Join our zoo community

Tayto Park Tayto Park

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by GoldenLeopard, 18 Mar 2011.

1. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The tayra, puma and some other species came from rscc and the amur leopards from west midlands. Lee the animal park manager is ex dublin and fota and has strong connections within the zoo world. Although this is a theme park with zipwires etc, the other attractions are a bit away from the animals and the zoo staff are very mindful of the animal welfare re undue disturbance etc.

2. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Having a brief stroll through Tayto Park's Facebook page and it seems they have had two Fishing cat kittens.

3. Stefka

Stefka Well-Known Member

New small aviary was added. (One, but divided in two halves)
    It houses Canaries, Budgies, Bob White Quails, Diamond Doves, Red Legged Partridges, White Cheecked Turacos, Cockatiels, Ring Necked Parakeets and Roul Rouls.

The aviary with pheasants and cranes is now divided as well, with cranes on one side and the rest of the birds on the other.

Fishing cat kittens were there, being all cute and playful :D

Lots of new construction works going on, but most of it seems to be for new attractions, not enclosures. No white lions - they were supposed to arrive in March, but even the enclosure is not build yet, maybe the plans have changed. (Not that I mind, I would be happy if they would decide for something else instead.)

Corsac Foxes got their own enclosure, porcupine enclosure temporarily houses one Serval now.

Haven´t see the Banded Mongooses - does anybody know where they are housed now? I´ve seen them shortly after their arrival in winter, they were temporarily placed in the raccoon house, but I couldn´t see them anywhere last week.

Question about Squirrel Monkey diet - This was a first time I saw a Squirrel Monkey tearing up and eating a chick. Is this a common practice/enrichment? As far as I know, they only get fruit and veg in Dublin Zoo. It was interesting to see.. but I wonder, how the visitors are reacting to this, seeing a cute little monkey with bloody hands ;)

Final tip - you can buy a life-size "toy" stuffed buffalo for 2500 Euro in the Gift Shop :D

4. GoldenLeopard

GoldenLeopard Member

White Lions now set to arrive in June..

5. Stefka

Stefka Well-Known Member

Oh.. thanks for the info.. Do you happen to know any details about their origin? I only heard that they will come from a private breeding station in South Africa..

I´m not happy about that.. I really hope they won´t become one of those institutions claiming that white lions are rare and endangered species..

(Maybe I´m taking it too seriously, but Tayto Park is currently animal institution closest to my house and I wanted them to be "perfect". I really hope they will be truthful about their origin and won´t do anything stupid.)

6. WILLTRAVERSTY

WILLTRAVERSTY New Member

Ah to be sure,to be sure ,to be sure,only in Ireland..Tayto Park,do they display the King Edwards or Ormskirk taxa?

7. Stefka

Stefka Well-Known Member

:D I didn´t see any potato enclosures on my visit..:D

8. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

Tayto Park is a a theme park named after the Tayto crisp factory (a very popular brand of crisps in Ireland) that the owner also owns. There is a factory tour and a North American themed adventure park and a small zoo. The original plan was to house only north American animals as the owner had a heard of some 200 North American Buffalo the addition of other North American animals such as Puma, Black bear and Wolves would have added to this. however the collection seems to be buying everything and anything that comes on the market. They have not got the space for the animals that they have and many are housed in unsuitable mixed enclosures or one species inhabiting the indoor enclosure while another inhabits the outdoor part.

The squirrel monkeys are housed with a pair of skunks and the chicks are intended for them. the Monkeys have obviously developed a taste for them. I think it is very risky in my opinion as we all know the dangers of uncooked chicken and salmonella.

This park lacks imagination and would need to sort out what they have before they bring in white lions or any more large predators. I noticed alsa that the boundary fence is no more than three foot high sheep wire! How they have a zoo licence with those large carnivores I do not know!

9. Stefka

Stefka Well-Known Member

Thanks for your view, Vulpes, I guess I really am looking at Tayto Park with rose-colored glasses.. I really wanted them to be good, you know? ;)

Anyway, I´m not gonna defend them. If they really are getting the White Lions, then the case is closed for me..:(

Just want to comment on some of the things you wrote:

They´re not only buying everything that comes on the market, they are also buying the animals before the suitable enclosure for them is finished. That´s why you always see some really weird mixtures and unsuitable enclosures.

For example - On my first visit last year, the Fishing Cats were in a really small cage. Now they have bigger enclosure with a pool. The small cage now houses Tayras - I believe only temporarily again, until their new enclosure is build. Corsac Foxes are no longer together with Porcupines (thank god). But one Serval must live with the Porcupines now. (It seems that they are simply not prepared for any new arrivals or unexpected situations.) All the weird mixed enclosures are just a result of very bad planning. You´re also right about the indoor/outdoor thing. In winter, Banded Mongooses were temporarily placed in the Raccoon´s house. They are not there anymore.. But I don´t know where they are now.. Didn´t see them last week..

Skunks share the enclosure with Raccoons. Squirrel Monkeys don´t share their enclosure with any other animal, that´s why I was surprised by the chicks.

Haven´t thought of that! Good point!

All in all... I really want to like them, but it´s getting harder and harder. It´s really cool to have animals like Tayra and Jaguarundi so close to my house, but..

10. dublinlion

Seemingly the cranes were attacking the pheasants, so it was necessary to separate them. the long aviary is now been split into sections to separate the pheasant species.

the Jagourundi also have two kittens about the same age as the fishing cats, but the female keeps them well hidden most of the time.

the mongoose are housed off display till suitable enclosure is ready.

11. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

Have the white Lions arrived? I saw an add on TV last night for Tayto Park and it showed an adult male white lion!

12. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

1.0 Fishing Cat born :)

Last edited: 20 Sep 2012
  13. Nisha

Amur Tigers are coming to Tayto Park: Female, Gara left Aalborg Zoo, Denmark yesterday bound for Ireland... she will be none breeding due to her age (12/13)

14. Nisha

15. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

16. dublinlion

Interesting article, I was there last week and they are working on rebuilding a whole section of the zoo around the bison field. There is a huge modern and nice looking enclosure for the tigers and some nice new paddocks for other species and I imagine it will look really well when its finished. (probably a few weeks). All the animals look healthy and well cared for so I was surprised to read that four animals had died and I wonder does anyone know what they were?
    There are some very good things (great species,) and some not so good (smallish enclosures) but I have optimism for the future of this park and hope that they will continue to improve and expand.

17. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

The ban took place 5 months ago, I was there a few weeks ago and the place is still a mess. It appears to me there is absolutely no direction to the collection and they are a dumping ground for everywhere else's surplus. Apparently it is run by a former zoo keeper?? would this place benefit from someone that had a bit more experience running/managing another zoo.

I have to say I am not surprised by the article. I am not sure what animals have died but between my last two visits there is only one squirrel monkey left (they had been kept in an outdoor aviary with just a nest box and no heat) there were fewer otters & the Tayra (Which I did not see first time either) have been taken "off display".

I had a mate when I was younger that kept poultry, he bought up every sort of hen and duck you can imagine. Surplus roosters of every breed. Eventually he had loads of hybrids and his place was such a mess that the birds began to die. I got the exact same feeling last time I visited Tayto park. The muck was all too familiar and there were just too many animals not properly housed or cared for.

If I was the owner I would do a serious shake up and get this place back on track.

Originally it was supposed to be a north American themed park to tie in with the owners herd of Bison. I think if it had of stayed on that track and did it well, then diversified into exotics it would be a different place.

Anyway, here's hoping they pull themselves back together!

18. moloch gibbon

moloch gibbon Active Member

I will start by saying that having visited Tayto Park on two occassions in the past twelve months, I have found it to be an animal collection on the up. If there have been some teething problems currently, then I believe (and personally knowing the animal manager at the park) these will be effectively and expertly rectified. Maybe I'm wrong here, but there can't be a zoo in the UK or Ireland, that hasn't at some point in their history had some form of criticism levelled at them (and some of these not only should perhaps know better, but have been around alot longer than Tayto Park). I have always been impressed on my visits by the standard of animal care, and the passion of all the staff who care for them. For what is still only a young zoo, they punch way above their weight in the amount of, and quality of enrichment they provide for their animals. Most of the enclosures are off a superb quality and built to last (granted,a few areas aren't of such a high standard), but plans were already being discussed on upgrading them. Perhaps some elements need to give Tayto a chance and not be too quick to criticise. Personaly speaking, I love the place, I love what they've achieved in such a short period, and I love the fact that perhaps Ireland will have another major zoo in the not too distant future; there is after all more than enough space for Tayto to join Fota and Dublin at the high table of Irish zoos. Interestingly, one reply to this thread seemed to think that a zookeeper is the wrong person to be running this zoo! Oh dear, I wonder what other profession would be better suited? Personally, I for one am pleased that at least 4 of the biggest and most reputable zoos in the UK are headed by a CEO\Director who cut their teeth actually looking after animals as a zookeeper at the start of their zoo career. And what about the heads if BIAZA and EAZA? The path to their current positions were started at the humble position of zookeeper. Let's hope that all zoos are never only going to be headed by bean counters and administrators with no backgroung or elan in the husbandry of exotic animals. At least Tayto Park have someone in place with the knowledge and passion to drive the place forward. Perhaps some of those less qualified to judge should get off their back and give them a chance; they may even be pleasantly surprised by what they will find.

19. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Well said Moloch Gibbon,what better person to have in charge of a zoo than a zoo keeper!

20. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I knew an old man once who collected all the rare breeds of Poultry and the same thing happened, to the extent he spent all day building fresh runs and getting around the feeding of them all, and eventually they started to get neglected as the mud built up in the runs which weren't being moved about and the birds started to die. It was just all too much for him.:(

What interests me about Tayto Park though is the extremely polarised views on here about its current state. Run down and neglected, or going from strength to strength? :confused: