Join our zoo community

Wild Life Sydney Sydney Wildlife World

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Zooish, 4 Jul 2006.

1. crocdoc

crocdoc Member

Do you mean as Wild Life Sydney or this facility in general? When it was Sydney Wildlife World (and comprised two levels rather than one) there were freshwater crocodiles in the pool in the butterfly exhibit.

2. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

I remember there being freshies in a glass fronted exhibit on one of the upper levels, with a waterfall. It might have been shared with Boyd's Forest Dragons.

:p

Hix

steveroberts likes this.
  3. crocdoc

crocdoc Member

Yes, you are correct. I haven't visited since Merlin took over and put everything on one level, but I knew they were planning to move the freshies from the butterfly exhibit to an upstairs exhibit. I hadn't mentioned this because I hadn't seen it for myself.

4. leone

leone Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Are there projects,plan in pdf on exhibit watersalt crocodile?

5. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

WILD LIFE Sydney Zoo have received their first ever tree kangaroo. A male Goodfellow’s Tree Kangaroo called Kofi has arrived from Healesville Sanctuary.

Full article: https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...o/news-story/7b404e0a9b700950de1930e6bfc1de85

6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A really cool addition.

I do hope the zoo will be more ambitious in future with exhibits and its animal collection. It is all a bit predictable and mundane for now. Some enclosures I consider underwhelming and a few even substandard from the evidence I have seen so far.

7. Sunbear12

Sunbear12 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Wildlife Sydney Zoo has received a numbat from Perth Zoo which is now on display.

From Facebook.

Dassie rat, Kifaru Bwana, PAT and 2 others like this.
  8. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

If they can set up a captive population of numbats on the East Coast then that makes potential future Australia trips way more convenient for foreign zoo buffs like me.

Dassie rat and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  9. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The zoo have received a female Tasmanian devil:

WILD LIFE Sydney Zoo Welcomes Dharra The Tassie Devil!

Dharra the Tasmanian Devil travelled five hours from Dubbo to her new home in Darling Harbour where she plays an important role in educating locals of the delicate state of Tasmanian Devils in the wild.

Dharra spent her first few weeks in quarantine before meeting her new habitat-mate Bub in the zoo’s Tassie Devil’s Den. Less than one week later, Zoo Keepers say she is very active in her new space and seems comfortable in the new environment and with her new friend.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. WhistlingKite24

Dassie rat, akasha and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  11. WhistlingKite24

A few updates from social media:
    • Wild Life Sydney Zoo have released plans for future projects including the addition of Little Penguins for the facility (despite there being penguins housed at the aquarium next door).
    • a few recent deaths including their Quokka and large Saltwater Crocodile but their Numbat and Goodfellow’s Tree-Kangaroo both have recent mentions within the last month and are still around. Two new Tasmanian Devils have also arrived recently and the devil exhibit has undergone a large refurbishment to include a new viewing area allowing visitors to watch the devils through bubble viewing.
    • A recent platypus swap with Taronga has occurred. Jackie, their wild-born female platypus has moved to Taronga Zoo for breeding purposes. A male named Mackenzie who hatched at Healesville in 2000 has arrived in her place.

12. WhistlingKite24

A few new arrivals:
    • a new female Bilby recently arrived and has been introduced to their two resident females in the nocturnal area.
    • three female Yellow-footed Rock-Wallabies also recently arrived. They are named Calli, Noddy and Melea. They will join two existing rock-wallabies which are mixed with their Common Wombat in the Wallaby Cliffs exhibit.

13. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

14. WhistlingKite24

Four venomous snakes have arrived at Wildlife Sydney Zoo - two Northern Death Adders and two Eastern Tiger Snakes now form part of a new exhibit space for snakes joining their resident Eastern Brown Snake. This area was under construction during my visit in December and is positioned near the Tasmanian devils at the entrance - reported on their FB page.

steveroberts likes this.
  15. WhistlingKite24

steveroberts and Osedax like this.