Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo Taronga Zoo News 2015

Discussion in 'Australia' started by tdierikx, 2 Jan 2015.

1. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

2. Jabiru96

Last edited: 21 Aug 2015
  3. tdierikx

tdierikx Well-Known Member

They have been there for the past few weeks already... not the easiest to get good photos of either... must work on that. If they have babies, they are the cutest things ever!

T.

4. cmrButton5

cmrButton5 Well-Known Member

With the splitting of the elephant herd, does anyone know anything about future breeding plans?

5. tdierikx

Gung is still getting visits from the 2 remaining females in Sydney...

Fingers crossed!

T.

6. Jabiru96

7. Jabiru96

8. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Missed this; it is indeed sad news but not unexpected..... but I'm still a bit sore about the fact London got rid of the taxon in 1994 with the justification they were so old they would probably die soon anyhow, considering how long they have lasted since then! :p

As the final male is off-display at present, and pretty geriatric himself, I doubt I shall ever see this taxon even if I do reach Taronga someday.

9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

is he off-display? They seem to have taken them on and off so often over the last few years I have not kept track.

10. Jabiru96

On my last visit he was off-display, with short-beaked echidna (and the single rufous owl) occupating his exhibit. Will check on my next visit hopefully next week.

Last edited: 5 Sep 2015
  11. Jabiru96

12. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Melbourne Zoo has a nice display of these species in its Wild Seas exhibit (probably the best individual enclosure there IMHO), which allows people to pet them if they wish. It is extremely popular, and a permanent exhibit of this species at Taronga, in their Seal Cove display would be a great addition.

13. Jabiru96

The exhibit is occupied by short-beaked echidna solely now (rufous owl no longer on display either).

Other updates from my visit today:
    -only one juvenile komodo dragon on display (the second exhibit is now occupied by taipan)
    -green iguana now in two exhibits,both in their original exhibit as well as the exhibit formerly occupied by boa constrictor (between the basilisk and green tree python/green tree frogs)
    -the main path leading past the lions, tigers, etc. is now open (construction of the new tiger exhibit hasn't really progressed that much)
    -the meerkats (2.2) are scheduled to move into a re-modeled Brazilian tapir enclosure in African Waterhole next Monday according to a volunteer (peeking of some construction fencing it looks like glass panels are being added to the front)
    -the same volunteer also told me that the lions will move to Hunter Valley Zoo (although I overheard another volunteer say Dubbo.....)
    -fishing cat "temporarily off-display"
    -half of Creatures of the Wollemi was closed off for maintenance
    -Patrick the Victoria crowned pigeon moved into the Moore Park aviary two weeks ago

14. Jabiru96

According to the "WildLife" members magazine, the lions will indeed be moving to Hunter Valley Zoo, while the tigers will move to Taronga Western Plains Zoo during construction of their exhibit. All three (Jumilah and her son and daughter Kembali and Kartika) will then move back to Taronga in 2016, and a new breeding male introduced.

15. Jabiru96

16. Jabiru96

"Our Sumatran Tigers are preparing to move to their temporary new home at Taronga Western Plains Zoo, as we begin an exciting redevelopment of our big cat exhibits! Come and say “bye for now” to Jumilah, Kembali and Kartika this weekend and stay tuned for updates on how they’re going in Dubbo."

17. tdierikx

Still no definite word on when the lions are leaving? Rumour has it that they are supposed to be going to Hunter Valley...

T.

18. Jabiru96

The article below states that the lions will be leaving "soon" for Hunter Valley Zoo and will not return. When the new African precinct is constructed, Taronga will then receive new lions.

https://taronga.org.au/news/2015-10-19/qa-tigers-moving-temporary-home-dubbo

19. tdierikx

Bruiser (Jambo) is 15, Kuchani is 14/15, and Asali is 9/10 years old... it was never a possibility that any of them would return to Taronga. They will retire to the beautiful Hunter Valley and live out the rest of their lives in comfort methinks... *grin*

* Note to self: Need to visit Hunter Valley Zoo soon! *

T.

20. Jabiru96