day 5 - Paignton & Living Coasts (I'd say adding Shaldon to this day would make things a bit manic... but you could)
    Day 6 - Dartmoor & National Marine Aquarium (if you buy a ticket to one I think you get half price at the other one - not entirely sure as we have always failed to notice the offer until we'd paid full price at both!)
    Day 7 - Bristol & Wild Place (Bristol opens at 9am - go their first and go straight to nocturnal house. Wild Place only needs a couple of hours at most)

...and if your week includes both weekends:

Day 8 - Cotswold Wildlife Park & Crocodiles of the World
    Day 9 - Woburn Safari Park or Whipsnade

Giant Panda likes this.
  7. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Port Lympne also has an African style overnight camp, which looks like fun if you can afford it.

8. wayne4swfc

wayne4swfc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks very much for the suggestions and there's definitely a lot to take in a mull over.

It's looking like an 8 day trip at the moment although I think I'm going to have to dedicate a day to the Eden Project to keep my travelling companion happy. I tend to like to take a relaxed look around zoos although I think I may have to be a bit more disciplined to get the most out of this trip. Are Paignton and living coats "easily" done in the day? I'm thinking living coasts first before the parking becomes too bad and then heading to Paignton.

9. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Living Coasts and Shaldon would be easier to do in one day, maybe give Paignton a full day for a first time visit. A collection thatdoen't appear to have been mentioned is Axe Valley which has some choice species but is quite out of the way and lacks in aesthetics by all accounts.

10. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Yes do Living coasts first if you are there gone 11 forget parking anywhere near the place its self.Eden Project is well worth a visit I have in the past spent all day there.

Despite what Brum says Paignton is not a day zoo,can be done in 3 to 4 hours,as its alot of walking in places for not alot to see!

11. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

In that case - you might be better served focusing on the south west and leaving Kent for another time. You could add in Newquay and then head up via Exmoor and on to Bristol. Paignton and Living Coasts are doable in one day but tbh we usually allow a full day for Paignton and easily fill it. Just depends if you want to pack lots in or have a more relaxing time.

Given what you've said, my revised suggestion would be...

Day 1 - Marwell & New Forest Wildlife Park
    Day 2 - Living Coasts & Paignton
    Day 3 - Dartmoor & National Marine Aquarium
    Day 4 - Eden Project
    Day 5 - Newquay
    Day 6 - Exmoor
    Day 7 - Bristol & Wild Place
    Day 8 - Cotswold Wildlife Park & Crocodiles of the World

12. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well it takes me about 5 or 6 hours to get round everything but that's with a tribe in tow, on your own it probably is a lot quicker but for a first visit I would still give it the majority of the day

13. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

15 years ago I would have agreed with you but not these days!

14. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Think about what you want to see most. For example if you really want to see parrots, forget Living Coasts and Shaldon, but combine Newquay with Paradise Park in Hayle: it's a trip into deepest Cornwall, but you'll see a nice varied animal collection at Newquay and some very rare parrots at Hayle (such as grey-breasted conures, Rajah lories and the wonderful old St Vincent amazon). Use Zootierliste to help you find your favourites.
    I wouldn't miss Bristol, Paignton or Cotswold, and as I tend to take my time, I'd give myself most of a day in each, although any of these collections could be combined with smaller neighbours if time is short.