Join our zoo community

T-Rex Being Disreespected

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Pantheraman, 27 Jan 2023.

1. Pantheraman

Pantheraman Well-Known Member

Not too long ago, I was notified on YouTube about a new episode of a podcast I like called the BeastHub.

Like these guys, personally, I'm also really sick and tired of seeing this happen in these movies. but what do you guys think?

2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I see their point, but with regards to the Jurassic Park/World franchise, they were trying to take things up a notch. They’d already made two movies where a Tyrannosaurus rex reigned supreme and if they had a third movie where it chased everybody down and ate them, there’d be complaints the series had grown stale and repetitive.

I’ve read detailed accounts from hardcore fans about why a Tyrannosaurus rex would beat a Spinosaurus in a fight; which was apparently explained by the Tyrannosaurus killed by the Spinosaurus in the movie being an adolescent. Fair enough.

With regards to their comment about the Tyrannosaurus “needing help to win a fight” - the Indominous rex it was up against was genetically modified to be superior. If the Tyrannosaurus casually tipped it over, there’d be complaints from people about how the fight was unrealistic. The raptor was used to address this (and give the raptor a greater role/screen time). Again, I have no problem with this.

Pantheraman and PaddyRickMFZ like this.
  3. Pantheraman

@Zoofan15

True, there's nothing wrong with adding something new. But they didn't need to have the Spinosaurus kill the T-rex the way they did, or really at all. And the reason so many got upset over the fight wasn't so much the outcome I don't think. But rather the messaging of the fight itself.

Imagine you have a girlfriend or boyfriend who you love dearly and would do anything for and want to marry them so much. Then your parents or at least someone you know somehow gets rid of that person by making them leave because they don't like them for a dumb reason, and keep you from even seeing them again. Not only that but then they find a new girl or guy for you and say "This is your new girlfriend or boyfriend, you love him or her now and you need to forget about the other person."

That would hit you the wrong way and only anger you. This probably isn't the best analogy, but I think you get the idea. People love the T-rex, and when the filmmakers tried to replace it with a new bigger badder dinosaur, it made them angry.

4. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What did I just read?

5. noobmaster69

noobmaster69 Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge JP Spinosaurus fan but it killing the T. rex was necessary in order to show its strength and why it is a threat

birdsandbats likes this.
  6. Pantheraman

Probably the worst analogy I've ever written.

7. Pantheraman

During the movie's troubled production, they were initially going to use the Baryonyx as the main antagonist. But after consulting with Jack Horner they decided to use the Spinosaurus. And according to IMDB he convinced the filmmakers to have it kill the T-rex.

Not sure how true that is, but this is the same guy who came up with the T-rex scavenger hypothesis.

Zoofan15 and Corangurilla like this.
  8. Corangurilla

Corangurilla Well-Known Member

I can believe it. Jack Horner’s got a weird vendetta against T-Rex. Go watch “Valley of the T-Rex” (or Rickraptor’s review of it) if you don’t believe me. The guy literally called T-Rex “ugly, nasty, and stinky” to make it fit his scavenger theory.