Join our zoo community

Swedish state television reports about mistreatment of animals

Discussion in 'Sweden' started by Kwambeze, 16 Oct 2012.

1. Kwambeze

Kwambeze Well-Known Member

Today SVT (Swedish state television) reports about mistreatment of animals at Ölands djur och nöjespark (Ölands Zoo and Amusment Park). This is just one of many critical reports about Swedish zoo's this year. Tomorrow TV4 will show a longer reportage about Parken Zoo and their bad animal care.

Ölands djurpark is known for having their animals in small, bad enclosures but also for mistreating their staff. Parken Zoo has a good reputation but it is a fact that they in the last couples of years have changed their whole collection of animals. They have a very small park but more endangered species than any other zoo in Sweden.

Well, lets see what they will say on TV4 tomorrow.

2. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Kwambeze, could you elaborate more about what is happening in Sweden with its zoos? And what is the reaction of the general public, are they only angry with the respective zoo, or are they going more anti-zoo generally?

I have found this article:
    Apparently, the lack of transparency and unsuficient explanations from the zoo have backfired.

3. Kwambeze

Kwambeze Well-Known Member

Everyone in Sweden is talking about it today. They are really upset and angry, and there are many threats directly to Parken Zoo and the CEO and Helena Olsson (boss). But many people are also saying that they are never going to a zoo again.

The media have only showed one side of this, and much of it isn't true. I feel really sorry for Parken Zoo. They are making a great job...

4. petthebird

petthebird Member

90% of the critique regards how they kept their DEAD animals, who where stored in a freeze-room, it was rather sloppy inside, but I for one does not believe that dead animals mind being cramped up like that. The only REAL problem, as far as I'm aware of by now, is that some of the people from parken zoo told untrue things - either knowingly lying or jst case they didn't know what they were talking about. Thats bad - bt it has nothing to do with animal mistreatment.

5. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

The Ölands djurpark story has been picked up on my the Daily Mail who never miss an opportunity to demonise Eastern Europeans. Although it reports on the workers' ill treatment I would argue that by including the words' Polish workers' in he headline, they are setting up an association in the readers mind between Polish workers and animal cruelty.

Horror zoo where animals were 'clubbed to death' fed animals killed in the park to Polish workers | Mail Online

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

that whole thing reads as if the "reporter" just made it up as she went along.

7. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When I came to "Brazilian aardvark", I completely stopped taking it seriously.