Join our zoo community

Perth Zoo sun bears at perth zoo...

Discussion in 'Australia' started by patrick, 11 Feb 2007.

1. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

the new sunbears at perth ore now on display in their new purpose built exhibit.

i wanna see pics - i wish we had a forum member from perth!!!

adelaide's female has ongoing health issues and is considered unlikely to breed. as is tarongas male, who has a low sperm count. thus both pairs are considered unlikely to breed. does anyone know the relationship regarding adelaides male and tarongas female? because you would have thought switching animals to make at least one viable pair is an obvious choice..

however i read singapore have offered a female proven breeder to the program that might end up at adleiade and the national zoo was expected to import a female from cambodia alo to be paired with their wellington born male...

melbourne still dont list sunbear on their plans, but i expect they will when their brown bears eventually die. lets hope perths obviously logical method of a dual enclosure type setup pays off and give the other zoos a bit of a guidline for how they need to get on track..

2. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Maybe Zoopro may know of someone over Perth way that could take a couple of pics, Please.

3. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

I've got a few pics on another computer - I'll see what I can do ;)

4. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

its a great exhibit, too bad i didnt take any pics. it looks very 'practical', which im sure will lead to succesful breeding.

5. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

National Zoo imports also...

"Otay" the female sun bear from cambodia has also been imported to the national zoo to join their new zealand-bred male.

heres hoping...

6. Pamelas

Pamelas Member

We do! I've just been a little busy of late and haven't taken any photos. I believe there are some on our website - Welcome to - Perth Zoo - Western Australia

7. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

thnx for comming back, can un tell us about the exhibit, a also heard new animal exhibits were around it?

cheers and thnx

8. Coquinguy

the only new exhibits planned for that area of the zoo immediately next to the sun bear is the otter habitat and red panda exhibit. the silvery gibbon exhibit is already finished. the other asian building projects are for the eles and tigers...and they are located a little bit away from the sun bears.

9. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

thnx glyn, any details on wht the otter exhibit is like, underwater viewing?, also what dies people think on the red pandads being exhibit in close range to sun bears (more so tropical than cold, as with otters)

10. Coquinguy

i dont really mind. there isnt really any overlap with their ranges (sun bear and red panda) but otter, fishing cats and wc gibbons??? all range a bi north and can be found at altitude...i dont think the average zoo visitor cares either and besides, the zoo doesnt have the budget to create or interpret a seperate asian mountains exhibit...