Join our zoo community

Taipei Zoo Taipei zoo news

Discussion in 'Taiwan' started by jonas751111, 16 Mar 2013.

1. ISAO

ISAO Well-Known Member

Kifaru Bwana and Antoine like this.
  2. ISAO

ISAO Well-Known Member

3. ISAO

ISAO Well-Known Member

dublinlion and aardvark250 like this.
  4. ISAO

ISAO Well-Known Member

Antoine and aardvark250 like this.
  5. ISAO

ISAO Well-Known Member

A female Koala called "Grace" was euthanized because of retrovirus infection, her 7 months old daughter is now under human care, this is the first time to feed a Koala joey in the history of Taipei Zoo. After the death of Grace, now Taipei has 8 males and 8 females.
    Farewell to Grace - Focus Taiwan

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

7. ISAO

ISAO Well-Known Member

There are 3 Callitrichidae members in Taipei Zoo, the Common Marmosets, the Cotton-top Tamarins, the Golden-headed Lion Tamarins.

8. ISAO

ISAO Well-Known Member

1.Taipei currently has 1 tiger (unidentified subspecies) and 1 leopard (North China leopard).
    2.Because of bird influenza, Prague has to prove that there is no case in Czech during half of a year to export Vietnam pheasants to Taipei.
    3.Taipei is cooperating with Higashiyama Zoo and Botanical Gardens to intoduce a giant anteater.

Kifaru Bwana and Antoine like this.
  9. ISAO

ISAO Well-Known Member

2’18’’ is the exhibition of pangolin in Prague Zoo.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Dear @ISAO, first of all thanks as always for all the news from Taipeh Zoo, Taiwan RoC you keep on sending. It provides a rare inside view from how Taiwanese zoos are developing. It pleases me no end that ever closer cooperation is welded between EAZA/EEP and SEAZA/CBP's. This is particularly true for the zoos of Singapore, Taipeh and Seoul, South Korea.

I have a few questions for you on the animal transfers and ex situ breeding at Taipeh Zoo relating to some of your recent post:

1) Malayan tapirs
    Can you tell me a little bit more about the tapirs in Taipeh Zoo. Recently ofcourse Singapore send a new female Putri to Taipeh to breed with male Mosu, all part of the EEP ex situ conservation breeding program. Now, how many Malayan tapirs are kept at Taipeh Zoo (sex, age, any other information) and how has previously the captive-breeding of the species developped here?

2) Vietnam pheasant import
    Zoo Praha in Czech Republic is planning to send several pairs of Vietnam pheasant to Taipeh Zoo. The official announcement was in November 2021. Of course we have hade bird flue and it seems in December 2021 vet authorities in Taiwan / RoC requested proof of no bird flue for half a year prior to export. I assume the export will be postponed till summer 2022 (bird flu is reported in Continental Europe ATM)?

3) Big Carnivora at Taipeh Zoo:
    Tiger:
    You mentioned currently only 1 tiger and 1 Amur leopard at Taipeh Zoo. Do you have some more information (like species of tiger, is it Amur/Siberian tiger?)? Any links to in situ conservation in Eastern Asia or plans for reintroduction in the Korean Peninsula-Amur region?
    Leopard:
    Has Taipeh Zoo held more Amur leopard before or is the one you mentioned the only individual of his/her species (sex, age)? Any plans to acquire another individual and take part in the EEP/EAZA breeding program?

4) Koalas.
    Taipeh Zoo holds and breeds koalas quite successfully, right? ATM 8.8 individuals kept and I assume quite a number are captive-bred offspring born and bred at Taipeh Zoo? Do you have any furher information on the breeding at Taipeh?

5) Rhinos
    In 2011 Taipeh Zoo maintained 1.5 southern white rhino (as per data ISB southern white rhino 2011), with 4 wild caught adult females (ShiMin, ShiNi, Shi Whei and Shi Shi - all born 1980 or 1982). Now the old guard have never bred and never will given their age post reproductive today. The originally imported male(s) have subsequently passed away. In 1996 and 1996 Taipeh Zoo was loaned 1.1 young rhinos captive born at Leo Foo (Xi Chun and Xi Zhong) and these produced a male calf in February 2013 (I think he was transferred to Shoushan Zoo in 2020 or 2021 after renovation of the zoo in Kaohsiung).

Now, I assume several of the older rhinos may have died during the interval 2011-2022 and wonder how many are now left of the old guard and whether that young Leo Foo pair is breeding again or might expect another calf?

I realise it is a lot, just I am really very interested!

Animallover23 likes this.
  11. ISAO

ISAO Well-Known Member

Hello, I noticed you asked me some questions, as I am not a staff of Taipei Zoo, I recommend you to ask them by their official email address (https://www.zoo.gov.tw/contactus/?loc=en), then you'll get a reply in a week.

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I found a recent newspaper clip on the Malayan tapir calf Mo Huaduo - her second calf in total - from 2021. His mother is female MOLLY and she was bred to a Zoo Praha born male MOKE.

SOURCE:
    Doting mom - Taipei Times

I also noted an earlier post that noted the zoo held 3.3 Malayan tapir.
    @ISAO, your post #125, sorry for asking so much off you.

Last edited: 16 Feb 2022
  13. ISAO

ISAO Well-Known Member

The official promotion video of Taipei Zoo.

14. ISAO

ISAO Well-Known Member

Kifaru Bwana and Dassie rat like this.
  15. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm glad that the pangolin seemed to have more time than other species. It was also nice to see a masked palm civet.

16. ISAO

ISAO Well-Known Member

2 pangolins will be transported to Prague Zoo in March, and Prague seems has settled the exhibition.

17. ISAO

ISAO Well-Known Member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. ISAO

ISAO Well-Known Member

A male Patas Monkey born on 19th February, this is the 3rd child of this mother.

Last edited: 23 Feb 2022
    Haliaeetus and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  19. ISAO

ISAO Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: 2 Mar 2022
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

still incredibly cheap though so i'll take that.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.