Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo Taronga Zoo 2014

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Jabiru96, 10 Jan 2014.

1. Osprey71

Osprey71 Well-Known Member

There is a chance that the gorilla enclosure will be renovated again. As for the Orangutan enclosure. It would make a great viewing are for new animals that have come into to the zoo. So they can get used to the public. There are a lot of changes at Taronga Zoo animal and enclosure. Hopefully it will great when finished.

2. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member

3. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Tambo comes of age | Taronga

The article mentions that Taronga is home to three bongo (specifically mentioning Djembe and her son Tambo). Does anyone know what happened to the other three? I'm assuming Ekundu is still their? Does this mean that Kiazi was sent elsewhere (I heard that they were preparing to move her) or that Nambala has died (she was not a young animal by any means)? Thanks :)

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member

I cannot answer some of your other questions, however I can confirm that Nambala was an old individual. She was born in 1995 in San Diego Zoo. So, she really was at a ripe old age anyway. She actually passed away on July 17, 2012.

In terms of population, the eastern bongo population in the ZAA region was 5.3 (* Melbourne calf being male):
    Sydney-Taronga: 1.2 (including calf Kiazi born April 2, 2012)
    Dubbo: 1.0
    Monarto: 1.0
    Melbourne: 1.1.1 (I suppose the calf named Isaac born January, 20, 2012 was actually a male)

So, now it is female Kiazi gone to another collection within Australia. Not too many choices there!!!

5. Jabiru96

Thanks! Didn't realise that Nambala died way back in 2012 (there was no press release)! Ekundu also appears to still be there going by this info from a regular visitor: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/15651532427/

Notable things from the above (not mentioned previously here):
    -0.1 red panda has arrived from New Zealand
    -all of the male meerkats have died
    -supposedly Satu the male Sumatran tiger has left
    -supposedly, along with snow leopard, lion will leave the collection when the new tiger exhibit is built

Last edited: 23 Nov 2014
  6. Kifaru Bwana

Ekundu (aka Barry) is the other half of the current breeding pair.

Incidentally, female Djembe (b. 2008) and male Ekundu (b. 2005) are half-siblings sharing the same sire and both born at Dubbo-WPZ.

7. Jabiru96

Isn't Nambala also the aunty of Ekundu (making Ekundu and Djembe cousins)?

8. Kifaru Bwana

I will check out tonight ...

9. Sunbear12

Sunbear12 Well-Known Member

As discussed in this thread- http://www.zoochat.com/24/altinas-animals-247412/ Altina was also housing a male bongo mid-way through this year. Not sure if he is still there.

10. Jabiru96

Just going back to the above info I mentioned it is sad to think that Taronga is going out of lion and snow leopard just to accommodate one species (Sumatran tiger). Also, Berani the Malayan tapir might be on his last legs if it is true :(. At least the fennec foxes are staying (I think they are going to be moved to an enclosure in the 'African Waterhole' previously home to Katie the pygmy hippo, albeit certainly modified). To think in the span of a few years Taronga will have lost Kodiak bear, lion, snow leopard, dhole (potentially), Malayan tapir (potentially), leopard seal, orang-utan and Brazilian tapir somewhat saddens me....

11. Kifaru Bwana

For all good purposes: I still believe the Malayan tapir is missed opportunity for the Australasian region.

If only, ZAA zoos would invest in state of the art shaded/forested outdoor / indoor tropical exhibits for them. The whole "eye" issues would be complete history. Aside, coupled with some other S.E. Asian species - as the ZAA region is close to the S.E. Asian mainland / islands ..., it would create both ex situ and in situ benefits (and better contacts to the region too). On top, orangs, binturongs, silvery gibbons ..., small-clawed otters and perhaps a few other species (like dusky and Francois langurs, clouded leopard, small Asiatic felines) it would / could be a major draw.

Thinks also of the immediate resonance among the Aussie/Kiwi public with tourism to S.E. Asian and hubs like Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and Bali major draw cards ...

12. Jabiru96

The only thing with Malayan tapirs is that as the sunlight is too strong, and thus the important requirement of extensive shad for their wellbeing here, they will be limited to only the city zoos practically. The open range zoos cannot afford to plant/shade such large areas, and for the growing smaller zoos (Mogo, Altina, Canberra, Hall's Gap, Darling Downs, etc), the costs are too high (in addition, as they are mostly in more rural areas, it is also highly impractical). This means that only Perth/Adelaide/Melbourne/Taronga and possibly Rockhampton can successfully meet all these demands, and in turn Malayans will be limited to a handful of collections. Better than nothing, but these challenges limit the species from spreading within Aus.

13. Jabiru96

14. skippy

skippy Member

In terms of population, the eastern bongo population in the ZAA region was 5.3 (* Melbourne calf being male):
    Sydney-Taronga: 1.2 (including calf Kiazi born April 2, 2012)
    Dubbo: 1.0
    Monarto: 1.0
    Melbourne: 1.1.1 (I suppose the calf named Isaac born January, 20, 2012 was actually a male)

So, now it is female Kiazi gone to another collection within Australia. Not too many choices there!!![/QUOTE]

Melbourne only has 1 bongo. The young male went to Altina earlier this year, as noted on the Altina thread, and apparently the female died a few months ago.

15. vogelcommando

Yellow-bellied glider born at Taronga :)

16. Jabiru96

17. vogelcommando

18. Jabiru96

19. zooboy28

zooboy28 Moderator Staff Member

Has the rope climbing thing taken any exhibits away? I think the walkthrough kangaroo exhibit has been blocked off for construction (and the wetland birds?), but will this all re-open fully?

20. Jabiru96

Haven't been for while, but the construction did indeed block off the native walkthrough and access to the wetland birds boardwalk. Not sure if any exhibits have been removed.