Join our zoo community

Taronga Western Plains Zoo Taronga Western Plains Zoo with 3 year old twins!

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Grant Rhino, 11 Jun 2013.

1. Grant Rhino

Grant Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hi everyone

Im thinking about taking my 3 year old twins to Taronga WPZ this July and Id like some logistical advice. Im from Melbourne and have never been to Dubbo before.

The plan is to drive up early in the morning (about 6 hours from Melbourne apparently), go to the zoo in the afternoon, stay a night then spend the whole next day at the zoo, stay a second night and then drive home the next morning.

Some questions:

1. Is the zoo best seen on foot or in a car? Ive heard people argue both sides of this? Ive also heard that its about 6km of walking so Id need the pusher for the kids in that case - is this correct? Does the zoo hire out pushers?

2. Can anyone recommend any child-friendly accomodation options? I will be the only adult with the 2 kids, so Id need something pretty secure where they cant run off (either a motel or a caravan or cabin in a caravan park) - preferably something with its own bathroom. Something not expensive would also be good.

3. How big is Dubbo? (pardon my ignorance here) Im assuming its a pretty big place and has all the usual supermarkets, cafes, fish n chip shops etc? Are things there open at night or do they close early? What time do supermarkets shut there? Any "must go" places to eat? How is the food at the zoo?

4. Are there any other kid-friendly activities not to miss in Dubbo?

5. Are there any specific kid based programs offered by the zoo itself (get a photo with the rhino etc type stuff)?

Cheers, Grant

2. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I don't think you would be able to drive from Melbourne to Dubbo in 6 hours, according to google maps its 825 km, and takes ~9 hours, but I'm guessing it will take a fair bit longer than that with two kids.

I'd say the best way to get around the zoo for me would be on foot, but perhaps not for you with two kids. Driving is probably a better idea, although you can also hire bikes with attachments (I'm not sure if these can carry two kids - you'd have to ask the zoo).

I'm not at all suire about the other questions, but check out their website, it looks like its got heaps of links for accomodation and other activities in Dubbo.

3. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Grant,

Zooboy is correct in the travelling time, although I'd allow a minimum of 10 hours to get there (I do Melbourne to Sydney in 8hrs, and Sydney to Dubbo in 5hrs).

Getting around the zoo - with 3yr old twins do NOT walk or even attempt a to push a stroller. Don't think about a bicycle either. What most people do is drive around the zoo - they drive to an exhibit, stop in a parking bay and get out to get a better look at the animals, or walk a short distance to an enclosure that is set back from the road, then return to their car and drive a little further. Or, you can rent a golfbuggy and do the same - the benefits being it has no doors so it's easy to jump in and out at exhibits. Although, maybe with three year olds easiness of jumping in and out might not be a good thing, unless the kids are well behaved.

Places to stay - Dubbo is a town of 50,000 + people, and there are literally dozens of places to stay, from backpackers to expensive corporate hotels that don't even permit kids. Cobra Street (aka Mitchell highway) has about a dozen motels along it's length and is close to all amenities. Having said that, I don't think there are any all-night places (but I could be wrong).

One other accommodation option is the Zoo itself - either Zoofari Lodge or Billabong Camp (the new Roar and Snore). Zoofari Lodge has its own website with pricing - it is a bit expensive but you get a wonderful experience.

I can thoroughly recommend Zoofari Lodge having stayed there last year. You would need to drive up to Dubbo on day one and stay in a Motel, the second day have a drive around Dubbo and see anything else that might be of interest to you, then rock up at the zoo. If you are staying at the Lodge you get two days Zoo admission free, so drive around the zoo and get familiar with the layout and size. At 1:00pm you can check into the lodge, and then they take you on a behind-the-scenes tour. After dinner there's a another tour in the dark, and a third tour the following morning before the zoo opens. And after breakfast you can spend the day in the zoo once again.

I haven't been to Billabong Camp but I imagine it's similar, just a scaled down version.

Hope this helps.

:p

Hix

4. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Unfortunately your kids will be too young for Billabong camp and it sits on the edge of a large water body anyway, probably not best for your little kids. Just remember July is school holidays so the zoo and town may be busier than usual. You can hire a bike with a trailer that should fit both kids but it can get very cold.

Plenty of supermarkets and usually plenty of accommodation options.

The kids can hand feed a giraffe and this costs $5 per person but it is done on a first in basis and only between 50 and 100 tickets are sold a day, depending on holidays etc. I can't remember the age limit but the kids may be able to feed the giraffe for free as long as you pay.
    There is old Dubbo Gaol but it would probably be a bit scary for little kids.