Join our zoo community

Takin in North American Zoos

Discussion in 'North America - General' started by snowleopard, 15 Mar 2009.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

According to ISIS there are only 8 Mishmi takin in North American zoos, with 7 of those (3.4) at the Denver Zoo and a solitary male at the San Diego Zoo. Is that one male off exhibit?

However, there are a number of zoos with Sichuan takin in North America, with large herds at the San Diego Zoo (6.7) and at the Wilds facility in Ohio (8.9).

2. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

The Minnesota Zoo is a favorite of mine simply because I was so pleased to see a large group!

I recall when I worked at the Cincinnati Zoo and we got our first Sichuan takin (male)...when first introduced to his exhibit (a re-purposed old exhibit on the "Deer Line") he smashed the heavy doors and even stronger doors had to be installed. How can you not love such an animal?

3. Blackduiker

Blackduiker Well-Known Member

Blackduiker

Remembering how rare and expensive these animals were in zoos back in the 70s, I believe the Bronx Zoo was a pioneer back then, I'm glad to now see any type in Los Angeles 1/2 Sichuan. One of my dream species for this zoo. Hoping for breeding success soon! And note their are no Golden Takin in North America.

4. Safari Park

Safari Park Well-Known Member

Takin are a very interesting species. I'm guessing the inbreeding coeffecients don't really affect them as there are at least 70 Sichuan with only 4 imports ever brought in. They are at least a few more in the private sector but not exactly how many. Does anyone know how many Mishmi are in North America. I know there are 27 at one facility so there must be 30+. I could be mistaken but i think they derive from 1.1 and another male. Does anyone know the history on them?

5. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is that mishmi takin listed in San Diego a real listing or an ISIS artifact?

6. loxodonta

loxodonta Well-Known Member

I visited the Metro Richmond Zoo last summer and they had a takin that resembled a mishmi rather than a sichuan. I know this is unlikely but I was wondering if anyone had any info on this animal

7. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

The Mishmi Takin population in North America is derived from 1.1 half siblings imported by the San Diego Zoo from Berlin Tierpark in 1991.

The Sichuan Takin population in North America is derived from 1.2 wild caught takin imported by San Diego from China (via Berlin TP) in 1987/88. An additional 1.0 captive born takin was imported by San Diego from China in 1994.

The Metro Richmond Zoo acquired 0.1 Mishmi Takin from San Diego in 2002.

8. loxodonta

loxodonta Well-Known Member

Thank you okapikpr, you are wise.

9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is it not time to do a constructive exchange with Sichuan takin ex Europe. That way - if both contain unrelated gene pools - to maximise genetic diversity in both the SSP and EAZA captive populations.

In terms of cooperation, it would be imperative that Rotterdam-Blijdorp Zoo receive a female Sichuan takin ex the SSP for breeding (previous pair had 4 offspring). The Berlin TP combo could do with some new blood as well.

10. kbaker116

kbaker116 Well-Known Member

There are two new male baby Sichuan takins at the Detriot Zoo I wonder where they came from they look quite young about 6 months old.

11. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

12. Phantom Gaur

Phantom Gaur Well-Known Member

I just went to Metro Richmond in August and talked to one of the keepers. I believe he said they have 5 or 6 Mishmi Takin.

13. Pacarana

Pacarana Well-Known Member

Denver zoo does not have Mishmi Taken anymore.

14. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

ISIS has not yet been fully updated then:
    Denver 2.1
    San Diego 1.0

What zoo is meant by Metro Richmond. :confused:
    Equally not listed on ISIS.

15. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Metro Richmond Zoo is located near Richmond, VA. It is a private zoo, that has ZAA accreditation and often exhibits animals rare in many zoos - picking up surplus from the major zoos.

16. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Is the Metro Richmond Zoo any good? I've heard that it is one of the last bastions for Asiatic black bears in North American zoos and that there are quite a number of rare animals not commonly seen in major zoos. The lack of AZA accreditation is often a red flag as that conjures up images of chain-link cages and generally poor enclosures and the reviews are not impressive on travel sites. However, if they have Mishmi takin then that is a nice little surprise for such an unheralded zoo.

17. Phantom Gaur

Phantom Gaur Well-Known Member

Personally, I liked it. There were some chain link cages but also some nice open areas. Many mixed species exhibits. As far as rare animals, I'll list some that seem rare to me and I've been to all the zoos in New England,most in New York, and several down the east coast to Virginia(including Bronx,Philly,DC... and also Toronto).
    Mishmi Takin
    Klipspringer
    Dik-Dik
    Himalayan Tahr
    Blackbuck
    Gemsbok
    Allen's Swamp Monkey
    Diana Monkey
    Chimps
    Grant's Gazelle
    Steenbok

18. gorgeousingray

gorgeousingray Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard anything regarding the Bhutan takin imports for the National zoo's Asian trail?

19. DeydraOZ

DeydraOZ Well-Known Member

Rio Grande zoo has a few takin. Not sure on the numbers.

20. Rookeyper

Rookeyper Well-Known Member

I believe that zoos that have switched to ZIMS are no longer updated on ISIS.