Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo Taronga Zoo news 2016

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Jabiru96, 4 Jan 2016.

1. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

The zoo has acquired two beehives which will be introduced into Backyard to Bush next year: | Taronga

2. Jabiru96

"Get up close to our cheeky Squirrel Monkeys and watch them climb and play as you walk through their Amazon jungle" is the tag-line for a new Squirrel Monkey Jungle Walk opening 21st December: School Holidays

Looking at the supposed location on the map, it appears that they have renovated the orangutan exhibit for this new walk-through? Can anyone confirm this?

Also, looking back at the last time I visited when I noted the elephant platform was open to visitors, it appears that there is a set access time to the tower from 12:30-1pm daily (considering I have not looked at the zoo map in years I may be excused from not knowing this! :D).

3. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

It does look like they have used the orang exhibit for this - the photo on the website shows a large concrete wall for a fence, as well as the map location.

With the tamarins moved to the old gibbon island, and the squirrel monkeys moved too, the Amazonia exhibit is no longer labelled. What happened to the alligators? What are the future plans for this space?

4. tdierikx

tdierikx Well-Known Member

Latest Zoofriends email is offering preview bookings (free) for the Squirrel Monkey walkthrough... I'm booked in for 10:30am on Monday... sweet!

T.

5. Jabiru96

6. Jabiru96

Press release of the new squirrel monkey walk-through: | Taronga

7. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. Jakub

Jakub Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hello Zoochatters,

Next year I will be doing my lifelong trip through Australia and as a zoo-nerd will be visiting some of the best (in my opinion) zoos and wildlife parks which includes Taronga Zoo too. I’m especially interested in native fauna and would like to ask if someone is able to provide list of native mammals being currently kept in Taronga, particulary smaller creatures in the nocturnal house ?
    I’d really appreciate any response.

Jakub

9. BennettL

BennettL Well-Known Member