Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo Taronga Zoo News 2013

Discussion in 'Australia' started by zooboy28, 30 Jan 2013.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Scratch that, I see you edited your reply! :D

2. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

EDIT: Just reported in the news. It appears that they have kept the hotwire in the moat and have drained it considerably, so the only real barrier to stop the gorillas from jumping over is tall hotwire.

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Does that mean the Gorillas can get down into the moat, as extra space?:confused:

I wish they would fill in the moat area completely and devise a new confining barrier on the public side- glass? This would greatly enlarge the area available to the Gorillas.

4. Jabiru96

I think they can partially enter the shallow area of the moat now.

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

6. Jabiru96

Yes, that is right. Kibali is a bit more closer to Mbeli than Johari who is still slightly wary of him. Mbeli is very fond of Kibali, even sleeping right next to him and always sitting very close to him.

In addition, from photos I have seen, they appear to be using all of the exhibit including the cave at the far left, which is completely opposite to what Kibabu's group did.

Last edited: 22 Nov 2013
  7. Jabiru96

It also appears that I was wrong with the moat being emptied. The moat has now been filled up once again with water but there is now hotwire running through the middle of it. From reports, Frala will also be introduced once Kibali, Mbeli and Johari are more settled.

8. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Many times one female becomes the male's favourite and No 1 wife- in this case it seems Mbeli has the role. Its likely to stay that way longterm. Will also be interesting to see how Frala fits in(or not;)) when they get to that part.

9. Jabiru96

You can see their closeness here (and other photos): [ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/55369298@N00/10685749675/"]Kibali and Mbeli | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

10. Jabiru96

Turns out Koko the chimpanzee is not pregnant (as reported on the TV show Wildlife at the Zoo). She did not have a stillbirth so the pregnancy test must have been wrong (as could be the case when you are using a human pregnancy test on a chimp!).

11. Jabiru96

12. Jabiru96

An Andean condor egg is being incubated.

13. Jabiru96

14. zooboy28

@Jabiru96, and potentially anyone else who knows: Are the long-beaked Echidnas currently on display?

15. Jabiru96

Yes they are in the same exhibit with a Rufous owl. However, the owl is more visible than the echidnas most of the time. Also, I believe only the male echidna is on display.

16. zooboy28

Yay! Finger-crossed I get to see them/it on my visit in a couple of weeks! :D

17. Jabiru96

You will probably then be there for the opening of Lemur Forest Adventure!

18. zooboy28

Hopefully, is there a definite opening date yet? I can only find mid-December, which is essentially this weekend, but surely they would have announced this on Facebook if it was the case. .

19. Jabiru96

I am not sure. Judging by photos, it is practically finished so the opening should be very soon.

EDIT: I just read the "Wild Life" magazine (for zoo members). It had some more details of Lemur Forest Adventure:

4.0 ringtail lemurs came from Auckland who were born there (Andriba, Soalata, Andre, Makili)
    4.0 came from Hong Kong originally but came to Taronga from Dubbo (Julian, Casper, Maki, Bamboo)

There will be three zones:

1. trail which will take visitors through dense 'forest', which will have 10 'discovery poles' in it clustered into four geographical zones (Australia, South America, Madagascar, South-east Asia) which have details on the forests in these zones. There will also be 'promise trees' which convey conservation messages on environmental topics (e.g. recycling, saving energy, etc.) by introducing a cartoon ambassador called Harry.

2. visitors will then move to the 'Observation Outpost'=pretty much a playground.

3. finally will be the lemur walk through which "replicates typical Southern Madagascan habitat, with spiny scrub in a beautiful stone setting".

More importantly, the lemurs will be on view shortly (it says December), however, the walk through will not be open until April 2014. All in all, judging by the theme around it, I don't think it will be a great exhibit, especially since 2/3 of it is not even an animal exhibit., but I will need to see it in my own eyes before passing judgement.

Last edited: 11 Dec 2013
  20. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

one of the best animals on display in Australia! A brilliant species! Good luck. The Taronga nocturnal house is very good indeed.

Oh, you should try for a three-monotreme day with the short-beaked echidnas and platypus too (the latter in two places in the zoo) -- nowhere else in the whole world can you do that. Unbelievably when I was there I could not find those latter two species so had to settle for "just" the long-beaked echidna!