Join our zoo community

Tayto Park Tayto Park

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by GoldenLeopard, 18 Mar 2011.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There is one... Cotswold Wildlife Park:)- though no doubt somewhere on this Forum there has been the odd adverse comment about something, even there.

2. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just re reading through this thread, my feeling is that all comments have merit because as Tayto is so new things are changing very fast. So depending on when one visits, different opinions will be formed. My own feelings since it opened have been, initially excited and very impressed with the overall feel and unusual species, then some months later it looked a bit messy and unstructured, but on my most recent visit it again looks to be heading back on track and I am confident that it will be a success as the people in charge seem fully commited.

@vulpes, last week the Tayra were on display, a glass or perspex front has been added to the cage which allows much better viewing and the animals look to be in great condition.

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So, any idea what is coming up in the hoofstock stalls?
    Future plans?

I also second that a zoo keeper is a definite plus as a director. FULL STOP.

4. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

A very well written reply, great points and all taken on board, however, a good reply does not mean its a good place.

They were not banned from importing animals for no reason. In my humble opinion, the place is a muddy mess. They need to cut back on the amount of animals, get the enclosures up to scratch and then start bringing in new animals. Monkeys without heat and wallabys bedded on straw are just two of the glaring examples of the below average care the animals were receiving.

If this is the standard of the animal managers basic animal husbandry, then one would doubt how things would be run higher up. After all you cannot button up a coat properly, if the first button is not in the correct hole.

Just on my point about a zookeeper in the role, I was not for one moment suggesting that a zookeeper could not or should not run a zoo and I am well aware of the many zoo keepers that made the climb up the ladder to the top and run the finest examples of zoological gardens in the world, having an intimate knowledge of the profession form the ground up. However, just because you are a good zookeeper does not mean you will be a good zoo or animal manager!

I was not impressed with the place, I could have forgiven a lot had the person in charge not had a zookeeping background, but the fact that they do makes it all the more unforgivable, they should know better!

This place has mopped up a lot of other zoos unwanted stock and I think it is quite by accident that they have such rarities. The collection of gems that they have is more by luck than intent. Had RSCC not closed down they would not have many of the species they now hold, so I dont think they deserve any credit for that!

Like yourself I am very hopeful that the place will improve again. Like dublinlion I was excited and impressed on my first visit. I had high hopes for the place. Unfortunately subsequent visits dashed the initial enthusiasm.

The new meerkat enclosure is quite nice and a small step towards modern zoo design, the place could certainly do with a different perspective on enclosure design, aesthetics, visitor experience and stocking levels.

Again I have to say that I am very hopeful that it can pull itself together. There is by all accounts a lot of money behind the place and I hope it can be guided to the right place. It certainly did have potential to begin with but one wonders which direction the manager has in mind to take the place. I am going to give Tayto park the benefit of the doubt and revisit the place on my next trip over to Ireland. I am very hopeful that I will report back on Zoochat that I have changed my opinion.

5. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don't know if they intend to introduce hoofstock species as they currently concentrate on felines (8 species) and small carnivores (at least 9 species) The only hoofstock at present are Guanaco, Reindeer, Peccaries and the large Bison herd plus several domestic breeds.
    They have added a fine Capercaille pair and Harris hawks in decent enclosures.
    Just thinking about it neither Dublin or Fota with its vast fields keep many ungulates, which is surprising as Ireland has a strong agricultural background.

6. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member