Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo Taronga Zoo news 2016

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Jabiru96, 4 Jan 2016.

1. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

did she really say that, one wonders?

3. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Possibly. But journos often screw things up, too. It could be a misquote. She may have said "there's over 4000 animals here at the zoo", and the journo changed it.

:p

Hix

4. Jabiru96

A green sea turtle is temporarily on display before being released later this month:

5. Jabiru96

6. Jabiru96

Male komodo dragon Naga (imported from Los Angeles in 2014) is now on display in front of the reptile house (after the exhibit was vacated with the death of old male Tuka in 2015).

7. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Perhaps the zoo's website could be renovated to include a special section on their new chimpanzee. Givskud Zoo's Facebook page advised they arrived at Taronga Zoo in November 2015, and following a one month quarantine, should be on display. Looking at Taronga's website, you wouldn't even know they'd arrived. And then there's the rumours of additional chimpanzee? :confused:

8. Jabiru96

Two meerkat pups have been born to mother Nairobi, sired by Maputo. These are the first meerkats born at the zoo since 2009 (of which Nairobi was one of them).

9. tdierikx

tdierikx Well-Known Member

With regards to the Chimpanzees, there are a total of 5 new females here/coming... they will be housed in the Orangutan exhibit initially to acclimatise, and eventually all 5 will be introduced to the current troop...

That's the plan at the moment anyways...

T.

10. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Where are they coming from? Are these pure West Africans or generic?

11. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Will be there, hopefully, an Anniversary book and or a new Guidebook to Tarongas Birthday?

12. Jabiru96

Two came from Givskud Zoo (Denmark), while I have been told that another came from "Sweden" (in regards to the remaining two, I have no clue). I believe none of them are pure sub-specific chimps (although I could be wrong).

13. Hix

Considering how marketing focussed the zoo is nowadays I would be very greatly surprised if they didn't. They might even do two or three.

Hix

14. Hix

There would be no point in bringing in pure subspecies, as all the males in Australia are cocktails.

Hix

15. Zoofan15

That'll make for a big troop. Any news on if any are leaving?

16. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No reason not to burn all ye bridges and start all over!

BTW: is it clear where the hybrid chimps will originate from?

17. Zoofan15

I think the region have concluded that a chimp is a chimp and that is enough (in the same way the giraffe in our region are all generic hybrids with a few inbred exceptions). This is not a criticism of Taronga or the studbook coordinator, rather a statement of how the region choose to curate their chimpanzee.

In addition, their is a group of 20+ chimpanzee in the current troop, imagine the logistics of starting over with purebreds. Could have been feasible at Monarto if they had started their group with purebreds.

As for where they will originate from, short answer no. Taronga Zoo are being typically cloak and dagger about the whole affair. As mentioned in the post, the only two confirmed at Ceres (1990) and Naomi (2001) from Givskud Zoo, and a rumour of another chimpanzee from Sweden. No news on the other two.

18. tdierikx

tdierikx Well-Known Member

Not on the cards at the time I enquired...

Scares me a little thinking about how they are going to do this successfully...

T.

19. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hearing Zoofan15, I would say all chimps will come from European stocks of hybrid chimpanzees.

20. Zoofan15

The USA is also a possibility but I'd say Europe is a more likely source for the other two.

A thread on orang-utans in the New Zealand forums recently discussed how Auckland Zoo was sent Bornean Orangutan from European Zoos looking to move into purebred Sumatran Orangutan breeding programmes. History is now repeating itself with Auckland sending it's Borneans to another region (USA).

It's interesting to see a similar pattern with the chimpanzee. Europe are sending us their hybrids to focus on their purebred sub species. Will we follow suit in the next couple of decades? Probably not anytime soon.

It'd be interesting to know the genetic makeup of Taronga's troop. Some females are quite large (Shiba and Kuma) and probably have more genes from the Central Chimpanzee subspecies than smaller females (Sacha).