Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo Taronga Zoo News 2017

Discussion in 'Australia' started by BennettL, 2 Jan 2017.

1. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

• The word hydride refers specifically to single hydrogen bonded molecule and has nothing to do with orang-utans or any other species.
    • The word specie refers to coins, and not biology. The singular of species is species.

:p

Hix

Last edited: 22 Jan 2017
    LaughingDove and jayjds2 like this.
  2. BennettL

BennettL Well-Known Member

Sorry.It must have been auto correction.

BennettL

3. BennettL

4. BennettL

5. BennettL

6. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Well-Known Member

This is not a criticism, but a comment. I was really relieved when the Minor News thread was started, and I think the above three comments illustrate the reason why. The top one is a birth, and thus fairly major news, and I think belongs here. The other two are both puff pieces, of potential interest to some but unlikely to either start discussion or have lasting impact, so they would be better accommodated in the minor news thread. I am actually one of those people who is interested in at least running my eye over these minor news articles, but it's a whole lot easier if they're all in one thread. Just my 2c.

7. BennettL

Alright.Sorry.I posted the post here

By accident but the one above that is a birth update on how they are going for example if one died.

BennettL

8. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

I think the Cottontop births should go in the Small News thread too. It's hardly a rare occurrence.

:p

Hix

9. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Except at Taronga, where its the first birth in ten years and so somewhat significant. Personally I would prefer births to be included in this thread (or whatever relevant zoo thread), while birthdays, etc were in the minor news thread, if they need to be on ZooChat at all.

Incidentally, where are the Cotton-top Tamarins displayed now that the Amazon exhibit has been decommissioned (for lack of a better word, any update on what is happening with that space would be appreciated)? The map shows 'tamarins' in both the old gibbon island and the old spider monkey historic exhibit, are there two CTT groups now or is another species displayed as well?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wholeheartedly agree there zooboy28!

BTW: cotton-top tamarin Saguinus oedipus births may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it is definitely zoo news and thus deserves being put in a zoo news section. Aside, its status in the wild makes any birth a significant event (and not just for Australasia).

Most importantly, despite cotton-top tamarins perhaps being a commoner sight in captivity, it by no means implies they are a safe bet. Wild populations are only at 6,000 individuals at the most with an estimated 2,000 mature individuals and is categorized as critically endangered by IUCN.

Thanks in very good part to the decades' long experience and efforts by the captive global zoo community the species receives more conservation attention in situ now: a 2-pronged approach where wild populations are protected with ex situ funding from zoos and the community supporting the local Colombian zoos in improving husbandry practices for captive cotton top tamarins in Colombian zoos (thus expanding the breeding output) and assisting with advice on potential releases. This program works in tandem with the one for silvery brown aka white-footed tamarin Saguinus leucopus.

11. Osprey71

Osprey71 Well-Known Member

There are two cotton Top Tameran Exhibits. The old spider monkey exhibit holds the Tamerans from the education centres. They are all males. The other one is were Mary gibbon used to live. It has one male and one female and new born baby.The baby was born on 10 December. it was public display on the 17th December when I went to the zoo. (got photos). Mum Esmeralda and Dad Diago. Taronga stated that they didn't know the sex of the baby. Their little son yet to be name. The family is doing well on the island.

Zooboy28 all births and any other information should be put on zoochat. It is a way of finding out things. keep up the information Zooboy28

Last edited: 30 Jan 2017
    zooboy28 likes this.
  12. Osprey71

Osprey71 Well-Known Member

The Fennex Foxes have had baby and they are staring to come out of the den. The exhibit was closed for a while and now it is open again. No photos of the babies as yet.

13. Jakub

Jakub Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hello zoochatters,

I will be visiting Taronga on 20th July and would like to ask you if anyone of us has ever experienced the Wild Australia Experience. I am considering about booking this event as it does promise to have the opportunity to visit behind the scenes area in the Nightlife and it seems to me the only way to get to see the Long-beaked Echidna. I have emailed several times to Taronga if this unique creature is still alive but have not gotten the reply as well as for the list of mammals in the Nightlife which I have been asked for. Moreover it is quite a pricey so I am interested in if it is worth a money. I would be even very grateful for providing any contact to some of the zoo keepers as the more detailed questions ( giving by a zoo nerd ) are not usually answered...I doubt I will ever have the chance to visit Australia in the future and the Long-beaked Echidna is an animal I would die for so I am looking for any possibility to being able to see it.
    Thanks in advance
    Jakub

14. leone

leone Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sapete dirmi come sarà la seconda fase australia ?

15. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

16. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

fase 2 sarà completata intorno 2021

(Phase 2 will be completed around 2021)

17. leone

thank you, che animali ci saranno ?

18. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

animali australiani nel nuovo habitat possono includere wallaby, echidna, bandicoot, ornitorinchi, koala e anguille d'acqua dolce

(Australian animals in the new habitat may include wallabies, echidnas, bandicoots, Platypus, Koalas and Freshwater Eels)

19. leone

ok Thank you, ma i wombat e diavoli no ?

20. steveroberts

steveroberts Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Taronga in Sydney Morning Herald criticised for planning this $43 million new project which is seen by Mosman council apparently as less to do with animal conservation and more to do with tourism dollars.

By the way isnt all news 'big' and 'small' worthy of being here, just my 2c haha. Any animal birth at the zoo can be posted here right?

By the way glad Mogo can take on Willow and Jantan hopefully they can live out their days happily there. Suppose Taronga will wait a few years or more and then become involved with Sumatran Orangutans when there have been more individuals born in Aus or something. Along with Kibabu (etc?) this is the second Ape related retirement from Taronga to Mogo hahaha.