Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo Taronga news 2012

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Lyrebird, 9 Jan 2012.

1. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

......and as "they" did with Sitatunga too.

A few people have suggested that, as we have Bongo, we didn't need Sitatunga.
    Well, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but Sitatunga are gorgeous antelopes, particularly the females and quite different to Bongos in appearance.

2. khakibob

khakibob Well-Known Member

G'day Monty.
    Unfortunately,I believe what you say is true.
    Until private breeders (I don't mean private zoo's/exibitor's) have this species & are able to allow zoos & other consumers to acquire them,as needed, they will always remain "rare" & face a localised extinction in this country.
    They are not secure here until private owners with large acres & suitable facilities have them.Thankfully this is still the case with nilgai.

No ne has any thoughts on the Tb?

Cheers Khakibob

3. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

From what I hear the TB has been concentrated within the elephants and chimps and luckily no other species in the zoo. I think the chimps may also be now clear of TB?

4. Jabiru96

Forgot to mention, one of the bush bird aviaries (formerly wetlands) is being renovated.

5. khakibob

khakibob Well-Known Member

Thanks Jabiru96.
    Any thought on how it jumped from the elephants to the chimps?

Cheers Khakibob

6. Jabiru96

No idea at all sorry. However, it was unfortunate that Chimbuka died from the TB just before they were moved into their renovated home.

7. Jabiru96

Johari the lion has been sent to Werribee Open Range Zoo.

8. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Of course one way around it would be to encourage NZ zoos to import some new stock and then pass on individuals/progeny to Australia. Possible. Probable?

9. Krystle

Krystle New Member

Hi my name is Krystle i want to learn more about the conservation and preservation of sumatran tigers. Would anyone have any information about the breeding programs or the conservation efforts of taronga zoo please??

10. Goura

Goura Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Could anyone advise me as to whether or not there is still a Victoria riflebird on display at Taronga?

11. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

According to the 2009 ARAZPA Census, the most recent I have access to, Taronga Zoo is listed as having one male Paradise Riflebird, this being the only riflebird held in ARAZPA collections. This is also the case for the 2007 and 2008 censuses.

12. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There are no Riflebirds currently listed as being held in any Australian zoos.

13. Goura

Thanks - hope it's still there then.

14. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

in case you overlooked Steve's post, he said there are now no riflebirds listed as being held in Australian zoos (which includes Taronga's listings)

15. Goura

Don't know what i was looking at!...well i can only hope that some day in the near future we will see them again in a collection.

16. Jabiru96

Forgot to mention, a new TV program titled 'WildLife at the Zoo' started last Wednesday (and is broadcasted every Wednesday) on ABC1.

Wild Life At the Zoo | Taronga Conservation Society Australia

The first episode featured part of the chimp move to the renovated exhibit, and so will next week. Interestingly, the zoo had a Code One (the most serious code) when the late Chimbuka awoke while on the medical table while being checked up on!

Last edited: 23 Apr 2012
  17. nrg800

nrg800 Well-Known Member

Code 1 =P

If you look back at the footage, Chimbuka grabs one of the nurse's arms. How terrifying would that be!?

18. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

When the Chimps first moved into the Chimp House back around 1980, the exact same thing happened - each chimp went to the VQC for a checkup first, and one of them started to wake up from the anaesthetic. He was physically restrained by one of the keepers long enough for the vet to give him another injection.

:p

Hix

19. Jabiru96

Taronga has announced that they are sending little penguins to two zoos overseas after a very good breeding season.

20. Jabiru96

Not officially released by Taronga but I have heard some info about the Pygmy hippos:

-Supposedly, Petra and Kambiri are the only Pygmy hippos left at Taronga after Timmy and Katie have died (not, official, but that would explain why Katie was not on display when I last visited).

-And finally, apparently Kambiri will not be going to Melbourne but rather Petra will be paired with Melbourne's Felix, while Taronga will source a new male for Kambiri at Taronga (probably Felix's brother from Cairns).