Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo Taronga Zoo news 2016

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Jabiru96, 4 Jan 2016.

1. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

2. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. Jabiru96

This article confirms that it is indeed Nupela that is being sent to Singapore: Singapore Zoo's new orphan tree kangaroo in 'excellent shape', public viewing from August, Singapore News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

4. Jabiru96

Had one last visit today (15/7) before the uni semester begins again:

-Mary the sun bear was on display in the exhibit across from the meerkats (where in the past Satu the male Sumatran tiger was kept), while Mr Hobbs was on display in their 'regular' exhibit. This is because (according to a keeper), Mary is experiencing a pseudo-pregnancy and so is acting aggressive to Mr Hobbs, so in the meantime they are rotating exhibits.

-Patrick the Victoria crowned pigeon was not on display at all

-Port Jackson shark are again back on display in the bottom seal pool

-supervised access to the platform above the Asian elephant exhibit is being allow to the public

-a "cat-struction zone" hands-on activity thing for kids is in the undercover area next to the toilets below the giraffes (not sure if this is only for the school holidays?)

5. Osprey71

Osprey71 Well-Known Member

Patrick has been off display since last Saturday. As he is unwell with arthirsts. so they are trying to make him comfortable. Port Jackson shark are only at the zoo for two weeks and they are being released. There is one male and two females Mary doesn't like to noise of the construction site but she was in the main enclosure last Saturday. it is good to have the access to the elephant walk again. but they only let a certain number up there. they moved the Nail tale wallabies to the old dingo enclosure and you cant see them. The old dingo enclosure is next. To the Male red kangaroo. Hope you have a good semester at Uni.

6. Jabiru96

I managed to see four sharks. Also forgot to mention the northern nail-tail wallabies: you are quite correct, with the thick foliage it is very hard to see them (in fact I didn't have any success). I'm pretty sure the previous occupants in that exhibit were quokka.

7. Jabiru96

An escaped male Indian ringneck managed to find his way into the zoo grounds, and is subsequently being cared for until his owner can be found:

No Cookies | Daily Telegraph

8. Osprey71

Taronga visit today. Ned and Kelly the two Emu's in the Australian walkabout have produced one egg. Kelly laid it yesterday. Ned is not sitting on the egg. He is still chasing her around. Keepers hopeful she will lay more. Cleo the wombat that was raised by a keeper, was put down due to illness. Red Panda's Pabu and Amarla have been separated as she doesn't like him. One of the Lemur's had broken his front right arm and it couldn't be saved so they remove it. The day after surgery he was jumping around the exhibit and is doing well. Charlie the male seal may stay at Taronga zoo permantly.

9. Jabiru96

I assume you mean the male Australian sea lion who is on breeding loan from Sea World?

Also, when I visited yesterday one red panda was visible and was making good use of both enclosures (not sure if it was Pabu or Amala, but I think Pabu as he seems to be a bit more 'showy'), although both could have been on exhibit. I assume that this separation must be very recent then?

10. Osprey71

Male Australian sea lion who is on breeding loan from Sea World? They is talk that he might stay.. They seperated them late in the afternoon on Friday. She doesn't like males much she didn't like Hayhem. she chased him up the tree and wouldn't like him down. they separated them to. May she just not interested yet. You know what women are like.

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When responding ..., make it clear it deals with one sub Antarctic marine mammal and one Himalayan carnivore ... It is a bit confusing and confused posting this way.

12. Jabiru96

13. leone

leone Well-Known Member 5+ year member

:)
    Hello, can you tell me that marsupials there will be in the 2
    phase?

14. Jabiru96

Sad news :(. Patrick has died: https://taronga.org.au/news/2016-08-02/gone-not-forgotten

There are no longer any more Victoria crowned pigeons left in Australia :(.

15. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

16. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

That is sad, crowned pigeons are such impressive birds.

17. leone

leone Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hello, can you tell me how it will be the second phase of the 2021 Australian habitat?

18. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

19. Jabiru96

20. Osprey71

The animals that were in the Education centre are now down in backyard to bush. There are several steel cages down there and some you can see over the fence near the wombat dens, near the quokka.

Last edited: 10 Aug 2016