Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo Taronga's Elephant Exhibit?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by NathanRGMan, 20 Jan 2011.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

yes, but it implies that the ostrich exhibit is also empty, as they are currently in the zebra exhibit, while the zebra are with the giraffe. Unless there is another species being kept with the ostrich lately? They haven't brought back the oryx/camel combo have they:D?

2. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

I thought the ostrich were in the exhibit across from the Barbary Sheep viewing area where the former oryx/camel exhibit was and the zebra were in the former rhino exhibit and giraffe in their own exhibits, or have they mixed the giraffe and zebra back together?

3. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

From the Taronga Zoo website:

4. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Where abouts is this information? They hadn't had the giraffe/zebra mix for a few years now but i'm not sure why. All I know is that a stallion replaced a mare (from Monarto maybe?) and I think they hold a bachelor herd of 3 now.

5. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

Initially, the African Waterhole exhibit had been slated to become an African Tropical Savannah precinct, stretching from the gorilla forest right up to below the current orang area and back across to the area where the barbary sheep were.
    Conceptual plans show new exhibits for a range of species, some new to the zoo, such as African porcupine, greater flamingo, duiker, lemurs and colobos, as well as mandrills. Under the plan,the historic giraffe house, and expensive gorilla and chimp exhibits, would be retained and enhanced, with everything else connected by a winding path. Central to the precinct would be a svannah, but also primate boardwalks, kopje exhibits, aviaries, flamingo ponds and exhibits for lion, p. hippo and mandrill.
    but before everyone gets too excited, this was all supposed to have been built by now. Given that many of the 'dream' bird and antelope species could not be imported anyway, this plan looks like it will stay just as it is, a concept, and I predict that unless budget adjustments and capital funds are restributed to the zoos, many of the ideas for 2012 such as the Asian Highlands, Wild Australia, South America and PNG will never materialise.
    of course, we are left with the very exciting wild asia, wollemi, B2B, GSO and major improvements to the heart of the zoo, the bull elephant facility, the food market, entry plaza, carpark and chimp renovation which will form a very good basis for Taronga to go ahead with into the future.
    as for the elephants, the bull exhibit has the capacity to hold two bulls. there is ample room, at this stage to accomodate almost all the male offspring born into the program recently within Australia. Auckland Zoo will come on line hopefully within 5 years with space for up to two bulls, there is TWPZ, and a very expensive and potentially very empty exhibit at Australia Zoo in the future.
    As for splitting the female herds, I would predict mothers and daughters will be kept together, so if any adjustments are made in that respect, I would predict say, Pak Boon and Tunka to be packed up together.
    As for the space issue, at Taronga Zoo, i stick by my point, that a cohesive, multi-generational herd of elephants in a highly interactive and enriched, albeit smaller environment is far more stimulating than a few individual elephants in a larger but perhaps, less enriched paddock. I have said it before, and ill say it again, given that they arent stuck in a shoebox and they are taken out to exercise, i believe captiv elephants are much better off in an exhibit like Tarongas, who, incidentally, have more resources and a bigger budget to keep this environment happening. the success of the program there is reflected not only in reports into their well-being but also, most glaringly, their breeding successes.
    as for expansion, the logical idea, in terms of topogrpahy, relocation of existing animals, and preservation of vehicle and visitor circulation patterns plus the retention of expensive exhibits like the condor aviary and bear enclosure would be to extend the wild asia exhibit up past the tigers towards the meerkats and create a longer, narrower 'forest trek' kind of exhbit with oriental themed gates near to where the fennc foxes currently are which the animals could be walked into. an exibit there could even potentially include closing the path below the tahr, creating a 'culd de sac' effect for visitors to the snow leopard/tahr area, and extend up the slope where red pandas are.
    thats my opinion

6. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

And, as usual, a very comprehensive and well thought out opinion piece.

However, while wishing to take absolutely nothing away from Taronga's unprecedented success with this species, can you say with 100% certainty that the females [and their young] are "taken out to exercise"?

7. torie

torie Well-Known Member

He can't but I can

8. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

All of them?

Every day?

9. Coquinguy

thanks steve, and even without torie's validation the walks program was part of the elephant care program for the herd since they arrived from Thailand. within days of them arriving, they were apparently using the bird show ampitheatre for exercises. shame that the plans to have "elephants cavorting in th harbour" never came to fruition.

10. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

It was never going to eventuate. Just an idea that Guy Cooper had, and mentioned to everyone before it was fully evaluated.

11. Gajah69

Gajah69 Well-Known Member

Not to throw any mud but breeding success in elephants doesn't mean a great program,it just means breeding success.There are many elements to an elephant programme and success should be judged over a substantial period of time.Sorry to hear that an elephant has TB as there is some hard work ahead to rectify this issue.Good luck.

12. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi Gajah69, Is this fact or rumour regarding an elephant at Taronga with TB?

13. Coquinguy

fact. see my other thread

14. Coquinguy

i understand this, but considering the herd was imported to start a 'conservation breeding program', id say breeding success would rate quite highly when youre evaluating the success of the program.
    all other tings considered, a detailed study into the elephant herd from 2006 to 2007 showed high levels of social cohesiveness, good foraging patterns and activity patterns etc, so behaviourally they are going well too.

15. Orycteropus

Orycteropus Well-Known Member 15+ year member