Join our zoo community

Sydney Aquarium Sydney Aquarium

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Pitt_St, 26 Nov 2003.

1. Pitt_St

Pitt_St New Member

I'd like to give the Sydney Aquarium a huge wrap.

While it is hard to put a finger on what was most impressive, a summary of the highlights for me are:

- Watching (at very close quarters) a Playtpus searching for food (and eating) in a setting, which for the Platypus at least, must seem very natural.

I'm sure the experience wasn't quite as memorable for the poor live shrimp that he/she tracked down and ate.

- a real live Saltwater Crocodile (3m of so in length)

That one really spun me out. There are low-down and high-up [above] viewing platforms. The above platform has a warning: "If the fall doesn't kill you, the crocodile probably will". :D

- A massive oceanarium which has, among other things, numerous sharks of different sizes and types, stingrays, fish, turtles, etc. You can actually walk underneath them (glass tunnell) all as they swim over you - it really is quite incredible.

- Another massive oceanarium that is for tropical fish, ala the Barrier Reef. Again, you can walk around the fish as they swim about. One part of this display has a glass wall looking straight into the tank - it is like looking into a room full of fish.

- and much, more (penguins, seals, etc)

Those of you with children will be pleased to know that the Sydney Aquarium has plenty of things for the children - some of the exhibits have a "touch and feel" element, plus there are feeding times.

Importantly the Aquarium also has a conservation and education focus.

I must confess that I have only been to the Aquarium once, but now that I am an "Aqua Club" member I intend to make regular visits.

Enjoy.

MB

Last edited: 28 Nov 2003