Join our zoo community

Taronga Western Plains Zoo Taronga Western Plains Zoo News 2022

Discussion in 'Australia' started by WhistlingKite24, 1 Feb 2022.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The other reproductive age cow at Dubbo (Kufara) is similarly related to all bulls at Dubbo (and Monarto), so Bakhita and Induna represents the region’s only unrelated pairing at this point in time.

The catalyst for the conundrum we’re in now was the death of Kwanzaa in 2020. He was unrelated to Bakhita and Kufara and therefore a viable breeding partner.

Imports would be ideal, but in the meantime, exchanging Induna at Monarto for one of Dubbo’s bull is the only way forward without resorting to inbreeding.

2. Swanson02

Swanson02 Well-Known Member

I think that is a great idea, re. sending Induna to TWPZ. I'll ask next time I'm at Monarto about that potential swap. I didn't hear anything last time but that's probably because I didn't ask. One reason I could see why the swap already hasn't occurred is that Monarto might be being stubborn and trying to reverse the direction of the swap, i.e. trying to get Bakhita transferred to join Induna at Monarto instead. I know Monarto is very eager to start breeding with their black rhinos so they could view this as an opportunity. Especially now they have upgraded their facilities for breeding.

Personally I would prefer Induna go to TWPZ as they have the experience in raising numerous black rhino calves.

3. Zoofan15

Loaning Bakhita to Monarto could actually be the best option given Induna is a relative of Kufara and therefore he wouldn’t be covering multiple bulls if he went to Dubbo.

It also make sense to give Monarto this opportunity with a female that’s well represented within the region and has produced several calves, meaning their lack of experience (and Induna’s) will be compensated by having an experienced cow as one half of the pairing; and no pressure if the pairing doesn’t pay off.

Like you say, Monarto have upgraded their facilities which they mentioned on their website with regards to breeding:

Black Rhinoceros can’t contain his excitement with new exhibit

Another feature of the new exhibit is a strengthened ‘meet and greet’ fence, which will allow interaction between males and females in the future. Fence contact between male and female black rhinos is important to breeding success allowing animals to get to know each other, show their receptivity to mating, courting and finally helping keepers to know when to introduce the pair.

4. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

5. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Welcome news if only we could manage a handful of imports in the future

6. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Great news!

Yet another grandchild of the well known Mutangi (via Mvita). This is also Nyah's first calf I believe - Nyah herself being the offspring of Ntombi, meaning she's also descended from Auckland stock.

akasha likes this.
  7. Zoofan15

Great news! Considering Nyah will be seven years old in January, I’ve been anticipating her first birth for a while now.

This calf is significant as it’s the first great great great grandchild of John, a bull giraffe imported from London Zoo in 1960. I’m of the understanding that the aim of a breeding programme is to achieve comparable representation of all founders and John is currently lagging behind with only a handful of descendants.

Hopefully Ntombi and her daughters, Nyah and Malaika, will make up for this at Dubbo; while Shingo will represent this line at Hunter Valley Zoo.

8. Zoofan15

steveroberts, Abbey, Tigergal and 5 others like this.
  9. Swanson02

Swanson02 Well-Known Member

10. Zorro

11. Zoofan15

It wouldn’t have been an accidental mating as the cows are only run with the bulls for breeding. Dubbo has four bulls:

1.0 Chikundo (Siabuwa x Pepe Kalle) 30/03/2000
    1.0 Mpzeni (Kwanzaa x Kalungwizi) 14/02/2005
    1.0 Dafari (unk x Bahkita) 20/04/2015
    1.0 Pampoen (Kwanzaa x Bahkita) 31/10/2017

Chikundo and Mpenzi are the logical choices as they’re half uncles to Kufara.

It’s possible to store rhino semen - though I’m not aware of Dubbo doing this.

steveroberts, Tigergal, Zorro and 2 others like this.
  12. Zoofan15

A female calf would be great.

This will be the 16th South-central black rhinoceros calf born at Dubbo; the first calf in two years; and Kufara’s first calf in six years.

There’s only been four females calves to date - in 2002, 2010, 2017 and 2021.

13. Zorro

Perhaps its time to try to import some new bloodlines via the IRF or other wise.

14. Zorro

I believe the German reproductive vets were there a couple of years back doing AI work with the Black Rhinos not sure of the out come to date.

15. Zoofan15

It’d be good to see an import - with the majority of the population being descendants of a very small founder base. The opportunity will surely be there following the Southern white rhinoceros import, for which dedicated infrastructure will be constructed.

Historically, the German team pioneered Dubbo’s IVF attempts with this species so it’s possible semen has been stored along the way for future use. They’re clearly willing to invest in reproductive technology to support the survival of this species.

16. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Two rhino calves are actually on the way! It was announced on the zoo’s TV program that female Mopani the Southern White Rhino is currently pregnant along with South-central Black Rhino Kufara. Fingers crossed this marks the beginning of rebuilding their white rhino group after some devastating female losses.

17. Zoofan15

Looks like Umfana sired one last calf before his departure! Mopani is the zoo’s only reproductively viable cow, but in a couple of years they’ll welcome a cohort of new imports from South Africa to boost their herd.

18. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

From socials, it appears a female Quokka joey has recently been born to mum, Wir.

This would be Wir's second joey this year; her first being a daughter named Murruwa who emerged from her pouch in March.

19. Zoofan15

The joey looks quite large. I’d assume she was born around March 2022 judging by her size and factoring in the 5-6 months spent in the pouch before emerging.

The previous offspring (Murruwa) was born born September 2021 and emerged March 2022.

Patrick Keegan and Zorro like this.
  20. Tigergal

Tigergal Well-Known Member

Taronga Western Plains Zoo has announced via Instagram the birth of an Addax calf

akasha, Antoine, Swanson02 and 2 others like this.