Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo Taronga Zoo 10 Year Development Plan

Discussion in 'Australia' started by zooboy28, 14 Mar 2015.

1. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

2. Jabiru96

3. elephantsmind

elephantsmind New Member

Zambi Wildlife Retreat now a Taronga Wildlife Retreat?
    What's next....? lol

4. Jabiru96

5. tdierikx

tdierikx Well-Known Member

Our TAFE Cert 3 Captives class recently did an assignment regarding the costs to feed a slew of animals... my assignment included 4 giraffes (among others), and it worked out that just to feed 4 giraffes for 1 year would cost $35k!!

Factor in a few elephants, some big cats (fresh meat ain't cheap!), and countless smaller animals, reptiles, and birds of varying descriptions, and the feed bill alone is astronomical...

Then there are groundkeeping, general maintenance, upgrades, staff salaries, etc... the list really is endless... just to keep the zoo running on a daily basis is gonna cost big.

When you look at all of those costs, the entry price really isn't all that steep... and more luck to them if they can tap into the higher paying customers for extra experiences I say!

T.

StoppableSan likes this.
  6. Jabiru96

Playing devil's advocate, but it isn't really in the interest of the consumer how much it takes to feed the animals and maintenance and staff wages and all the other aspects of running a zoo when it costs nearly an arm and a leg for not only entry, but in addition petrol (if driving)/public transport, food, parking and all the other aspects of actually partaking in the zoo experience (if you know what I mean.....). I think that an equilibrium must be meet between cost of redevelopment and meeting the wants/needs of the paying customer, especially with the 'threat' of the upcoming Blacktown zoo looming in the horizon that might possibly draw away those from western Sydney (because let me tell you, being from Blacktown myself Taronga isn't the cheapest or most accessible zoo to visit from a working class area).

7. Jabiru96

The local council is opposing the plans:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...d/news-story/68825ad3c4896b309f1614b636647a17

8. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. leone

leone Well-Known Member 5+ year member

news on phase 1 habitat Australia ?

10. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

One can only imagine what new animals and bloodlines could be imported into the region with the many Millions being spent on this Hotel and cimema many would know Taronga has been phasing out species for some time to bad they are so worried by the animal rights lobby!

Zoofan15 likes this.
  11. leone

Hello, when will the australia exhibit open? in the project says 2018, but on the map it does not bring anything.

12. Patrick Keegan

Patrick Keegan Well-Known Member

According to a recent podcast released by Taronga Zoo with the Zoo's CEO the African Savannah Precint is ready for opening. The lions are mentioned to be arriving "a little bit later on"

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  13. leone

and are there projects in pdf on phase 2 habitat Australia wildlife ?

14. ReaganM

ReaganM Member

Taronga seems to have updated this list to remove any mention of Orang-utans. The new list only mentions a "new primate exhibit". Does anyone have any information regarding the possible future of Orangutang at Taronga. I would personally love to see this species return.

New List:
    Building a Better Zoo

Jambo, marmolady and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  15. Riley

Riley Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It does mention it will display a he role of great apes in their ecosystems, and given that gorillas will be part of the Congo development and they won’t be moving chimps anytime soon, I’d say orangutans are still on the list, possibly with other primate species.

StoppableSan, Jambo and ReaganM like this.
  16. ReaganM

ReaganM Member

leone and StoppableSan like this.
  17. Dhole dude

Dhole dude Well-Known Member

The plan for the upper Australia precinct doesn’t show wombats. will they be phased out or move to a new area in the zoo?

18. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

There are Southern Hairy-nosed Wombats in the Backyard to Bush area of the zoo (which isn’t shown on the plans and is located a bit further on). Common Wombat is also displayed right outside the Platypus House but I’m not sure what will happen to that species at the zoo when the building is demolished.

StoppableSan likes this.
  19. ReaganM

ReaganM Member

The platypus have been relocated to the pool out the front of the Wildlife Retreat and the pools at the start of the Blue Mountains Bushwalk.

As for the wombats, potentially there could be an exhibit in the redeveloped night house? There is no details in the plans on what will be exhibited, however there is one large exhibit in the centre of the house, that could maybe hold wombat.

Jungle Man and StoppableSan like this.