Join our zoo community

TeaLovingDave's Very Tongue In Cheek 2016 Predictions...

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by TeaLovingDave, 22 Nov 2015.

1. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think we should be told

Prophecy is a funny business :)
    I was reminded of this recently when I reread a piece written for The Observer by the great Michael Frayn; I keep two old and treasured paperback collections of them to make me laugh in the smallest room. Mr Frayn speculated about the methods that Harold Wilson and Lyndon Johnson might have used when they discussed the future of Anglo-American relations (I did say it was old). He rather hoped that they chose gyromancy or geloscopy as their techniques for divination: these are, as you may have forgotten, ways of making prophecies by dancing until you are dizzy or by laughing hysterically.
    This made me wonder how TLD made his predictions. We all know that ZooChat moderators are chosen for their superpowers, like the all-seeing Chli. We also know that Dave has an intimate knowledge of both mustelid taxonomy and the Byzantine complexities of Byzantine history, but who knew that he can also foretell the future? How does he do it?
    I am afraid I cannot believe his claim that he simply sticks his tongue in his cheek. My detailed research (typing 'divination' into Wikipedia and clicking on 'methods') revealed 369 named techniques – none of which involve tongue/cheek proximity.
    The obvious answer is phyllomancy, prediction using leaves, and more specifically tasseography (also called tasseomancy) using tea leaves. However I wonder if this is feasible for such large scale prediction production. I think many gallons of PG Tips would be needed and it would be hard to interpret the patterns made by hundreds of thousands of tiny leaf fragments. The larger leaves of a nice Earl Grey might be a better choice, particularly as all the bergamot fumes might provide some extra stimulation. Perhaps industrial scale prophecy would be easier using heavy duty hardware like a crystal ball for crystallomancy or an adder stone for lithomancy.
    Alternatively Dave might have been inspired by the rich heritage of Northumbria, the home of the animal loving St Cuthbert and St Bede (promoted to the Premier League after many centuries of being merely Venerable) who could be invoked for hagiomancy. On the other hand, ever since the Viking raided Lindisfarne, the Norse influence has been strong there too; so perhaps TLD has been casting runes, a form of cleromancy.
    But I think that he probably chose a method that involves observing animals. A classical choice would be haruspicy, studying the internal organs of sacrificed animals. I became slightly suspicious when I realised that Dave had not added the phrase 'no animals were harmed in the making of these predictions', but I can't believe he would ever use this method. The other great classical method is augury, prediction by observing the flight of birds. Unfortunately the famous seabirds of Northumbria are mostly out at sea now, making augury very laborious as searching the skies for hours might still not produce a statistically valid sample. Winter weather would make myrmomancy difficult too as no self-respecting ant is very active now, even in this mild season. Melomancy, prediction by observing moles, looked more promising initially, but Wikipedia is ambiguous – are these moles fossorial or cutaneous? This nagging doubt has undermined my trust in melomancy.
    Finally the word ailuromancy struck my eye – that must be a joke, I thought, prophecies based on the behaviour of pandas have caused Edinburgh Zoo no end of disappointment: but it's also called felidomancy because it's actually based on cats, which exposes my ignorance of Greek. I think this is the most plausible answer, but am I right? Has TLD been catwatching? I think we should be told ;)

Alan

I know TLD won't mind my pulling his leg, but I will post a Christmas present for him in the Gallery tomorrow to compensate.

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Bravo :D if drinking tea gave me precognitive powers I suspect I would have needed to tread a lot more carefully to avoid letting anything *too* sensitive slip!

3. mr.felidae

mr.felidae Well-Known Member

what about whf?

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Here it is in black and white, though maybe a little earlier than predicted.

I wonder how many others on TLD's list will come to pass- btw, surely he has to use tea leaves?

5. TeaLovingDave

I was only a shade over a week out :p

6. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Definitely in reflective mood this morning, be interesting to see how many predictions came to fruition.

7. TeaLovingDave

Looking through them just now, more than I actually expected, given the majority were very much tongue-in-cheek or based on pure guesswork - but several which I genuinely *did* think would come true have not :p one of which, at the present time, looks likely to be precisely the reverse of the true state of affairs.......

8. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You were wrong on several of the more predictable deaths, thankfully!
    Hopelessly optimistic about Marwell as so many blindly are, but got one of the highlights of my year correct, the Ratel birth at Howletts.

9. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

And luckily very wrong about the loss of wildcat and langur!

~Thylo

10. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They don't seem to have made much publicity about this important breeding success- presumably the young(single?) is still doing well but the only reference I've seen is here on Zoochat.

11. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I believe there are two youngsters, at least as of when I visited. Didn't see them, though, unfortunately.

~Thylo

12. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I only saw one youngster and the mother (I assume) when i visited in October

13. dillotest0

dillotest0 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well that came true!

14. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

One out of two ain't bad (though the timing was a little awry).

;)

15. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I would like to see the return of this thread series.