Join our zoo community

Taronga Western Plains Zoo Taronga Western Plains Zoo News 2022

Discussion in 'Australia' started by WhistlingKite24, 1 Feb 2022.

1. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wonderful news to see Dubbo still successfully breeding this species; especially with Werribee phasing them out.

Swanson02 and Tigergal like this.
  2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Orana Wildlife Park has bred several calves in recent years. With Altina, Darling Downs and Monarto also holding this species, I’m confident they have a secure future in the region.

Swanson02, Patrick Keegan and Zorro like this.
  3. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I can't see any gain for Werribee phasing out Addax, They don't really hold a big range of large savanna species anyway for a large open range zoo.

Patrick Keegan and Zoofan15 like this.
  4. Zoofan15

It doesn’t make much sense. Since they’re retaining Scimitar-horned oryx, it’s a reverse of Orana who phased out that species in favour of Addax. They’re both critically endangered and both facilities have the room to hold both, so the reasoning isn’t really there.

When Werribee made the decision to phase out Addax, it may have been due to a perceived lack of regional support for this species - a situation which has since changed; combined with suitability within a mixed species setting. Intact males can be aggressive to exhibit mates.

Swanson02, Patrick Keegan and Zorro like this.
  5. Zorro

I guess that's the beauty of having them in an open range zoo having holding years to mix and match animals on display which many city zoos can not match. No excuse.

6. Zoofan15

Article on the zoo’s conservation work with Regent honeyeater:

Save the song, save the species: Rescuing the sound of the Aussie bush

Taronga Zoo has revolutionised the way it raises the critically endangered birds, based on research that shows zoo-bred males sing differently from their wild counterparts, potentially slashing their chances to survive and breed.

Taronga has bred 600 Regent honeyeaters since their conservation program began in 2000.

Full article in link.

Haliaeetus, Zorro and Patrick Keegan like this.
  7. Zoofan15

8. Zorro

9. Jambo

Unless you’re subscribed which I am not, but hopefully someone on here is?

10. Zoofan15

Unfortunately it’s stuck behind a pay-wall. I posted it in the hope one of our Australian members may have access to paraphrase it for us; but if not - I’m sure other media outlets will post soon.

A trailer details a two-storey cafe, restaurant and function centre; as well as 20 eco-cabins; so I’d assume all that adjacent to a mixed species savannah exhibit (Serengeti). It may well involve the rhino imported via the Australian Rhino Project.

Patrick Keegan and Zorro like this.
  11. Zorro

Oh you had me excited for a minute thinking they were going to expand the savanna from the current 50 acres back to the original plan of 500 acres. :D

12. Zoofan15

Apologies! Doesn’t sound like it’ll be anything too major as only $20 million been allocated for this project, with a lot of visitor infrastructure confirmed - but expansion is always welcome.

Construction has yet to begin on additional housing for the incoming rhino, which makes me think they’ll feature. It’ll need to be something the visitors can easily see from a distance and we can rule out Asian elephants (who don’t fit the Serengeti theme) and lions (which recently moved into a new exhibit).

Patrick Keegan and Zorro like this.
  13. Zoofan15

Here we go: Inside the $30 million bid to create Australia's Serengeti

The development is heading into the tendering stages with construction due to start late next year and be finished by the middle of 2025.

When finished it will be five times bigger than the Taronga Savanna, which is currently the zoo's largest exhibit.

The centrepiece will be an enormous billabong surrounded by giraffe, rhino, zebra, and other African species, with a separate billabong for people to swim in.

14. Zorro

Ok so I take it the expansion area of 55 hectares includes an expanded area of the savanna (area?) also new cabins car parks as well?

15. Jambo

Five times bigger than Taronga's Savannah:confused: That's not that big.

Also, a billabong to swim in for visitors is a very intruiging and unique idea. Can't wait to see how that'll play out.

16. Zoofan15

I believe the reference to “Taronga’s Savannah” in the article is referencing the exhibit at Dubbo - as the expansion is 55ha and something that’s five times the size of Taronga’s Savannah would take up a very small percentage of 55ha. From the artist’s conception in the link, we can see it’s an immense integrated Savannah - which will be the focal point of this development.

With Werribee and Monarto planning large impressive developments, Dubbo are clearly hoping to compete with this exhibit - which can accomodate large herds of giraffe, rhinos, zebra etc. Perhaps even some antelope imports.

In answer to your question @Zorro, the 55ha will also include a function centre, eco-cabins, cafe, restaurant and billabong for visitors to swim in (the Savannah will also have a billabong). No mention of parking as will be inside the zoo grounds.

Patrick Keegan, Swanson02 and Zorro like this.
  17. Zorro

I believe this is a reaction to what’s happening at Monarto as TWPZ once stated they were the premier open range zoo in the country and now find themselves somewhat falling behind

18. Zoofan15

I would assume so. Werribee has behind Dubbo for many years - but their elephant complex will be one of the best in the world; and Monarto are leaving Dubbo for dust with their plans.

I’ll be honest, a large integrated Savannah isn’t the most exciting concept in the world as it’ll only be possible to include a small number of ungulates. I’d rather see the space divided into multiple exhibits and see antelope species imported etc. to create something less dramatically individually - but more impressive as a whole.

Patrick Keegan, Swanson02 and Zorro like this.
  19. Zorro

Correct but I am assuming they will move the Indian blackbuck over to the new African savanna instead of importing ;)

20. Zoofan15

Indian antelope - the staple of the African Savannah.

Though they don’t fit the Serengeti theme, I’d love to see Eastern bongo and Hamadryas baboon allocated large exhibits on this scale. Imagine how impressive a herd of 50 Eastern bongo or 500 Hamadryas baboons would look.