Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo Taronga Zoo 10 Year Development Plan

Discussion in 'Australia' started by zooboy28, 14 Mar 2015.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Today, Taronga Zoo announced a 10 year, almost $115 million, development programme., including a range of new exhibits.

Details here: https://taronga.org.au/about-us/development-program

2. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Wow you beat me again!!!!!!! :D

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

"...explore iconic and unknown Australian fauna"? How exactly are they going to be displaying unknown animals??

4. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Bunyips and Dropbears. Probably another multimedia experience.

:p

Hix

5. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The two zoos have some key similarities in the 10-year plan:

Taronga Zoo: tigers, wildlife hospital, African savannah, elephants, new primate exhibits (gorillas & orangutans).

TWPZ: tigers, wildlife hospital, African savannah, elephants, new primate exhibits (siamangs & unspecified species).

Hot on the heels of the Adelaide/Monarto Master Plan, the Taronga attractions seem geared to take the next major step in their development. When does the next Master Plan for Zoos Victoria get released?:)

6. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is not a 'master plan' really. It's an election stunt by the NSW Government, which is carrying some toxically unpopular policies into the election and is hoping that zoo animals will get them out of trouble.

I'm actually a little disappointed in Taronga playing along with it.

7. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Well-Known Member

Yes, this is all a little cobbled together, isn't it? Especially compared to the Adelaide/Monarto plan, it's notable that neither zoo has any new species listed, and (sigh) no aviaries either, although I'm sure existing aviaries will be knocked down to make room for some of this stuff ("multimedia experience"? Ugh).

8. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They'll be probably just crank out crocodiles, cassowary, koala and bilby, however they might go for something more original.

Not many people outside of Australia have heard of 'Irwin's Turtle,' a species of turtle discovered by the late Steve Irwin, first seen by him in the 80s and offcially identified as a previously unknown species in the the 90s. It has a pink nose. Here is a picture:

http://40.media.tumblr.com/c9772388503960716bf9f2e3170e3c09/tumblr_nhcm1cUcVz1s6pixdo2_500.jpg

Somebody more educated on Australian fauna than myself could probably name a similar and more recent discovery from the last couple of years.

Alternatively, unknown could refer to elusive species, usually unseen to the public eye (like kiwi in New Zealand).

Or maybe as some have suggested, we have a cracking multimedia display coming our way, possibly of extinct Australian fauna. Hey kids, are you bigger than a Tasmanian Tiger? Touch the screen to see areas that used to be covered in forest! Kick grandpa to get him to tell you what the country was like in his day. :p

9. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

I am always happy to see the zoos planning new and great things for the future. However I also think that they need to spend money to keep existing but good exhibits going. Last time I was at Taronga, the Wollemi Pines and the wild asia were both looking tired and their original functions seemed to have been overtaken by short term needs. Both should still be great exhibits, if only they maintained them with the original ideas in mind.

10. tdierikx

tdierikx Well-Known Member

I would think it wouldn't be easy to do such major renovations and moves whilst still staying open to the public.

There are going to be a lot of people who will not be happy about not being able to see big cats for however long it takes to build the new exhibits - current plan is 2 years for the Sumatran exhibit alone.

Personally, I'm excited about the new proposals...Zoos nowadays are expected to push the conservation line very hard... and if Taronga can come up with a way to pass on the message to more people, good for them.

T.

11. Osprey71

Osprey71 Well-Known Member

The photo is of a Pig Nosed turtle. It is very cute. The pig-nosed turtle, also known as the pitted-shelled turtle or Fly River turtle, is a species of turtle native to northern Australia and southern New Guinea.

12. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

which photo? The one in post #8? That is an Irwin's turtle.

13. Jabiru96

For members lf both Taronga and TWPZ, in the Winter edition of the Wild Life member magazine there is a concept map of the new proposed Australia zone on page 21. The only specific species that can be worked out according to this planned concept are emu, mallee fowl, echidna, platypus and yellow footed rock wallaby. Looks like there will be a large walkthrough wetlands aviary, a couple of walkthrough macropod exhibits and an Aboriginal bush food/story telling area. Sort of hard to describe considering half of the plan is cut-off on the page. :D

14. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Where abouts in the zoo to they plan to put it?

15. Jabiru96

According to that concept plan it will be exactly where the current Australian section is (including the wetland birds, macropod walkthrough and platypus house).

16. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ok thanks. So I guess the walk thru wetlands avairy will just be a mesh cage over the already established ponds with some kingfishers added. ;)

17. Jabiru96

Looks to be precisely that. :D

18. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Well-Known Member

Given the minor miracle of anything at all for birds in this plan, I'll take it. :)

19. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Meshing over the ponds would also allow for non-pinioned birds to be exhibited there, which would be another plus.

20. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

More importantly, meshing it over will stop the ibises and other wild birds from stealing all the zoo birds food.