Join our zoo community

Tallinn Zoo Tallinn zoo

Discussion in 'Estonia' started by eddielargefc, 4 Jun 2012.

1. eddielargefc

eddielargefc Active Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi
    My family and I are keen zoo enthusiasts from the UK. In August we will be on holiday on a cruise in the Baltic. We are very keen to fit in a visit to Tallinn zoo and open air museum (we have visted some of the city's other highlights on previous trips) but only have limited time as the ship will only dock for one day.

Is it very easy and quick to get from the quay to the zoo and is the best way by taxi, tram or bus?

Any advice appreciated.

2. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I visited Tallinn Zoo in January 2012, ie. the middle of winter, much snow, few visitors, no food available, etc, etc, but still had a really good day, saw heaps of animals, and most were in reasonable to good enclosures, although not all.

We caught trolley bus no.6, which cost 1euro each, and stops at the zoo gate, so stay on until you can definitely see the gates of the zoo. Buses depart from the area just outside the Veru Keskus Shopping Centre, on the opposite side to the Old Town. You have probbaly been here before if you have been to Tallinn previously. I would recommend avoiding the taxis at the dock, and walking up and through the Old Town (get a map first!) to the bus station, this may take 30 minutes, but at least you won't have huge backpacks on and be trudging through snow or slipping on ice. You will need to buy bus tickets at a R-Kiosk, there is one by the bus stop. If you get confused, ask at the information desk inside the shopping centre. The bus ride takes around 20 minutes. The zoo only costs 2euro to enter, and 1euro for a map.

I don't know anything about the open-air museum, sorry. Maybe you could get a taxi from the zoo to there, and then from there to the dock? I think the ones at the dock are unreliable.

3. eddielargefc

Thanks zooboy28 for the advice. I will certainly avoid the taxis at the dock and get a bus to the zoo and then maybe take a chance on the taxis within the city.

4. SiQ

SiQ New Member

Hi Eddielargefc,

You can find necessary information here:
    EVM | Museum | Museum

Actually You can walk from Zoo to open-air museum. it takes maximum 15 minutes, no more.

I´m lucky when this information helps You!

5. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Tallinn have announced that they are due to recieve new Black Rhino/s in April 2013, following the loss of the previously kept bull "Murray"

6. eddielargefc

Hi Just to report back on my summer trip to Tallinn zoo. We walked away from the docks and got a taxi from the city to the zoo. As the zoo is quite a few kilometres away from the city the taxi still cost over 20 Euros, NB we got bus number 6 (it stops right outside the zoo) back into the City for under two Euros!

We had a great time at the zoo and really appreciated the efforts of the new owners to create better enclosures for their larger animals (e.g snow leopard)and an acknowledgement that this takes time and money and therefore a few of ther larger animals (particualrly the bears) are not in enriched enclosures yet. This zoo covers a massive area so is not easy to walk around twice (although we did that for the central area). The zoo is also a haven for hoofed stock enthusiasts as I have never seen so many diferrent types of goat in one zoo.

7. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Good to hear that you had a good visit. Tallinn Zoo is said to have the world's largest collection of sheep and goat species, and they are generally in large herds in great enclosures. The redevelopment of the zoo has seen a large number of species, including the Snow and Amur Leopards, Hyaenas and others, move into excellent enclosures, but others are still in very poor conditions, especially the Polar Bears and Tigers. It appears that the next project is renovation and extension of the Elephant House (allowing for PC). Hopefully new enclosures for the bears and tigers will follow soon after.

8. AdvoCat

AdvoCat Well-Known Member

Black Rhinos are coming to Tallinn April/Mai 2013.

9. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

I am going to Tallinn at the end of this month. I will try to borrow a camera to take on the trip and take a comprehensive set of pictures for the gallery.

10. Nisha

The first of these has now been confirmed as female, Kibibi from Krefeld... expected to arrive in next few weeks

11. AdvoCat

The other one is Kigoma from Berlin.

12. Nisha

Black Rhino, Kibibi has left Krefeld for Tallinn today

13. AdvoCat

Kibibi and Kigoma safely arrived Tallinn today.

14. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Some bird-news from Tallinn Zoo :
    Temninck tragopans have chicks
    Hawk owl one young bird left the nest

15. AdvoCat

Tallinn has a pair of Fishing cats - 0.1 arrived yesterday from EFBC California.

16. AdvoCat

Black-and-white Ruffed Lemurs (two females and a male) arrived from Nikolaev, Ukraine last week,

17. AdvoCat

18. Paradoxurus

Paradoxurus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is amazing footage. Thanks for posting the link.

19. AdvoCat

My pleasure.
    Merry Christmas!

20. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Yes it is, amazing to see. Do you know what the situation is with the planned new enclosure?