Join our zoo community

TeaLovingDave's Very Tongue In Cheek 2016 Predictions...

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by TeaLovingDave, 22 Nov 2015.

1. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well someone has changed it's status to being a former holding on zootierliste as I said earlier!

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I suspect someone read what TLD wrote earlier and changed it based off that. This sort of thing seems to be becoming more common on Zootierliste - which is the main issue, I think, with having the site's data able to be edited by any numpty who signs up on it.

3. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Back when I registers on the site, you had to be given editing powers by one of the admins of the site. Not sure if that's changed, however. I think the problem is any numpty who asks can be given editing powers.

~Thylo:cool:

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

The other way round actually - the edit happened about a week ago, and appears to have been made by one of the German editors, with personal communication cited as the source. As the animal in question is/was 20 years old and my digging over the last week hasn't unearthed any indication to the contrary, I assumed it was accurate.

5. Chlidonias

ah, my suspectations have been reversified!

I stand by my opinion about allowing user-editing though.

6. pipaluk

For once it's a shame it wasn't a mistake! Last example of the Sub-species in Europe and seeing any golden cat will now mean the long drive to Devon - does anyone know whether they onshow at Exmoor?

7. TeaLovingDave

Still could be a mistake - until I know the exact source of the personal communication I'd personally trust zoogiraffe's claim the animal is still alive more :p the species *is* onshow at Exmoor; Belfast too, if you can get the flights.

8. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

"A zoochat meet up will be organised at Whipsnade during mid January, during a snow storm one quarter of zoochatters will have perished!"

9. TeaLovingDave

Okay, I've gotten to the bottom of the issue - the Chinese *has* died, but the remaining male Tibetan which has been offshow at Edinburgh for some time has moved to Thrigby Hall. As such, the collection does still have Golden Cat, just not the same subspecies.

10. pipaluk

Thanks for solving this Dave.
    I'm glad they will still have a golden cat at Thrigby.

11. ThylacineAlive

And Edinburgh loses another amazing species...

12. pipaluk

Not great for Edinburgh, but I think they've been offshow there for a while anyway.

13. Chlidonias

better on-show at Thrigby than off-show at Edinburgh, wouldn't you agree?

14. ThylacineAlive

I would and it was only a matter of time before Edinburgh sent him off seeing as he sent the other individuals off a while back, but it is still a shame to see what I've heard was once a great zoo deplete its collection more and more.

15. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What other species have been recently lost?

16. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

One for Birdland & gardens they buy the farm next to the collection and go into more wildfowl & build the countries largest tropical bird walk thru.

17. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

But good news a new sub species of zoochatters will emerge having been living wild in deepest Kent :)

18. Big Rob

Big Rob Well-Known Member

Come on TeaLovingDave,lets have the final instalment. Cant leave us hanging on the edge of our seats.;) Whats going to happen at my local zoo Y.W.P. and are you going to go back and review South lakes/Safari Zoo in light of this weeks developments??:eek:

19. TeaLovingDave

Working on the last post now :p as for SLWAP, I reckon my prediction stands!

20. TeaLovingDave

WELSH MOUNTAIN ZOO will suffer damage over the course of a harsh winter; however successful breeding of Yucatan Margay and Red Panda will draw in the crowds and allow repairs to be funded.

WEST MIDLAND SAFARI PARK will receive further stock for their flourishing group of Mesopotamian Fallow Deer, along with new arrivals including Nubian Ibex and Persian Gazelle.

WILDWOOD TRUST will receive European Mink, Scottish Crossbill and Purple Heron.

WINGHAM WILDLIFE PARK will receive various cast-offs from the Aspinall collections, including Nilgai, Western Guereza and Golden-bellied Mangabey.

WOBURN SAFARI PARK will complete the equine species set with the arrival of Hartmann's Mountain Zebra, Kiang and Kulan from Tierpark Berlin; however, the Wildebeest, Bongo and Gemsbok will all depart the collection over the course of the year.

YORKSHIRE WILDLIFE PARK will abandon work on their polar bear complex, and after polishing up the existing enclosures will use the space originally allotted for the remaining exhibits for the construction of a large mixed exhibit for Musk Ox, Eurasian Forest Reindeer and Alpine Chamois.

ZSL LONDON ZOO will send their African Hunting Dog group north to Whipsnade, with the enclosure standing empty for much of the year until it is repurposed for Caracal. The collection will successfully breed Aye-aye, at which point the taxon will once again move off-display for the foreseeable future.

ZSL WHIPSNADE ZOO will receive African Hunting Dog early in the year; however the harsh winter will kill off the remaining Plains Bison, whose enclosure will be left to stand fallow for much of the year. Towards the end of the year, the collection will go out of Gaur and replace them with the more sustainable Banteng, and announce the arrival of Mishmi Takin on the old Bison Hill.