Join our zoo community

Tapirs

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Writhedhornbill, 11 Jul 2007.

1. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

Tapirs are one of my favourite animals. They are inquistive, funny and unique. What do you think of Tapirs? do you have a favourite species?

2. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I like the Malayan Tapir. They seem to be more difficult to keep than the South American Tapir though.

3. Writhedhornbill

My favourite is the mountain tapir, they are only kept in american and columbian zoos. They have a little white lip on their face, which makes them absolutely adorable.

4. skoop102

skoop102 Well-Known Member

Hello. Tapirs are my favourite animal.

My favourite species is the Brazilian, just because they are the ones I have seen most and they have provided hours of zoo entertainment for me.

I have seen the Malayan's at Twycross, but I haven't seen Mountain or Baird's in captivity because they aren't in England.

I especially love baby tapirs just because they are so cute.

Last week I visited Bristol Zoo, where a volunteer told me that the keepers are having to hand rear a baby Brazilian because the mother's milk has dried up. The baby is only a few weeks old (Parents Tamang and Denzel, the baby, a male, has been called Roger).

5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I guess that makes them 'little darlings' too?;)

6. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Three different people and three different species as favourite. Anoyone out there willing to vote for Baird's Tapir?

7. Writhedhornbill

I've seen them at LA and at San diego zoo. At WSan diego there is a pair of them. While at LA there is a lone male. He , i was informed hardly ever moves.

Yes grant, tapirs are little darlings!!!

8. Pertinax

That's good- and you have a sense of humour.. If you hope to work in a zoo fulltime you'll need it then;)

9. Pertinax

sorry, I guess I should add my Tapir favourite too- it would have to be Malayan- for size and the colour scheme. And since I learnt from our Australian collegues that they are highly aggressive in captivity, then I'm an even bigger fan- I do like my zoo animals 'wild'....

10. Pertinax

I also collect Postcards of Zoo Animals. I have 10 Brazilian Tapir cards, 7 Malayan Tapirs(of which the Twycross one is the best) but no Bairds or Mountain....

11. bloodycurtus

bloodycurtus Well-Known Member

Malayan's get my vote really hoping we are going to get on sometime
    although nesbit was awsome to work with ( brazilian for them who didnt know)

12. Writhedhornbill

I have a picture of nesbitt on my desktop. She's soo cute. She had white spots and stripes on her legs when I saw her both times in 2001 and 2004. Was she a young tapir?

13. bloodycurtus

she wasnt perticuly young and she definatly shouldnt have had the spots and stripes lol

14. skoop102

The the male at Twycross (Brazilian) also has stripes and spots on his legs, especially his rear legs, and he is quite old now.

15. bloodycurtus

nesbit is 8 years old on the 24th july

16. skoop102

Thought I would post this here seeing as it's about tapirs

I found this information on the German website 4TAPIRS :: Das Außergewöhnliche vor der Ausrottung schützen! (translated on Free Translation and Professional Translation Services from SDL International)

"Out of the Wildife Conservation Centre, Sungai Dusun, Selangor, Malaysia, a world record was reported recently: It concerns the first birth of Malayan tapir twins.

The first, feminine calf came on the 26 May with a weight of 10 kg to the world, that second, masculine calf on the 8 June with 9 kg weights. Both are well after reports of the park administration. Because however the older female in the competition more strongly prevails around the mothers milk".

Has anyone seen or heard reports of these Malayan twins? I can't find anything about them anywhere else online.

17. skoop102

18. Writhedhornbill

Just thought of all the zoos I've seen tapirs in:

Mountain: LA zoo

Baird's: LA zoo, San diego zoo

Malayan Tapir: Twycross, Edinburgh, San diego, Antwerp, London

Brazilian: Chester ( My 4 adopted Tapirs), Twycross, Southport, Blackbrook Flamingoland, Zurich, There was this mini zoo in Pembrokshire that we saw Tommy the Tapir, Longleat, Lille, Parc paradisio has got them since I went in 2003. I think that's it. So many zoos have brazilian tapirs

Also Blackbrook used to mix it's Tapirs with Maragui storks. It seemed a nice exhibit. All the animals got on well.

19. skoop102

I have seen Brazilian Tapirs at;
    Twycross Zoo, Longleat Safari Park, Chester Zoo, Linton Zoo, Paradise Wildlife Park, Cotswold Wildlife Park, Dudley Zoo, Bristol Zoo, Blackbrook, Drayton Manor and I think thats it.
    I have seen the Malayans at Twycross.
    I have admired all species from afar on TV and online. How sad!:eek:

Can anyone tell me, do London Zoo have 1 Malayan tapir or 2?

20. Pertinax

They've cetainly had two in the past but I only saw the one when I went recently and you can go in the inside house again now. There may be an offshow den where a 2nd animal was hiding, but it seemed like only the one. It doesn't answer your question for sure though....