Join our zoo community

Tapirs

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Writhedhornbill, 11 Jul 2007.

1. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

ISIS lists 1.1 at London, dated 13th July.

2. ^Chris^

^Chris^ Well-Known Member

There definitely are two tapirs- I visited just this week and saw both of them. They seemed pretty frisky so there may be even more soon.

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If London Zoo are keeping them, and they should, they really need a decently designed paddock with plenty of shade, a nice pool etc, rather than installing them somewhere in an already existing enclosure. The back of the Ostrich house next to the Pygmy Hippos is a possibility- if it was redesigned for them.

I still think they'll leave the Cotton terrace enclosure in due course.

4. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

I just saw Bairds tapir's in Wuppertal Zoo (the only ones in Europe) and the were absolutely adorable :D. I even saw them swimming underwater :cool:

5. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

The baird's tapir are probably my least favourite tapir, beacuse I haven't seen them very much. I want to go to germany and have a tour around all the good zoos.

Tapirs are very aquctic. There is a video on YOUTUBE of a baird's tapir at Wuppertal doing just that. Swimming underwater. I think Wuppertal is one of the only zoos in the world to have underwater viewing for tapirs.

6. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

taronga has a great malayan tapir underwater area, it has numerous fish, as well as watetr geese and mandarin like ducks. the eventual plan is to hav it a mixed species otter/tapir, as the otter exhibit is next to it, literally, the galls pannel nearly forms a single line (structural poles separete)

7. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

You're right there, Zoo Boy, it reminds me a lot of Melbourne's Pigmy Hippo exhibit, as the tapirs swim right up against the glass.

After Sydney's recent rain the water went from clear to something resembling chocolate, but the tapirs didn't seem to mind!

8. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

i have pictures of it, boy was it murky, it was all the run off from teh ele exhibit, but the top exhibit for tapir was nice and cleanw hen i was tehre 2 weeks ago, but the bottom underwater was still clearing

i wish tarongas, was the size of melbournes hippos