Join our zoo community

Australia Sydney Get-together: 2nd July 2011, Symbio Wildlife Park

Discussion in 'Events & Meetups' started by Hix, 9 Jun 2011.

1. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

OK, I guess that settles it:

Saturday 2nd at Symbio, at 11:00.

That'll give Boof a good couple of hours before he has to take off for work, and is around the time when zooman will be making an appearance. We might even bump into Raddo!

:p

Hix

2. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Lock it in Eddie!

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Given I've never been to Symbio and can't suggest where to actually meet - how are we going to find each other?

4. Simon Hampel

5. Simon Hampel

6. zooman

Hi Hix,

Ideas on a meeting point at Symbio?

Any others looking to join us?

7. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

sounds like a good day. What time.

PS. I'm having some computer issues. Sorry I haven't been posting.

8. Hix

We meet at 11:00am in the carpark at Symbio. It's not that big and we shouldn't be too hard to spot - i.e we'll be the ones loitering in the carpark like we're waiting for someone!

nrg800 needs a lift, pickup on Victoria Rd. Can anyone assist? Otherwise he might have to train it to Helensburgh.

Hix

9. zooman

Is this on the Canberra side of Symbio?

10. Hix

No, the north side of Sydney.

I suspect there is only one person nearby .....

11. Simon Hampel

I'll be coming from the Lower North Shore, so if anyone needs a lift I can probably swing by and pick them up on the way. Normally I'd take the harbour tunnel / eastern distributor, but I could go via Lane Cove Rd / King Georges Rd instead.

I don't think I'd want to go much further west than Ryde though - too far out of my way.

Let me know if that helps.

12. Simon Hampel

Hey Sydney ZooChatters, it would be great if you could sign up for a free Meetup.com account and then join the Sydney ZooChat Community ... even if you can't make it to Symbio.

This will be a great tool for managing events in the future.

13. Simon Hampel

Thanks for the great day guys - was fantastic to finally meet Hix, boof, zooman and nrg800. I really enjoyed myself!

I'll upload some of my photos shortly.

14. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It was a great couple of hours for me. Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to the next one.

15. Hix

Me too - Sydney Wildlife World, here we come!

Hix

16. Gryphon

Gryphon Well-Known Member

Sniff....sad I missed it. BTW, only a couple of weeks until SWW closes for a month and changes for ever (and the worse).

17. Hix

Do you know the exact date they are closing (or rather, the final day they are open)?

Hix

18. Simon Hampel

For the benefit of those who couldn't make it - I thought I would post a more detailed "review" of this meetup at Symbio.

nrg800 and I arrived just before 11am (after setting off from the Lower North Shore at around 9:30am !!) ... and were shortly joined in the car park by boof and zooman. I was impressed that zooman had travelled all the way from Melbourne for this meetup - but he was also visiting the National Zoo & Aquarium in Canberra as well as Mogo Zoo on this trip, so it wasn't a completely crazy thing to do :D Hix joined us soon after 11am and we headed in to Symbio.

First port of call was the Crocodiles and Goannas, with Hix and myself taking a lot of photos on our DSLRs and some of the others taking a few photos with compact cameras.

We headed down to the Red Pandas in time for feeding and got some more nice photos before wandering past the Spider Monkeys (who didn't look particularly happy), the Mini Ponies, Cattle and Llamas. We stopped to have a bit of a look at the Birds of Prey and had a discussion about mesh materials used in aviaries.

After berating me about my (self-acknowledged) lack of knowledge about Australian ducks while passing the waterfowl pond, we bypassed the Kangaroo walk-through and emus and headed to the Echidnas.

We were very surprised to find an albino echidna with very few bristles and stopped for quite some time to get some photos and discuss the parts of an echidna you normally wouldn't get to see (like a tail!).

We headed back to the new Sumatran tiger exhibit just after feeding time and got some good photos. Simon and Hix got a case of lens-envy when a girl who had a Pentax DSLR with a 150-500mm Sigma lens showed us some of her photos. We told her about ZooChat - hopefully she'll sign up and upload some of them!

We spent quite a while in the Australian birds walkthrough aviary, talking and getting squawked at by the Ringneck parrots.

Next was the Marmoset & Cotton Top Monkeys, the Meerkats and the Reptiles.

By this stage we were getting hungry and boof had to head off to work, but we decided to get a group photo and managed to track down camera-girl to take a photo for us (at which point I think it was Hix who pulled out a tiny Canon IXUS camera for the shot - which we all thought was rather ironic given the previous comments about lens size!).

We eventually made it to the zoo shop at the exit and a couple of us stopped to buy small items before we discovered the director of the zoo, John Radnidge and stopped to talk to him for about half an hour. John was very gracious in answering all our questions and was obviously very proud (rightly so!) of what they had achieved at the zoo in the past 10 years - culminating in the recent opening of their Sumatran Tiger enclosure.

Eventually we managed to get ourselves away from the zoo and the four of us remaining agreed to head down to Thirroul where we stopped for a very late lunch and a few more hours of talking about zoos, ZooChat, import and export rules, and many other interesting things.

We finally headed our separate ways just after 4pm, with Hix heading off to visit family nearby, zooman heading towards Huskisson for the night before visiting Mogo the next day and nrg800 and myself driving back to Sydney - where we arrived back just after 6pm.

It was a thoroughly enjoyable day - I was pleasantly surprised by Symbio Wildlife Park and I had a great time getting to know some of our ZooChat members and sharing our passion for zoos and animal conservation!

19. Hix

You forgot to mention the Golden Brushtail !

Hix

20. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

but he did mention camera-girl twice, so it evens out