Join our zoo community

Sydney Aquarium Sydney Aquarium

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Simon Hampel, 1 May 2004.

1. crocdoc

crocdoc Member

Lemon sharks (Negaprion acutidens, not Negaprion brevirostris) are native to Australia.

2. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Well, there you go then. :) Even better.

3. Gryphon

Gryphon Well-Known Member

"The small-tooth sawfish - one of five sawfish species found in Australia - will be joining other fish at Sydney Aquarium's Great Barrier Reef exhibit from December 8."

Not joining the sickle-fins! Four sawfish will be in the GBR oceanarium. The first is already in, two more today and another at a later date.

4. crocdoc

crocdoc Member

I gather the two big sickle-fins have been removed from the GBR exhibit?

5. Gryphon

All 4 sawfish are now in the GBR exhibit 3:1:0. The two lemons have gone to join the others until the next move.

6. crocdoc

crocdoc Member

Good good. I could tell stories about those two - haha.

7. Gryphon

Now now... I'm sure the snub-nosed darts were an accident! They are better than the ferals they have now joined.

8. crocdoc

crocdoc Member

I remember when the 'ferals' were shy and the aquarists were trying their hardest to encourage them to hand feed. Oops.

9. Gryphon

Yes, well, never blame the animals for the folly of humans...

10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

the first article below was linked to a while back on the Melbourne Aquarium thread (http://www.zoochat.com/24/merlin-takes-over-melbourne-aquarium-underwater-275601/index3.html) but I found a second article as well, so thought it best to put them here (mainly so I can find them again if I need to but also for the last sentence of the second article).

Tropical Bay of Rays | Explore | Sydney Aquarium
    New home for tropical stingrays - Yahoo!7 News

11. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is this thread the oldest active thread on ZooChat?

Does anybody know if this aquarium still has dugongs? That alone would seem to make it worth a visit, at least for someone from North America who has never seen dugongs.

It occurred to me to check the website. It appears that the dugongs are still there but not on display: http://www.sydneyaquarium.com.au/explore/dugongs-at-mermaid-lagoon/

Last edited: 22 Aug 2012
  12. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

only temporarily off display. They are awesome creatures, should you happen to visit Australia.

13. CGSwans

Dugongs are expected back on display in September or October, I think. Is there still a dugong at UnderWater World Sentosa? If not, the two at Sydney might be the only ones in captivity in the world now.

I have real mixed feelings about this place these days. I may be making another short trip to Sydney in September (footy finals - supporting a team from another state is expensive!) but am honestly torn about whether to go to the Aquarium and see the changes. I loved the place and don't relish seeing the Merlinisation in person.

14. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

I thought that there were around four dugongs in captivity in Japanese aquariums? I really want to go see the whole place when all of the renevations are complete but the new Tropical Bay of Rays looks really bad.

15. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

The dugong at Underwater World was not on display in November 2011, with the exhibit area blocked off, so maybe they do no longer have this species, or perhaps they have just been renovating the enclosure. Dugong are still mentioned on their website.

16. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Are they actually building a new home for the dugongs, or are they just renovating it? Because the exhibit they had was really nice. A renovation for the shark aquarium was really needed, so that's a good thing. And where did they build that bay of rays? I hope it's not in the coral reef exhibit, that part of the aquarium was perfect, it certainly doesn't need a merlin make-over!

17. Gryphon

Sentosa still has Gracie (female dugong), Jaya Ancol Sea World has a male and female, Toba has a female (lost their male a few months back). The two Sydney Aquarium dugongs (Pig and Wuru) should be back on display after 20 September when the Aquarium gets re-branded. Their oceanarium was never being renovated - the sharks were moved into there whilst the shark tank gets renovated (hence why no dogongs were left on display).

Tropical Bay of Rays is where the saltwater crocodile/mechanical white shark were. Totally out of place. It's awful but the rays are nice :) The theming outside the smaller tanks is nearly complete and looks quite good.

18. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Is it pretty much how it looks on the promo: One big room with a large(ish) tank in the middle and smaller tanks on the sides?

19. Gryphon

Bay of Rays? Not quite - you walk through from the freshwater area and it opens up into a lilac-hued area with ray graphics on the wall, copacobana-style huts and the hexagonal tank in the centre lit by fairy lights (ok, maybe I'm being a bit harsh!). You then walk through to the rest of the freshwaters and around to temperate marine. As I said, the little rays are very nice, but the tank is not.

20. CGSwans

Apparently they're changing the name to SEA Life Sydney Aquarium. :(