Join our zoo community

Taipei Zoo Taipei zoo review and species list

Discussion in 'Taiwan' started by aardvark250, 17 Jul 2017.

1. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member

Species list of taipei zoo(All species list by the zoo)

Entrance area:

Greater flamingo

White-handed gibbon

Reeve’s muntjac

Formosan area:

Formosan sika deer

Formosan sambar

Formosan wild boar

Small Chinese civet

Swinhoe’s pheasant

Bamboo partridge

Formosan crested myna

Collared scops owl

Clouded leopard

Formosan masked civet

Formosan black bear

European otter

Formosan serow

Formosan rock macaque

White-face flying squirrel

Leopard cat

Yellow-margined box turtle

Formosan pangolin

Formosan ferret badger

Reeve’s muntjac

Children’s zoo:

Did not visit so no species list here(there’s nothing special in it I assumed)

Bird world:

I somehow miss the eagle aviaries so no species in there list.

Other aviaries:

Silver pheasant

Taiwan blue magpie

Victoria crowned pigeon

Golden pheasant

Nicobar pigeon

Rusty laughingthrush

Red junglefowl

Tawny fish owl

Demoiselle crane

Grey crowned crane

White-naped crane

Eurasian crane

Hooded crane

Sarus crane

Red-crowned crane

Green-winged macaw

Rose-ringed macaw

Blue and yellow macaw

Palm cockatoo

White cockatoo

Sulphur-crested cockatoo

Congo grey parrot

Eclectus parrot

Blue-fronted amazon

Great currasow

Violet turaco

Red BoP

Great argus

Grey junglefowl

Toco toucan

Crested pigeon

Jungle crow

Ring-necked pheasant

Green junglefowl

Guinea turaco

In the aviary:

Nicobar pigeon

Pied imperial pigeon

Common crested pigeon

Oriental turtle dove

Spotted dove

Emerald dove

Crested pigeon

Red turtle dove

American wood duck

Striated heron

Demoiselle crane

Scarlet ibis

Moorhen

Blue crane

Violet turaco

Silver pheasant

Lady ampherst’s pheasant

Ring-necked pheasant

Pied mynah

Bamboo partridge

Nicobar pigeon

Egyptian goose

Taiwan whistling thrush

Greater flamingo

Mallard

White pelican

Black-necked swan

Common kingfisher

Lesser flamingo

Chilean flamingo

White-breasted waterhen

Reptile/amphibian house:
    yellow-headed tortoise

Asian brown tortoise

Green iguana

Alligator snapping turtle

Red-footed tortoise

Green water dragon

Golden poison dart frog

Taiwan beauty rat snake

Axolotl

Siebenrock’s side-necked turtle

Sambava tomato frog

Madagascan day gecko

Mangrove snake

Burmese python

Monkey-tailed skink

Veiled chameleon

Green tree python

Rainbow boa

Plumed basilisk

Pancake tortoise

African clawed toad

Black tegu

Budgett’s frog

Burmese star tortoise

Spur-thighed tortoise

Central Asian tortoise

Rat snake(albino specimen)
    common ratsnake

Pueblan milk snake

Carpet python

Eastern diamondback rattlesnake

Leopard tortoise

Hundred-pace pit viper

Common box turtle

Eastern blue-tonged skink

Chinese alligator

European glass lizard

Gila monster

California king snake

Central beaded dragon

Rhinoceros iguana

Leopard gecko

Tartar sand boa

Radiated tortoise

Savannah monitor

Rough-scaled plated lizard

Leopard tortoise

Oriental fire-bellied toad

Green and black poison dart frog

Reticulated python

Greater green snake

Pointed-scale pit viper

Veiled chameleon

Tokay gecko

Central Formosan toad

Blue poison dart frog

Caiman lizard

Taipei grass frog

Chinese striped-necked turtle

Asian yellow pond turtle

Red-eared slider

Chinese softshell turtle

African spurred tortoise

Temperate animal zone:

Grey wolf

Red-eared slider

Brown bear

Red panda

Asian black bear

Puma

Eurasian lynx

European otter

Beaver

Raccoon

Black tailed prairie dog

Tomistoma

American bison

Przewalski’s wild horse

African animal zone:

Black and white ruffed lemur

Brown lemur

Ring tailed lemur

Spotted hyena

Olive baboon

White rhinoceros

Ostrich

Patas monkey

Gorilla

Barbary sheep

Chimpanzee

Bongo

African spurred tortoise

African lion

Eland

Hippo

Chapman’s zebra

Giraffe

Australian zone:

Emu

Dusky pademelon

Eastern grey kangaroo

Cassowary

Desert animal:

Addax
    African wild ass
    Bactrian camel
    Dromedary camel

Asian rainforest:

Pygmy hippopotamus (old enclosure renovating)

Hippopotamus (old enclosure renovating)
    crab-eating mongoose

Siamang

Reeve’s muntjac

Kookaburra (I believe this is a newer attraction that get place in the wrong place)

Orangutan

Malayan tapir

Leopard

Malayan sun bear

Bengal tiger

Indian hornbill

Panda house:
    giant panda

Koala house:
    koala

Insect house:

Formosan stag beetle

Lanyu giant katydid

Tsuda phasmid

Lanyu giant walking stick

Paris peacock

Great orange tip

Large tree nymph

Ceylon blue glassy tiger

Orange oakleaf

Common *****

Staff sergeant

Blue admiral

(and perhaps 10 more butterfly I didn’t take the photo of the sign so I don’t know)

Sipyloidea sipylus
    Entoria taihokuensis
    Phobaeticus serratipes
    Lemyra imparillis

Trachyaretaon carmelae

Extatosoma tiaratum

Datames sp

Six spotted cockroach

Field cricket

Chinese red-headed centipede

Emperor scorpion

Mexican red knee tarantula

Crematogaster rogenhoferi

Polyrhachis illaudata

Polyrhachis dives

Odontomachus monticola

Camponotus habereri

I miss the children’s zoo,the eagle aviary and some part of the insect house so this is not the full list.

zooboy28 likes this.
  2. aardvark250

I've now upload a bunch of photo in the Taipei zoo gallery.Review will be post in this week.

3. aardvark250

And here is the review of Taipei Zoo.

Taipei zoo is a zoo that is located in Taipei, Taiwan. The zoo itself is pretty large, consist of 165 hectares and 90 hectares of developed area (according to Wikipedia).

I was pretty excited about the zoo, as I have heard the zoo is in very high quality and the collection is pretty good.

The zoo was opened in 1914, and moved to Muzha, where it is now located, in 1986. Although the zoo is now almost 30 years from the new site, it certainly doesn’t look like a 30 years old zoo at all.

The zoo is very easy to access as there is a railway station located just at the front of the zoo gate. However, as the zoo is opened till 9 o’ clock, my parents decided to go there a bit late, due to the fact we can stay longer till night. This turn out to be a wrong decision. Anyway, I arrived at the zoo in 10 o’ clock.

Formosan area

Right after I went in the zoo, I rush to the Formosan area, hoping to see some of the rarest species in there. Most of the animal in this area are subspecies endemic to Taiwan, with the exception of the clouded leopard not being the Taiwan subspecies as they are extinct. Most of the enclosures for the animals are lush and big enough, providing opportunities for the animals to hide and the visitors to view. Most of zoochatters will love this area, with highlight subspecies such as Formosan serow, Formosan black bear and Formosan rock macaque, with all three of those are not found in any European zoo. I was pleased to see all three of those in good enclosure, and the serow exhibit is on a steep slope that provide climbing (and shading) for the serow. Both serow are in the shade during my visit, which is not surprise as the temperature is over 30C.The macaque are on an island with some fake trees and vines for them to climb, and some of the macaques are actually swimming in the lake surrounding the island to escape from the heat. The only concern here is that some of the enclosure (the partridge, the pheasant, the owl, the clouded leopard and the masked palm civet) are closed topped. The bird there (the myna and the owl) can’t fly very high as the enclosure doesn’t not extend very high. Also it makes the animal hard to photograph.

The tree-trunk tunnel

Basically this is a nocturnal house type of thing looking like a tree trunk. There are 5 enclosure and six species in there: Formosan ferret badger, Formosan pangolin, a mix enclosure with swinhoe’s pheasant and yellow-margined box turtle, Leopard cat and White-faced flying squirrel. On my visit there, I can only see the pangolin in the burrow, the turtle and the pheasant. As I really want to see the ferret badger, I went there second time when it is dark.

I decided to not visit the children’s zoo as I don’ think there is any species interesting there (correct me if I’m wrong). Instead, I take the train to the top of the zoo and walk back down to the entrance. I went pass the Koala house when I was walking to the train station.

Koala house

This building, surprisingly, house a bunch of koalas. I saw at least 4 of them (one outside and three inside). Of course I have not much interested in a marsupial that sleeps all day but I will say something about the enclosure. Basically, koala in some sticks. As the koalas are either sleeping or nodding its head (Yup, one of the koalas keep nodding and shaking its head), and don’t pay much attention to them and take the train to the Bird World.

Bird World

Right after I depart from the train, I went to the big bird zone. I’ve heard the zoo have a quite good bird collection (which indeed it have) and although I’m a more mammal-like person, I did spend quite a few time there watching the birds.

There is two part of the big bird zone. One part is the big aviary, which consisted of two parts, but I went to the smaller bird enclosure first, which have some quite interesting birds.

Although the aviaries are smaller and not wide enough, it is actually quite tall. It is quite a suitable size for the birds living there, like crowded pigeon and Taiwan blue magpie. Also, there is some pheasant and jungle fowl in there walking. The only exception was the tawny fish owl, which is actually quite big and that enclosure is small for the two inhabitants. There are five aviaries on this side, and another five on the other side of the lake (I will talk about them later). This area is basically a loop and we arrived to the crane section.

Taipei zoo actually have a good crane collection, housing Demoiselle crane, grey-crowned crane, white-naped crane, Eurasian crane, hooded crane, sarus crane, red-crowned crane, blue crane and black-crowned crane.(with the last two in the big aviary). Nine species in a zoo is very good with only 15 species of crane in the world (I think the only zoo that have more is ICF, with all 15 species).However, although each of the exhibit have only 1-2 cranes ,the crane exhibit is a bit on the small side.(Although I have seen smaller exhibit for cranes)The exhibit for red-crowded crane is larger, 2 times of the exhibit of the other cranes, but it is still average size Maybe they can take 2-3 exhibit together and make a bigger exhibit for the cranes.

Next stop is the parrot house. With 9 species of parrot labelled and one unlabeled (galah), the 10 parrot species are housed in three aviaries. The three aviaries are all similar designed, and is quite good for the parrot. A fake tree in the middle, some logs and some plants, and the whole exhibit provided climbing opportunities for the birds. I mean, it is much better than clipped-wing macaw in a stick.

Then I went back in the opposite side of the lake and see the rest of the smaller aviary. The first aviary, unlike other aviaries which have shaded viewing, is out in the sun and housed great currasow and violet turaco. All of the smaller aviaries have the same design .Glass topped, wire on the front, tall but not wide. Sadly I miss the violet turaco and moved on. The next exhibit is for great argus. I found the pattern on the argus quite interesting, with small circles on the tail feather. This aviary is not like other aviaries, and is rather wide but not tall as it is for a pheasant. This species is quite interesting, but the next is better. The first BoP I have seen. There is only one male in the zoo, and it is very active. I stand there and watch the birds for long until it went up and disappear from my eyes. There are also three more aviaries housing crested pigeon, jungle crow and green turaco, as well as ringed-necked pheasant and green junglefowl. Nothing special to talk about and I went back to the entrance of the big aviary.

The big aviary also consists of two parts, the flying bird part and the waterfowl part. Both aviaries are pretty big, measuring 70m by google maps. I would say the aviary is pretty good, with lots of trees and plants. And of course the people are walking on an elevated path with birds flying on top of the head. Species list can be seen on my previous post. The waterfowl part consists of pelican, three species of flamingo, as well as swan and geese and ducks. Although lots of species are not seen by my eyes, I have seen three species of crane, as well as some pigeon and one or two pheasant. The species in the waterfowl part is easier to be seen. Overall, this aviary is as good as the one in HK Park, and the species there is interesting too.

And this is the end of the bird world. I then went to the reptile house.

Reptile house

The first exhibit, outside of the reptile house, holds a very big Aldabra tortoise. The exhibit is a bit small, but consider tortoise didn’t move much, as I tour all the bird world and the tortoise still haven’t move, the size of the enclosure really doesn’t matter. Another outside exhibit holds a mix with green iguana, yellow head tortoise and Asian brown tortoise. Viewing from above, this exhibit is average, with brown and green color iguana. And I enter the interior of the reptile house.

The first exhibit inside is for some large alligator snapping turtle. The exhibit can be seen from underwater and above water level, and seeing how giant those snapping turtle are really amazed me. On the other side, some red-footed tortoise can be seen.

Some species are in tank on the wall or tank placed on the platform, like what you can see in a pet shop. Even the Chinese alligator exhibit is a small exhibit on the wall. Although there are some interesting species, most of them are in an exhibit too small for the inhabitants, like some of the snake tank is so small that a snake can surround the tank with the body length. Although the tank is small, I still couldn’t see some of the inhabitants as they are filled with plants. Don’t expect smaller exhibit will be easier to see the inhabitants. The tortoise/bigger lizard have exhibits on the ground with sands, and you can see in the burrow of the blue-tongued skink which is quite interesting. Anyway, lots of lizard are hiding beneath the rock and make it very hard to find. The snakes are mostly viewable, but as I said, except for the python exhibit, the exhibits for snake are pretty small.

Then we take a long path in the house where there is lots of information sign (along with some smaller frogs/lizards) to tell the visitors more about reptiles/amphibians such as how to distinguish between alligators and crocodiles. And then we reach the second part of the reptile house, where the topic is how to reptile hunt. Almost all of the reptiles there are hunters, and there is an interesting display of a guinea pig that show how do snakes hunt by sensing heat. It also talks about how chameleon hunt with its long tongue, or how do python hunts by not letting the prey to breath. Overall, I found this quite interesting because it has a topic. Beside basic information, it talks more about their hunting behavior.

The last part of the reptile house is two outdoor exhibits for turtle and tortoise. The one which have water in it houses pond turtle and softshell turtle. The dry one house African spurred tortoise (which later have 2 more exhibits in the African zone).

The reptile house has quite a lot of species (over 60 species) and some of them are quite rare. However some of the exhibits (especially the one for medium sized snake) are too small for the inhabitants. Also, the animals are hiding so I don’t actually see most of the species except for their tail outside the rock. I hope most of the exhibit can be much deeper and wider, and the alligator have an exhibit as big as the snapping turtle. Overall, I will rank the reptile house 6-7 out of a 10.

Temperate animal zone

Now we reach the outer exhibit, mostly for mammals. The first exhibit I come along with is the grey wolf exhibit. They grey wolf are separated from the people with a moat and maybe electric fence? Anyway, the wolves were active and were running around their average-size exhibit that I can hardly get a photo as they ran very fast. Next of the grey wolf is a red-eared slider pool, which looks like what you will found in a park nearby so nothing to mention. And then we reach the:

Penguin house

The penguin house holds two species of penguin, and a ton lot of people. The first exhibit is quite big, but I can only see two King penguin in the exhibit. It’s hard to imagine that two penguin shared the exhibit of where other zoo placed a dozen. On the other hand, as penguins are living in groups, I found it quite strange to only have two King in the exhibit which the animals might get quite lonely. They were looking at the mirror when I was there, and I thought maybe they want to have more of their kinds? The exhibit for jackass penguin is a little bit smaller, and holds at least four penguins. One interesting feature in the exhibit is that they use buckets to fit in the holes on the wall, which I don’t know why they would do that. Half of the African penguin’s exhibit is outdoor, but I didn’t see any birds outdoor because it is very hot and the penguin and having air-conditioning while I didn’t.

Out of the penguin house, next exhibit is:

Temperate animal zone continued

Right out of the penguin house, a big and lush exhibit with a small waterfall can be seen through a glass pane window. That exhibit is for brown bear. I can only see one on my visit, which I can only see its back legs moving, and I think it is digging a hole.

This is the first time I’ve seen a bear doing this, and the animal is having natural behaviour in the zoo, which is exciting for me. Most of the bear I have seen live in a bear pit begging for food.

The red panda exhibit is very good, although the exhibit is not open-topped, there are lots of small trees and plants, as well as some fake logs for them to climb. I can’t see any red pandas on my visit proved that there are a lot of places for the red panda to hide. The exhibit is also big enough and provides lots of climbing opportunities for the red panda.

The Asian black bear exhibit is much like the same as the brown bear one, with a pool in the middle and load of planting. Behind the pool is a big rock for the bear to stand, and in the other side of the exhibit, a moat separate the bear from the visitors. The bear was very active, and even went in the pool for cooling down.

The three wired exhibit for puma and lynx follow the same style. Mostly some piece of logs and woods in the exhibit, with some vegetation in both exhibits. The mountain lion were not seen during my visit, and the lynx just wake up and stretch himself.

The raccoon exhibit is basically some branch and trees and logs, with some hollow holes in the logs for them to sleep. During my visit, the raccoon is sleeping in one of the hollow holes.

I saw at least 4 black-tailed prairie dogs in their exhibit. The exhibit provides lots of places for them to dig, and two of them stand up during my visit. The whole exhibit is filled with dirt, and the BTPD can dig and run through their exhibit. Maybe a little pop-up hole in the BTPD exhibit makes it better?
    The tomistoma exhibit is pretty large, with larger water area than land area. The inhabitants itself is also quite large, and was lurking in the water before diving down and disappear from my eyesight. It is worth to note that I know one of the tomistoma is a deformed animal, where his mouth is deformed and can’t eat normally, and now can eat better with the help of the keeper. This shows that the zoo is also doing well at rescuing animal.

The American bison exhibit have two animals, and although there is a pool, a shelter and loads of grass for them, the exhibit is too small for such a large animal that roams through the Yellowstone. Also, the weather there is too hot for the bison even they have cut their hair bit. I suggest the exhibit to be larger, maybe as large as the elephant or giraffe exhibit, which is average?

The last exhibit in the temperate zone is the przewalski’s horse. The exhibit is okay in size, but there is nothing special with it, just sand on the ground and some horses, what you will see in an ordinary exhibit.

In conclusion, the temperate zone has exhibits for 14 species of animals, and most of the exhibits are large and lush, and suit the inhabitants well. However, the raccoon exhibit can have more vegetation, and the bison exhibit should extend larger to let the bison have more space. I’m quite impressed with the red panda exhibit, as it is the lushest exhibit I have seen for this kind. Although there isn’t much species I was impressed here and there is no lifetick, the exhibit for the animal is quite good, and was well suit for the animals.

African animals

First exhibit of the African zone is the outdoor exhibit is viewed from above, housing ring tailed, black and white ruffed and brown lemur. The outdoor exhibit seems nice, with trees and plants for them to climb, but the lemur are all locked in indoor for I don’t know what reason, so I can’t see them using the exhibit.

Moving down, the exhibit is for two spotted hyena. The exhibit is small, with two big logs in the middle, and two trees behind the log. The exhibit is housing two hyenas, and I really found this exhibit not good in term of the zoo. Most of the exhibits are filled with trees and lush grass and plants, but this exhibit is like a grotto and I feel like this exhibit is out of place. It really isn’t good and seems oddly in this zoo.

The indoor exhibit for lemur is up next. The exhibit is view from glass panel (which is the case for other African primates and the lion). And I’m not a fan of locking animal in indoor, especially if the indoor or made of concrete floor and a few logs and sticks. Anyway, seeing three species of lemur in one exhibit is good, but I think they could get out, not just staying in the indoor exhibit.

The baboon exhibit is okay, but I think there is not much for the primates to climb, even they can climb on the rocks on the backside of the exhibit. The chimpanzee exhibit basically is two monkey-climbing structures with tyres on it, which I think could, do better by actually having real trees for them to climb, and I don’t like man-made object such as tyres in an animal exhibit. The gorilla exhibit seems better, as because the gorilla doesn’t climb much, and I can only see one in my visit. There is also tree in the middle, and bushes behind the moat. (I don’t know why they put a little moat when they have glass)

The barbary sheep have much climbing with a steep slope in the back offering climbing and hiding opportunities, the bongo exhibit is a bit small when housing 7-8 bongos, the rhinoceros have quite a big exhibit and some sand.

The patas monkey have some logs and branches for them, and the exhibit is closed topped with glass viewing, again providing less opportunities for the monkey to climb and man-made object makes the exhibit worse.

The lion exhibit is fairly good, with grass as the ground and some logs and holes on the wall, and the lion are actually moving. (I always see lion and they sleep all day)

The giraffe exhibit from the back is good, but I seldom see giraffe only have 2 animals as giraffe are herd. The giraffe have a different coat colour, but both of them are reticulated. There is grass for them to run around, and although you can’t feed the giraffe, the giraffe actually can come quite close (and he did).Another viewing of the giraffe exhibit show the shelter for the giraffe, and the feeding things for them.

The hippo exhibit is under renovation and the hippos actually transfer to the Asian rainforest area temporarily, I hope they will have underwater viewing in the new exhibit.(But somehow I still see one popping out his nostrils down the bridge)

Two hoofstock paddock, the one most of the zoo have, sand and sand and some grass and some trees, for Eland and Chapman’s zebra. Quite a lot of individuals are there, and the eland seems somehow mixed with an oryx but unsigned. The zebra exhibit is better since it have more grass and some trees for them, while the eland have short grass and only two trees.

Going to the other viewing of the giraffe, and we are in:

Australian Zone

This zone is small, and since the koala have moved to their own house, there is only four exhibit here, cassowary, emu, eastern grey kangaroo and dusky pademelon.

Sadly I missed the pademelon, as they probably went back to their burrow or they are no show, but judging from their exhibit, all four exhibit are good, with trees and grass, the whole exhibit provide a lush green feeling, and except for those two small (I hope temporarily) exhibit for emu, most of the exhibit are big enough for their inhabitants, with the cassowary exhibit being a bit small. As I didn’t have much time, I didn’t spend much time looking at them, and I can’t spot the pademelon so I stay here shortly.

Desert zone

This zone is small too, and has only three exhibits for four species, dromedary, Bactrian camel, somali wild ass and addax, with the addax in the same exhibit as the somali wild ass. The camel exhibit is clearly too small, and the Bactrian camel have grass rather than sand that makes me feel not good. Four dromedaries in a small exhibit is bad too, and I think they can combined both exhibit to form a bigger one for all the animals. The wild ass and the addax exhibit have sand, and in the middle have logs and trees to form like an oasis. I also spend little time here, and I quickly move on to:

Asian rainforest zone

Although called Asian rainforest, some of the animals are actually not from Asia (the temporarily hippo/pygmy hippo, and the kookaburra). Anyway, crossing the river, the first exhibit I can see is for two pygmy hippos. The exhibit has a shelter, and of course the water is good enough for them, with water covering almost 3/4 of the exhibit. The pygmy hippos are yawning when I was visit, just like their bigger cousin.

Next exhibit is one of the highlight for me. Crab-eating mongoose! I believe there are only a few holders of this species in zoo, and the exhibit is in high quality. There are so much trees and bushes for the mongoose to hide, and there is a river and a log bridge in the middle, and also some caves on the back. I can saw two of them in my visit, and they are very active. They were running around and climbing through the tunnel and stuff. This is one of the rarest species in the zoo, and I’m very delighted to see this species, and with a high quality exhibit.

The siamang exhibit is on a island, and there is some trees for them to climb and swing, just like a gibbon exhibit you can see in zoos (of course not zoos like medan or Surabaya), and the two are swinging between the trees. The orangutan exhibit is also on an island, but this time there are big branches of tress and log, providing climbing for the apes, and the back is a great view.

The kookaburra exhibit is closed topped, but I think the ceiling is too low for the animals and they can’t actually fly high.

I can only saw one Malayan tapir on my visit, the exhibit seems good, with a moat for them to swim in. The black swan has gone, and the tapir is swimming in the water to cool down. There is also some trees on the back and is high up on another level. (I think the tapir can also get access to it)

The leopard exhibit is closed topped, and I can’t find any since the exhibit is lush with grass and bushes, and a cliff for them on the back. The Malayan bear exhibit is a bit small and like a slope with grass, and that is the same with the Bengal tiger. On my visit, both of them are actually cleaning and they predators are obviously go behind stage so I can’t see them using the exhibit. But I think they can plants some trees and extend the exhibit.

Strangely the hippo and the Asian elephant shared their exhibit, and of course there is water in the back and the elephant and the hippo seems having no problems in the same exhibit. The exhibit is large enough for the inhabitants, but seems a bit barren and can probably add some plants to it to make it more beautiful.

Last exhibit is for the Indian hornbill. The exhibit is also not tall and the hornbill can’t fly much, and there isn’t much higher trees, just lots of bushes on the ground. I don’t know why they don’t have the birds in the bird area, as the aviaries there are taller although narrow.

Overall the rainforest area is not entirely Asian rainforest, but the exhibit there (except for the elephant/hippo) actually have loads of bushes and some trees, lush and green and really look like in their natural habitats. Of course some of the exhibit can be larger(predators) or be higher(birds), but it is quite a good zone and with crab-eating mongoose in it was a good experience.

Panda house

Nothing special in the panda house, the house is big, but the second and third floor are restaurant and souvenirs shop, so actually is it not that big. The outdoor exhibit seems lush and is located on a slope, but I can’t see panda using it because the two are in indoors. The indoors exhibit is mostly you will find in most zoos, with concrete floor, some logs, a small pond for them, food on woods and logs, and some fake trees for them to climb. The two pandas are in different exhibit, but I can’t find a reason why they can’t be out. The outdoor exhibit seems better than indoors but when I see pandas, I mostly see them only indoor(sometimes with glass top but also indoor).Some zoo also have outdoor for pandas but they seldom use it(at least when I was there).

The tree-trunk tunnel part II

I went back to the tunnel to see the Formosan ferret badger and the pangolin and the white-faced flying squirrel. This time here all three of them are active. The ferret badger went out and run around (I see food in the middle). The ferret badger exhibit is divided into two, with both side a cave which the badger can escape from the public view, and the exhibit is mostly sand. The badgers are running around so I can’t get a good shot.

The pangolin exhibit is long and narrow, and one of the pangolin just went out from its burrow and decided to run around the exhibit, climbing up the branches. The flying squirrel on the other hand stands still on the top of the exhibit, not moving. But as the exhibit is dark, and can’t figure to have a good photo. Both of the exhibit is dirt ground with leaves, and have some branches for them to climb. The flying squirrel can use the backside of the exhibit as a cliff for them to climb up and glide down.

The insect house

The insect house is divided into two parts (four but I miss two). First part is the butterfly aviary, which consist of two building. There is at least ten butterfly species there, and both parts are greenhouse like exhibit, and with some smaller exhibit on the path. The first part has some caterpillar in round exhibit on the wall, and the second have some stick insect in a cupboard like thing. I can see at least eight species of butterfly, and the butterflies are flying around my head.

The parts in the insect house I miss are the water and night insect part.

Anyway onto the last part, there is basically teeny tiny small ants in round exhibits on the wall, which I didn’t have much interest on ants so I didn’t observe them for long. They are basically two sticks for them in a glass exhibit and the whole stick is filled with ants.

Anyway for a final conclusion. Taipei zoo is quite good in lots of parts, they have some rare species, their enclosure quality is good, and most of the exhibit are lush and have bushes make a green environment, and lots of the exhibits are well suit for the inhabitants in it. Also they have done good in conversation, and have great breeding results in pangolin. However, like every zoos, there is something bad and need to be improve. I mean, even San Diego have elephant odyssey. The camel exhibit is clearly too small, the aviary in the bird is narrow and I think can expand, the crane exhibit is on the small side, only two king penguin can be seen…. At last, I will rate the zoo 8 out of 10 and I think deserve top five of zoos in Asia. It will rank good even in the western world. I enjoy my visit very much and I hope the zoo will be even more better when they open the rainforest house/aviary sort of thing.