Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo Taronga news 2012

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Lyrebird, 9 Jan 2012.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

eyelash vipers bred at the zoo, a very cute photo on the link. The article doesn't say if the zoo has bred them before, but I assume someone on here will know.
    Blink and you'll miss Taronga Zoo's new eyelash vipers | thetelegraph.com.au

2. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Great news. The adults are always hard to see on exhibit and most people just walk passed thinking that there are none, but it is fun trying to spot them hiding.

3. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

I believe this is the first time.

:p

Hix

4. Jabiru96

The Himalayan thar will be moving around (not sure if they mean to different locations around the zoo or to other zoos) for one reason or another (maybe maintenance?).

5. Jabiru96

Five red tailed black cockatoos flew off after two white bellied sea eagles flew into the flock during the bird show. Luckily all have been recovered.

6. Lyrebird

Lyrebird Well-Known Member

Have the Orang-utans moved back into their exhibit yet?

7. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Wildlife at the Zoo will be shown in the UK on Animal Planet from this Sunday. 7pm GMT :)

8. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Its a great show. everything is shown. I believe its the most open any zoo has been. for example they talk about the still born Sumatran tiger cub, something most zoos would keep from the public.

9. Jabiru96

I wish they do have future seasons and more like the format of the Auckland show.

10. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Taronga have updated the map on their website (http://www.taronga.org.au/sites/default/files/tarongazoomap_july2012.pdf), and this shows that the centre of the zoo has been completely closed off, basically the area from the orangs to the floral clock, although the only animals that are off-display as a result are the cassowaries and ring-tailed lemurs. This is to allow for the construction of 'Lemur Forest Adventure', due to open in 2013.

11. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Looks like a large area devoted to a commonly held species.

:|

Hix

12. Jabiru96

I heard that they may try to include the Aldabran tortoises and some bird species with the lemurs in a closed roof exhibit.

13. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@Hix: Devoted or wasted?;)

BTW: If I have followed the debates about Australian import regulations correctly, it is possible to introduce primates (incl. lemurs), isn't it?
    If there is so much space in the new exhibit at Sydney, what about to import (new or more) lemurs for that exhibit (e.g. gentle lemurs)?

A really good new zoo map. I wish some European and North American zoos would follow that example instead of using kindergarten-style animal icons...

14. Jabiru96

Also, the lemur exhibit will only be as far as I know the old seal pools and nothing else, incorporating the existing structure.

15. zooboy28

Yea, I doubt they will be using the whole area. Would be good to see other species incorporated into a little Madagascan exhibit as well, maybe Taronga could acquire some Radiated Tortoises too?

I wouldn't think such an exhibit is a waste of space, although the addition of another lemur species would be better. The only possibility in the near future would be Black & White Ruffed Lemurs, as these are the only other managed lemur.

Does anyone know what type of enclosure will be built? Will it be islands in the seal pools, or an aviary style enclosure, or a walkthrough, or something else entirely?

16. zooboy28

Its not a new style of map, just an updated version. But it is a brilliant design, the interactive map here: Plan your visit to Taronga Zoo | Taronga Conservation Society Australia is great fun to play with when theres not much else happening.

17. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes. It will be a very popular exhibit i imagine. on a related note WPZ now has three ring tailed lemur islands and a brand new ringtailed lemur breeding complex has welcomed its first three residents, three italian boys.

18. Jabiru96

The enclosure will be netted over I think with it being split into two sections. One section will try to replicate a forest-type environment (trying to show the lemur's natural habitat) while the other section will be what the same forest looks like but with human intrusion (logging, pollution, etc) and a picnic area at the end. This is as far as I know.

19. zooboy28

That sounds quite good, clever concept.

20. Jabiru96

Taronga has done this style with the Tasmanian devil exhibit.