Join our zoo community

Terror Skinks

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Kawekaweau, 12 Apr 2017.

1. Kawekaweau

Kawekaweau Well-Known Member

Terror skinks are a species I have only known of for a relatively short amount of time, but I've already fallen in love with them (so to speak). It appears, however, that there are no terror skinks in captivity. As they are endangered and live on a low-lying tropical island I would've thought that their conservation would be a high priority. Seeing as New Caledonia's Noumea Zoo has several native reptiles already, would it not be possible for them to start a captive breeding colony?

2. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Possible, yes, but unlikely. Very little is known about this species in the wild, other than it seems that it mainly preys on other reptiles. A much better understanding of the species' biology would probably be necessary before any such undertaking was attempted. Out of interest, though, Noumea Zoo do (or did) have the closely related Garnier's Giant Skink, Phoboscincus garnieri, on display, and a picture of it is in the gallery.

3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There has been a lot of work on the behaviour of the New Caledonian crow in the field and in the lab and I think the kagu has been studied too. I think there are opportunities for zoos to support conservation work in New Caledonia, perhaps including in situ breeding, if this were deemed appropriate for any native species. It may however be too late for the diademed lorikeet.
    As I have written here before, a New Caledonia exhibit with crows, kagu, horned parakeets and giant geckos might be fascinating for an adventurous zoo - all these species are kept and bred ex situ, albeit in small numbers. One day other reptiles, mainly skinks and geckos, and birds such as the cloven-feathered dove and the New Caledonian parakeet might be available too.

animal_expert01 likes this.
  4. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Swampy and Crowthorne like this.
  5. Swampy

Not the first one i've seen, but much better quality than the image that comes up on google search. On an unrelated note, has the theory discussed at number 4, of Bornean elephants being introduced Javan elephants, actually been confirmed? I thought that was just speculation.

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

DNA testing has shown that they are distinct from other living elephant populations, suggesting that they are either native to Borneo (but with no archaeological record) or native to Java (really the only other option). As far as I know it hasn't been proven, but the various threads of evidence strongly suggest it to be so.

Swampy likes this.
  7. Swampy

This youtube video was uploaded 2 days ago, and includes footage of a wild P.bocourti:

skip to 6:59 for the actual skink footage

vogelcommando likes this.