Join our zoo community

Wild Life Sydney Sydney Wildlife World

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Zooish, 4 Jul 2006.

1. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi guys, I just stumbled upon an article about the new Sydney Wildlife World zoo. It seems to be sparking a lot of controversy - cannibalising on Taronga as well as its poor choice of location so near the city.

Its website claims that it will house 6,000 animals in a 7,000 square metre area, isn't that a bit cramped?

Any more info on this place?

2. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

3. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

yea i have been following this one,

its in association with the aqaurium, its right nest door, all animals willbe put in to sound proof bunkers of sorts when fireworks are on, cause its right on the harbour, in saying tht, u stand at the aqaurium and boom, there the harbour bridge.

wht else do u wanna no?

4. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

the sydney aquarium is located in darling harbour, which is not particuarly close to the harbour bridge (think your confused Zoo_Boy). i used to work just around the corner from there. that said, fireworks could nonetheless still pose a problem for the animals. i belive darling harbour do have fireworks displays also from time to time. it wasn't finished last time i was down there, but essentially it looked like a massive aviary. i suppose many of the animals wil all be free-ranging in there.

personally i thought it was a little wierd that they did it. the aquarium should have stuck to fish if you ask me. they certainly will affect taronga attendance, which is largely OS tourists, as these sorts of people are predominantly interested in australian fauna and they can now see most of the at the aquarium, as well as fish etc and without the expenses and hassle of the ferry to taronga...

5. Zoo_Boy

sorry pat but yes it is, you have to pass the aquarium(well sorta over it) to get on to the bridge, probably about .5 - 1 k if that. sorry but its right near it. darling habour has the biggest firework display in the world when it come to new year, so the animals are being put in bunkers to cope with this. when we drove past the aquarium on our way to taronga, the skydome was just being added, and there were huge mature trees which where brought in to the site. its going to be amazing for the visitior, but not so for animals and taronga.

it was proposed (turned down by taronga) that the aqarium/ozzie world, would do packages to the zoo.

but for the international tourists, it would be good, as you can see fish and native mamals all under one roof.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

go to http://www.fabricstructures.com.au/projects.htm for details

6. Zoo_Boy

7. Zoo_Boy

8. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks guys for the additional info. The concept of an urban 'boutique' zoo is interesting, making it more convenient and comfortable for visitors, but it also means compromising on space. So i'm guessing the largest animal to be exhibited is the YTRW?

Personally as a tourist, this zoo would attract me more than Taronga as it is a specialized collection rather than another "typical" zoo. We had a debate on another thread about how zoos need to differentiate from one another in order to be successful.

Taronga should be feeling the impact when SWW opens. Keep us posted on the developments.

9. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Central city mini zoo

I remember coming across this a number of years ago , and asking Sim more about it . If its the one on the Downtown side of Darling harbour , near the aquiriam , it will be the same place !

This is my earlier input on the same topic

Senior Zookeeper

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inner Sydney to get new zoo Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

from Zoo News 307 by Monika Fiby Thursday, 2004-09-02

The New South Wales Government has given planning permission for a small zoo to be built next to the Sydney Aquarium at Darling Harbour.

The building - to be known as Australia's Animal World - will house exhibits of native animals, including snakes, spiders, koalas and wombats. Its construction will involve the demolition of parts of the existing buildings owned by Sydney Aquarium. The application for the facility was submitted in 2002. Concerns were raised by conservationists about the welfare of wildlife in the inner city location. The project will cost $30 million and is expected to create 40 new full-time jobs.

Do you know of this one , Sim ? How much living space do wombats need when they are in the wild ? I know of the area where the zoo will be in -- it is not exactly what I would call large . I wonder what other native animals they intend to exhibit ?
    As Taronga Park is quite close to the city ( about 10 minute ferry ride) I dont think they can state location as being a good enough reason to have a "zoo" in a small area with limited ( if any ) room to expand for future development -- especially if there are going to be mammals/marsupials etc

Last edited: 6 Jul 2006
  10. aw101

aw101 Well-Known Member

I think Sydney Wildlife World is just a gimmicky tourist trap to lure tourists who are too lazy to take the ferry to the zoo or who are too addicted to gambling to travel too far from Star City, trust me I am Asian and I know for a fact tons of tourists from all over Asia visit Sydney just to gamble and to see the harbor and these are the sort of people who would actually visit such a facility.

Personally I have seen virtually all of the species housed there and for a facility that only exhibits Australian animals $29.90 entry is just too steep.

11. Zoo_Boy

i went, though for free, i do agree the fee is to high, and the zoo is worth it, i actually really enjoyed sww, the exhibits were above what i expected, and despite being on the harbour, i may have well been in a purpose buitl facility at taronga.

12. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Just don't visit after hours - SWW is open until 9pm, but when it is dark outside, they turn out the lights in the large exhibits and you can't see anything!

When we visited, there were some tourists there with children who were very upset that they paid all this money to see animals - and you can't see them because the lights are out!

Very bad planning - a case of money over common sense.

13. Zoo_Boy

well i still dont see why it needs to be open after 5 pm- or even 7, with out reduced admission, or even installing a red spectrum series of lights for exhibits. Even so, i still dont think animals should be on display that long.

14. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

i will never-ever pay to go to this ******** - on principal. what happened with the leaving ARAZPA fiasco? i certainly hope some of their animals got taken back!!

15. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Sydney Wildlife World is of course a little "touristy" and "gimmicky", but it also succeeds at the basic level of introducing foreign visitors to Australian wildlife. The 9 different sections are all tastefully done, especially the invertebrate and reptile areas. I touched 2 lizards and 2 snakes while there (under the supervision of guides), admired the cassowary up close behind glass, and enjoyed the arid desert background of the rock wallabies. It's expensive and yet informative. The key is to visit the SWW, the Sydney Aquarium and Taronga Zoo to get a full dose of captive wildlife.

16. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Does anyone have attendance figures for SWW? How about the Sydney Aquarium? I understand that the Taronga Zoo receives something like 1.2 million per year.

17. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

I went SWW last year, overpriced... It may good for Internaional tourist etc as has already been discussed but if your an avid zoo fan, go to Taronga instead...

18. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

How many zoos , wildlife parks etc are there in Greater Sydney ?
    I know of 2 that have closed -- Warragamba , and Australia Wonderland near Prospect Resavoir..... and there are probably more (?)

The ones that I believe are still in existance include ;
    Taronga Park
    Featherdale (a good one near Rooty Hill )
    Koala Park near Pennant Hills
    Waratah Park
    Darling Harbour aquiriam

is there still an aquiriam/marineland in Manly

a bit further afield is Eric Worrells Reptile park , and Symbio near Helensburgh

19. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

Featherdale Wildlife Park is a beauty!
    I went there prepared to be disappointed but came away very impressed!
    Lots of Australian animals, mostly in good enclosures ( the goannas have a massive gum tree to climb, for example.)
    Even more birds, ranging from cassowaries to wrens, many in large walk-through aviaries.There are species of birds here that I have never seen in any other Australian zoo or animal park. Ever seen (or heard) a Chiming Wedge-bill, for instance? Wonderful! The park is well planted out, a very green and shady place.
    It was started by a poultry farmer who was interested in aviary birds. Its come a long way from there.

20. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

Yip, I went there while in Sydney... Its owned by the same group that owns Sydney aquarium...