Join our zoo community

Temporary Exhibits

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by MonkeyBat, 16 Mar 2020.

1. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about other regions, but here in the US it's pretty common for zoos and aquariums to have temporary exhibits. They usually are usually a one year thing, attracting guests during the summer or spring. Here are some examples

Minnesota Zoo's Africa, Kangaroo, and Llama Exhibits

Exhibits with temporary frog or jelly displays

White Alligators (NC Zoo, Hogle Zoo, Brookfield Zoo) or Koalas (Santa Barbara Zoo, Kansas City Zoo, Indianapolis Zoo)

Sometimes even giant animatronic "bugs" or dinosaurs

Does anyone have any other examples?

2. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sacramento Zoo:
    • In 2007 and then again in 2008: the zoo had a temporary Magellanic penguin exhibit.
    • September 2019 to February 2020: the zoo had a temporary exhibit with animatronic dinosaurs

MonkeyBat likes this.
  3. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Cincinnati's Adventure Down Under that took over the Children's Zoo in 2006
    - Western Kangaroos, wallabies, cape barren geese, kookaburras, cockatoo, emus, taipans, stonefish, koalas, and dedicating their free flight aviary to lorikeets. My favorite exhibit when I was a kid.

Newport Aquarium:
    Their 2004 Hidden Treasures of the Rainforest Islands atrium was a permanent expansion.
    - Home to otters, pythons and lorikeets
    - Later converted for white alligators
    - Then turtles and tortoises
    - Then otters again, lizards and a Snapping turtle
    - Now it's permanently a stingray touch tank.

4. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That sounds a great deal better than the new Australian zone opening later this year. A real shame it was only temporary. Do have any photos of this exhibit?

5. Moebelle

Before I posted I edited this part out: "Unfortunately there are barely any photos online". You can find some on Flickr.

Now it sounds ideal, but most of these exhibits were/are meant for domestic animals. It would be more criticized than the Reptile House if it existed today.

Since most of the habitats still exist, here's a virtual tour.
    1. Cape Barren Goose (no longer exists): Feb. 2017 - Children's Zoo - King Penguin/African Penguin Exhibit - ZooChat
    2. Little Penguin (no longer exists, were already at the zoo before Australia): Apr. 2013 - Penguin Walkabout - Little Penguin Exhibit - ZooChat
    3. Snakes, fish, walking sticks and Koalas (building was renovated): Aug. 2019 - Children's Zoo - Animal Ambassador Center (4 Species) - ZooChat, Dec. 2019 - Children's Zoo - Animal Ambassador Center - Palawan Bearcat Nursery - ZooChat
    4. Kookaburra, original crowned lemur (typical cage, no longer exists)
    5. Salmon-crested cockatoo (May 2013 - Childrens Zoo - Southern Three-banded Armadillo Exhibit - ZooChat)
    6. Emu: Dec. 2019 - Children's Zoo - Petting Zoo - ZooChat
    7. Kangaroos and wallabies: Spaulding Children's Zoo- Blakely's Barn- Jacob Sheep exhibit - ZooChat, Children's Zoo- Blakely's Barn- Dexter Cattle yard - ZooChat, Aug. 2012-Nigerian Dwarf Goat + Miniature Donkey/Alpaca exhibits - ZooChat, Apr. 2013 - Childrens Zoo - Alpaca + Llama Exhibit - ZooChat

pachyderm pro likes this.
  6. The Speeding Carnotaurus

The Speeding Carnotaurus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In a similar vein, Brookfield Zoo has had a Lego animals exhibit, live arachnid exhibit, and a dinosaur/dragon exhibit that featured a Komodo dragon among other reptiles.

MonkeyBat likes this.
  7. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Milwaukee County zoo has had in addition to anamatronics temporary stingray exhibit

MonkeyBat likes this.
  8. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I personally haven't seen many temporary exhibits with live animals at zoos. (though I have seen some at museums) Usually the temporary exhibits I see at zoos are sculptures or animatronics.

In 2018 the Gladys Porter Zoo did set up a temporary exhibit for a tiger cub. Someone tried to smuggle him over the border in a duffel bag, person was caught and the cub was brought to the zoo for a short time. Got a lot of media attention. They had him on display in the children's area with a setup talking about wildlife trafficking. This was only for a short time until a permanent home could be found for him. I went to the zoo last year and the display was still up even though the tiger cub had been relocated.

evilmonkey239 and MonkeyBat like this.
  9. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

While it hasn't been done for nearly 15 years, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo used to do special exhibit every few years. Including Warthogs/Aardvarks (1995), Koalas (1998), White Alligator (1999), Giant Fruit Bats (2000), White Tigers (2001), Butterflies (2002), and White Lions (2005).

10. Keiikoa

Keiikoa Member 5+ year member

Universeum: Temp. ice age animatronics on the top roof in 2015

Also had a Dinosaur animatronics temp. exhibit in 2012, 2013 and 2019. currently is going to have a insects temp. exhibit
    They also had a ”deadly but beautiful” exhibit for a while, but is now replaced with a general reptilarium with venomous snakes, spiders and gila monsters

MonkeyBat likes this.
  11. Moebelle

Indianapolis
    One habitat in the middle of their Forest exhibit:
    - Bats! (Straw colored and Island flying foxes - 2011): Forests - Bats! - ZooChat
    - Koalas (2015, they were at the zoo in 2008, could've been in the same place): Jun. 2015 - Forests - Koala Exhibits (Temporary) - ZooChat
    - Red Ruffed Lemurs (2016)
    - Macaws (2017 - now most likely permanent since they expanded the habitat): May. 2018 - Forests - Indoor Macaw Exhibit - ZooChat and Feb. 2017 - Forests - Future Macaw Exhibit - ZooChat

Last edited: 24 Mar 2020
  12. Matt G

Matt G Well-Known Member

Bronx Zoo's Dinosaur Safari ran from 2013 until 2019, when it returned unexpectedly for the summer month.

13. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

All panda exhibits, right?

Otherwise, in Europe there is no such thing as a temporary exhibits unless you stray so far into the meaning of temporary that all exhibits can be so called because they are all sadly transient and ephemeral, pushed along in the tide of a changing society with changing standards and ideas. Otherwise, I haven't heard of any temporary exhibits except perhaps exhibits that are built to hold a species until their newer, better enclosure is polished up.

14. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

During the late 80s and early 90s Cincinnati had temporary exhibits for
    Giant Panda
    Golden Monkey

not both at the same time though

15. Matt G

Matt G Well-Known Member

Were those exhibits for giant pandas and golden snub-nosed monkey decent or outdated?

16. Moebelle

17. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

They were not outdated at the time. The temporary exhibit enclosure was built specifically for the Giant pandas and re-used for the Golden monkeys (and later for the Komodo dragons)

18. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Prague had temporary exhibits for poison dart frogs, spiders and scorpions...

TeaLovingDave likes this.
  19. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I had thought that I read somewhere that the Golden Monkeys had the Lemur Rock to live on (or was that ibexes?)?

20. Moebelle

Baboons and then later ibexes on the rock. I've only ever heard the golden monkeys had the Komodo exhibit but in this instance it would be great if I was wrong.

ZooBinh likes this.