Join our zoo community

Tchentlo Lake Zoo (My Dream Zoo)

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by Van Beal, 15 Oct 2022.

1. Van Beal

Van Beal Well-Known Member

Okay cool. Kinda wanted to show the fauna of Europe from all corners and parts of the continent.

Haliaeetus likes this.
  2. Van Beal

Finlayson’s Squirrel will be replaced by the Caucasian Squirrel, due to the fact that the former is not native to Europe.

Haliaeetus likes this.
  3. Van Beal

Europe Vivarium

There are three rooms in the Europe Vivarium, housing small mammals, herptiles, and birds respectively.

In the mammal room, seven enclosures of 4m2 house various small European natives. The enclosures house 2.3.0 Hazel Dormouse, 1.0.0 European Mole, 2.3.0 Striped Field Mouse, 1.1.0 Eurasian Hamster, 1.1.0 Bicoloured Shrew, 1.0.0 Pyrenean Desman, and 1.2.0 Brown Rat, respectively. The dormouse, hamster, field mouse, and shrew live in grassy field enclosures, the desman in a wetland, the mole in a forested enclosure, and the rats in a mock house.

The second room, the herptile room, boasts eight terrariums of varying sizes, each housing a different species of European reptile or amphibian. The first two look almost identical, being paludariums with mossy ground and a sizeable pool (for the size of paludarium) housing 1.1.0 Fire Salamander Salamandra salamandra and 1.1.0 Danube Crested Newt Triturus dobrogicus, respectively. The next is a dark cave pool home to 3.3.0 Olm Proteus anguinus. The following three house different reptilian species, being 1.1.0 Ibiza Wall Lizard Podarcis pityusensis, 1.0.0 Caspian Whipsnake Dolichophis caspius, and 1.0.0 European Glass Lizard Pseudopus apodus. The final two, again paludariums, are home to 2.3.0 Agile Frog Rana dalmatina and 1.1.0 Yellow-bellied Toad Bombina variegata.

The third and final room, dedicated to birds, is dominated by two aviaries that are split indoor and outdoor. Equal inside, but differing in plantation, the first is densely forested in conifers and houses three different species, being 1.1.0 Western Capercaillie Tetrao urogallus, 3.3.0 Coal Tit Periparus ater, and 3.3.0 Bluethroat Luscinia svecica. The other aviary is sparsely vegetated and home to 1.1.0 Hooded Crow Corvus cornix.

These aviaries wrap up the Vivarium, and soon I will post the remaining enclosures of the European Sector of the zoo! For now, please give your thoughts and ideas for the Europe Vivarium.

Haliaeetus likes this.
  4. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Let's keep this in mind...

Why are you wasting all this space on a European section in North America with many species with honestly, unrealistic chances of acquiring. I mean how do you intend to import 1 live mole? Let alone exhibit them and make them worth the hard efforts to even source one!

Europe has been tightening up their laws to my knowledge when it comes to sourcing animals from the wild for zoos. Basically making it unable to do so unless they come from rehabilitation and rescue centers. Now before you say, well they came from those! There is no shot that any sanctuary here is going to send their mole or any other permanent injured bird across the Atlantic Ocean for them to be displayed in a zoo in North America, unless you invest a lot of money perhaps.

This entire concept would be very good, and honestly really feasible, if it just was this, but American.

If you really want a European area, work with the species that are found within US zoos or private sectors. Because a multitude of these species likely cannot be obtained, I think the hamster is a perfect example of this. Because it's a very critically endangered species and currently kept at zoos in Europe who also work with the species in-situ. E.g. Zoo Leipzig, GaiaZoo and Heidelberg.
    I don't see this species being send to the US any time soon.

That's my blunt opinion.

IndianRhino, Great Argus and TinoPup like this.
  5. Van Beal

I respect the bluntness and honesty of this. Guess I should’ve done much more research than I have done into this.

6. Van Beal

Important Announcement

For everyone who is viewing this thread, I’ll probably take quite a time off from posting on here to make my zoo more realistic in terms of species content, and probably put a map together as well.
    The future posts will still be made on this thread, but @Ursus made very valid points and helped me realize that I’m not doing enough research.

7. Van Beal

I make this post stating that there will be no further posts on this thread, so if admin/moderators see fit to do so, this thread can be deleted.