Join our zoo community

SEA LIFE Weymouth Tasmanian king crabs imported

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 1 May 2012.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

3 Tasmanian king crabs have been imported from Australia by the Weymouth centre, one will stay at Weymouth, while the other two will go to centres in Birmingham and Berlin.
    I have seen these animals before at the Sydney aquarium and they have left a lasting memory with me, due to their immense bulk and size.
    A must see animal!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ved-pot-shipped-Britain-aquarium-display.html

Last edited: 1 May 2012
  2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I've seen them at Melbourne Aquarium and agree with kiang, superb animals well worth seeing.

p.s. I liked the mathematically-challenged subtitle to the article: "Claude weighs a mighty 15lbs and measures 15 inches wide and would have produced 20lbs worth of meat"

3. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Oooh, nice! Will have to keep an eye on when the Birmingham animal arrives!

4. Chlidonias

I can't say if the reporting is accurate or not, but the article says "his two companions will be moved to other centres in Birmingham and Berlin if Claude responds well to his new home." which sounds like if Claude dies they will use one or both of the others as replacements.

5. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Chances of me making it to Weymouth any time soon are pretty slim though so an animal moving to Birmingham is still my best bet!

6. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

According to their facebook page, Claude is only going to be in Weymouth for a short time. No news on what happens next though.

7. Chlidonias

"......and would have produced 20lbs worth of meat" ;)