Join our zoo community

Ten Largest Aquariums

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Arizona Docent, 7 Aug 2017.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Corbett477 likes this.
  2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I'm not going to bother checking the figures in that video, but I'll be betting the rankings are rubbish. The obvious thing I see with the selection is that it appears to be a mix of individual tanks and entire aquariums and marine parks. It's kind of like listing the biggest aviaries but combining individual aviaries and whole bird parks together.

Corbett477 and d1am0ndback like this.
  3. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes I am not sure how to check the stats. I assumed they were counting the total volume of water at the facility, but it is an assumption and could be wrong.

4. temp

temp Well-Known Member

Without going into full details, Chlidonias is right and they're basically mixing apples and oranges. The order is also way off, but looks suspiciously similar to listings I've seen before. I presume the author googled it and more-or-less copied the first list he/she saw. Particularly remarkable that they forgot both China's Chimelong and Singapore's Marine Life Park. If listing based on single tanks, this is still correct overall, but there would be a some changes if relying on full aquarium size (i.e., combined volume of all tanks at an aquarium)

Corbett477 and Arizona Docent like this.
  5. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

csartie likes this.
  6. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Maybe-but certainly not the best. What does size tell us about quality? Exactly-nothing.

And where Seaworld is on it, Seaworld is also in it, namely a today rather critically questionable, extremely commercial facility with stores, restaurants, carousels and a bit of animals in often suboptimal husbandry.

Corbett477 likes this.