Join our zoo community

Tarantulas in New Zealand

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by zooboy28, 22 Jun 2012.

1. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

:D Okay, I don't wanna mess with you guys. (I just thought it must be at least humid because of a clima chart in the internet and a friend of mine who was visiting NZ many times for a couple of weeks and it was ALLWAYS raining).

If anything goes wrong, we shouldn't take that as a kismet, should we? (Specially when we are as tough as Newzealandians;))
    I like to mention, that this is not a NZ bashing, it is just against some - hmh, lets say: weird - decisions of authorities (as we have had recently in Switzerland by stopping the import of dolphins for example. And we have just one (1!) dolphinarium/dolphin lagoon in an amusement park).

2. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Ah, that makes sense. Just struck me as odd!

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I should rephrase that I think. Individual tarantulas could actually survive quite well in the wild over the summer in many parts of NZ, but they couldn't establish a population because the winters are too cold, even in the far north.

4. Chlidonias

its been almost 24 hours since the zoo answered this on facebook (took their time about it though!!) so I'm just going to add it here now:
    ...which are these ones (in bold) from the approved list (I'm also including the Costa Rica zebra tarantula for good measure, because Butterfly Creek has that species on display already):

Aphonopelma moderatum (Rio Grande gold tarantula)
    Aphonopelma seemanni (Costa Rica zebra tarantula)
    Avicularia urticans (Peruvian pink toe tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithii (Mexican red knee tarantula)
    Citharischius crawshayi (king baboon tarantula)
    Grammostola pulchra (Brazilian black tarantula)
    Grammostola rosea (Chilean rose hair tarantula) [Chilean rose]

Lasiodorides polycuspulatus (Peruvian blonde tarantula)
    Lasiodorides striatus (Peruvian orange stripe tarantula) [Peruvian striped leg]
    Pamphobetus antinous (steely blue-leg bird-eating spider) [Bolivian blue leg]

Pamphobetus platytomma (Brazilian pink tarantula)
    Theraphosa blondi (Goliath bird-eating spider)

I have to say that, apart for the Mexican red-kneed tarantula, the most attractive species on the list are the ones that aren't in the import!!

5. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Fair enuf, I been flat out with work, and forgot to check. Can't edit the first post know either to complete the species lists, perhaps a mod could do this when they get a chance?

6. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Does anybody know of a case of bird-eaters establishing a breeding population outside their natural range?

7. Chlidonias

this link http://www.freshfromflorida.com/pi/enpp/ento/images/exoticstable.pdf and others say the Mexican red rump tarantula Brachypelma vagans is established in Florida.

Apparently Avicularia avicularia is also established in the Everglades.

8. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

If I am correct, Australia is only allowed to import females and have to be displayed and housed with something like two layers of glass. I guess New Zealand is the place to go to see exotic spiders in this region.

9. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Only a handful of species, non pregnant females and can only be kept by "high securitt facilities" only. worth a trip to nz me thinks.

10. zooboy28

New Article from Orana Park:

The Andean Stripe Knee wasn't mentioned previously, was it?

11. Chlidonias

Andean stripe knee is the same as what Wellington are calling the Peruvian striped leg. I guess Orana wanted to be different. These completely ungrammatical common names annoy me!!

To avoid confusion it is Lasiodorides striatus

12. Private_Nemesis

Private_Nemesis New Member

I agree - its almost as bad as referring to tarantula as "bird-eaters"!!!

13. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sorry but tarantula is possibly even worse, although I grant you far more commonly used in the pet trade. Tarantula is an Italian word that refers to a native species of wolf spider - completely unrelated to this group of spiders. Theraphosids are the term that most scientifically-minded keepers use, which is what I tend to use also, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that there is something gramatically incorrect with this as well. I don't have a huge problem with them being referred to as bird-eaters, while not truly indicative of their nature the name doesn't tend to get them confused with other groups of spiders.
    I guess all three names will continue to be used depending on your preference.

14. Chlidonias

I prefer to use mygalomorph myself. The word of course covers more species than just those in Theraposidae but it is a very handy general term. The word theraposid is quite correct when referring to just that family.

15. Chlidonias

only two of the spiders are going to the Otago Museum:
    Large, hairy arrivals settle in | Otago Daily Times Online News : Otago, South Island, New Zealand & International News

16. Chlidonias

a Chilean rose has gone to Ti Point from Auckland Zoo

17. zooboy28

An update to the list of tarantulas in NZ zoos, may be slightly out of date, but more up-to-date than the previous lists :)

There are 11 species present, spread across 7 collections.

Costa Rican Zebra Tarantula Aphonopelma seemanni Auckland Zoo, Butterfly Creek
    Peruvian Pinktoe Tarantula Avicularia urticans Auckland Zoo, Butterfly Creek, Canterbury Museum, Wellington Zoo
    Mexican Red-knee Tarantula Brachypelma smithi Auckland Zoo, Canterbury Museum, Wellington Zoo
    King Baboon Tarantula Citharischius crawshayi Butterfly Creek, Wellington Zoo
    Brazilian Black Tarantula Grammostola pulchra Orana Park, Otago Museum, Wellington Zoo
    Chilean Rose Tarantula Grammostola rosea Canterbury Museum, Orana Park, Otago Museum, Ti Point Reptile Park, Wellington Zoo
    Goliath Stripe-legged Tarantula Lasiodora striatus Auckland Zoo, Otago Museum
    Peruvian Striped-leg Tarantula Lasiodorides striatus Canterbury Museum, Orana Park, Wellington Zoo
    Bolivian Blue leg Tarantula Pamphobetus aninous Auckland Zoo, Butterfly Creek, Canterbury Museum, Wellington Zoo
    Goliath Tarantula Theraphosa blondi Wellington Zoo
    Thailand Black Tarantula Haplopelma minax Butterfly Creek

Last edited: 10 Feb 2014
  18. arachnidgirl

arachnidgirl New Member

Hey guys, bit late to the party!

Has anyone done an update on the current sp. in NZ zoos? I'm trying to gather information about our friendly 8-legged buddies and I'm having a rough time trying to come up with a full list of names.

I was interested that the Cyriopagopus minax was in New Zealand at one point, being an old world taranula and being a defensive t, rather than taking on the Brachypelma sp. or more Avicularia sp. Since we've basically only seemed to allow NW tarantulas here for the most part, also that a bunch of tarantulas that weren't on the list were allowed into NZ interests me immensely. I've learnt about our strict importation laws being a hobbyist myself now so that's been fun!.

19. Chlidonias

yeah, either zooboy28 or myself can post an update on what and where species are, whichever of us gets round to it first.

I expect the Thai black tarantula had been one animal which was accidental (e.g. either intercepted in cargo or confiscated), rather than an actual import.

20. arachnidgirl

arachnidgirl New Member

thank you! i would really appreciate it for some research i'm doing :)